No announcement yet.

Beware of the fourth!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The next run of game's are vital not just for league position but it'll show if we've picked up from where we left of on Saturday. If we're to progress through the playoffs and into the final its a must that we play how we played Saturday. Decent/convincing passing, players actually wanting the ball and the key for me is the way we attacked. If we can carry on like that, I personally wouldn't care who we get drawn against.
    SIR LESLIE FERDINAND!!

Comment

Originally posted by stanistheman View Post
      no, it's probably because they have better players:

Carson Perch Beausejour Crainey Ramis Boyce McEachran McArthur McManaman Jordi Gómez Fortuné
      Caldwell Maloney Espinoza Powell Barnett Al-Habsi Collison.

with the exception of Simpson I'd rather any of theirs.
      Their midfield is younger fitter and better.
      I attack Morrison and Austin are better.
      I would also prefer Rosler to Redknapp as manager.
      Perhaps Green Barton Simpson Austin, Morrison,
      Such better players but never been above a pensioners team playing terrible all season.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Mcleod View Post
        Such better players but never been above a pensioners team playing terrible all season.
        Mate they've also played a load more games then us - I reckon if they hadnt been in europe they'd be top 2 or certainly above us..

Comment

Originally posted by maidstone_hoop View Post
          Mate they've also played a load more games then us - I reckon if they hadnt been in europe they'd be top 2 or certainly above us..
          And maidstone mate, i reckon without the worst luck with injuries in the history of football, we would of got autos. Thats how it goes, but the only thing that matters is the reality.

Comment

Whats happened before matters not, what happened in the league against play off rivals matters not, the league season finishes and then a knock out cup competition starts and its the team that handles the pressure best that usually comes out on top, win three games and you'll win the cup.The most important thing for any team is to have there key players fit for those three games

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Mcleod View Post
              And maidstone mate, i reckon without the worst luck with injuries in the history of football, we would of got autos. Thats how it goes, but the only thing that matters is the reality.
              I completely agree with you on that - if we kept austin, simpson and phillips fit all year i reckon wed be second now and not worrying about playoffs

Comment

Originally posted by maidstone_hoop View Post
                THIS

Comment

Originally posted by 12321 View Post
                  In the 18 years that the play-offs have been in operation,

The team finishing fourth has only won it once!!!!

3rd has won it 7 times
                  5th """"""""""""6 times
                  6th """"""""""""4 times.

Quirky or significant? Stats can be spooky....

Not correct Sir

27 years of Playoffs from Our Division to the Top division (bearing in mind name changes)
                  Highest placed placed team (3rd now, but was initially 4th bottom of Top Division) have won 10 times - 37% approx.)
                  Second highest (4th currently, but originally 3rd) have wonit 5 times (18.5% approx.)
                  Third highest (5th, or 4th originally) have won it 7 times (26% roughly)
                  Forth highest or lowest (6th currently) have won it 5 times (again 18.5% approx.)

I could provide evidence and all teams involved, but you're possibly bored already.

Comment

wigan dont bother me as their support is shite!
                    you know nothing john snow!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by QPR1976 View Post
                      Not correct Sir

27 years of Playoffs from Our Division to the Top division (bearing in mind name changes)
                      Highest placed placed team (3rd now, but was initially 4th bottom of Top Division) have won 10 times - 37% approx.)
                      Second highest (4th currently, but originally 3rd) have wonit 5 times (18.5% approx.)
                      Third highest (5th, or 4th originally) have won it 7 times (26% roughly)
                      Forth highest or lowest (6th currently) have won it 5 times (again 18.5% approx.)

I could provide evidence and all teams involved, but you're possibly bored already.
                      Good research there, I had forgotten about the one from above contesting the play offs.

Do you still think it would work today or is the present system better?
                      In some ways the top three finishers going up seems fairer, but the playoffs are more exciting in a gladiatorial way esp for the neutrals.

Comment

Originally posted by 12321 View Post
                        Good research there, I had forgotten about the one from above contesting the play offs.

Do you still think it would work today or is the present system better?
                        In some ways the top three finishers going up seems fairer, but the playoffs are more exciting in a gladiatorial way esp for the neutrals.

Playoffs are a lottery, but they are exciting and currently 9 clubs are hopeful of getting promoted with just 4 games to go. Last season, there was almost as many still capable on the final day !
                        Of course, less exciting & more nerve wracking if your team is actually involved.

There probably is a case for top 3 promoted automatically but after 30 years of playoffs, I doubt it will change anytime soon.

I do think involving the 3rd bottom team from Top division as they did the first 2 years in 85 & 86 was unfair as that team would be in the habit and mindset of losing regularly, whereas the 3rd, 4th & 5th teams in the second tier, would be in much greater form. Also 3 teams would have played 8 more games than the other team.

Comment

who we play is of no importance, what team of ours turns up is the thing to worry about

Comment

we shall overcome...
                            PRIDE OF LONDON.

Comment

Originally posted by Quaz View Post
                              who we play is of no importance, what team of ours turns up is the thing to worry about
                              Totally agree mate.
                              If we get into the play off semis, the squad simply has 3 games to give it there all.
                              Can't be any excuses, just get the job done.

Comment

It doesn't matter who we get it's all about who puts in the performance on the night. Also it doesn't matter if we play home or away first, people say we want the 2nd leg at home but what if we are 3or 4 down from the 1st leg the second leg will be insignificant anyway. Just take what comes our way and perform...simples

Comment

Working...
                                X