Ian Holloway / Jamie Mackie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ian Holloway / Jamie Mackie

I was guilty of chastising Ian Holloway the player.

Christ on a bike did we miss him when he'd gone.

Just saying for the benefit of all the "Get Rid of Jamie" gang.

I'd agree JM isnt going to be the most pleasing on the eye, isnt going to beat people on mazey runs and probably isnt going to get more than 8 goals a season in the Prem.
    But FACT is we'll need him next season at whatever level we are at.
    Short memories..... pivotal moment last season probably a substitution home v Liverpool.... look it up all you newcomers.

Walking along, singing a song.....
    I need some time in the sunshine, I gotta slow it right down.

Same as Hill and Derry. They cant balance a ball on their nose like a seal, they can only play football and this weekend has shown again how players with good attitudes and 100% determination can overcome so called better players.

Comment

The guy has been lucky to last this long in the Premiership. He is a bang average Championship player. Trying your best will only get you so far in life. We are now in the top flight and Harry has recognised we need quality if we're going to start winning games. A pre-requisite for a professional footballer should be:

1. A good first touch
      2. Awareness
      3. Composure
      4. Ability to pass to a team mate
      5. Not to throw your hands up in the air when you do something wrong...............again
      6. Just generally contribute to match rather than going missing

If we can get more than 200k for him I will happily drive him to the club that wishes his services.
      First game: Arsenal vs Queen's Park Rangers at Highbury, Saturday 17th November 1984.

Comment

I doubt Mackie would be so loyal if we get relegated he would stay as those bids will come again and would surely go

Had enough watching him fighting hard but nothing coming out of it

Comment

Don't think getting rid is the answer... However 3 million seems a good deal.

Comment

Originally posted by HammersmithR View Post
            The guy has been lucky to last this long in the Premiership. He is a bang average Championship player. Trying your best will only get you so far in life. We are now in the top flight and Harry has recognised we need quality if we're going to start winning games. A pre-requisite for a professional footballer should be:

1. A good first touch
            2. Awareness
            3. Composure
            5. Not to throw your hands up in the air when you do something wrong...............again

If we can get more than 200k for him I will happily drive him to the club that wishes his services.
            Dave,
            Your points 1 to 4 are possessed by players such as Cisse, Scott Sinclair, Bos****a and probably even Just Shirts Park. Unfortuantely their attitude, fitness and commitment isnt there.
            I'm sure we'd all love to see the Brazil team of the 70's or Barca playing in blue and white hoops but it just isnt going to happen.
            We need to put out teams with balance.... piano shifters like Ian Holloway.
            There's plenty of players at clubs like Sjoke who have carved out careers based almost entirely on fitness and commitment and like it or not there will always be a place for this in the modern game.

We need Jamie Mackie and the fact that other Prem clubs are after him should tell sensible intelligent people something.
            I need some time in the sunshine, I gotta slow it right down.

Comment

Think the guy is a massive reason why we create so little in games and hardly ever look like scoring more than 1 goal in a game. We are just waiting for Tarabat to do some magic. We can't just rely on him the whole time!
              First game: Arsenal vs Queen's Park Rangers at Highbury, Saturday 17th November 1984.

Comment

he tries hard, score a few goals and shows some level of effort and committment
                he lacks genuine quality and if we have serious aspirations to go forwards as a club, then he isn't good enough to be part of that
                nothing against the bloke, seems decent enough but sometimes in life, triers are not always enough, you need a more quality, served us fairly well but time to move him on IMO

Comment

Originally posted by LBLOCK View Post
                  Dave,
                  Your points 1 to 4 are possessed by players such as Cisse, Scott Sinclair, Bos****a and probably even Just Shirts Park. Unfortuantely their attitude, fitness and commitment isnt there.
                  I'm sure we'd all love to see the Brazil team of the 70's or Barca playing in blue and white hoops but it just isnt going to happen.
                  We need to put out teams with balance.... piano shifters like Ian Holloway.
                  There's plenty of players at clubs like Sjoke who have carved out careers based almost entirely on fitness and commitment and like it or not there will always be a place for this in the modern game.

We need Jamie Mackie and the fact that other Prem clubs are after him should tell sensible intelligent people something.
                  Heard that someone in Chelscum forum wrote the same line about Boswinga last summer.

Comment

Originally posted by HammersmithR View Post

1. A good first touch
                    2. Awareness
                    3. Composure

On anther thread a week or so ago, you said he only scored two or three goals last season, so surely a critic should know the facts on the subject they are talking about, otherwise they just make themselves look a tad silly.

Another spin on your example of what makes a good football player

v Man City last season
                    1. A good first touch (Great first time header)
                    2. Awareness (Exceptional the way he met the ball)
                    3. Composure (Exceptional)
                    4. Ability to pass to a team mate (N/A)
                    5. Not to throw your hands up in the air (Used this technique superbly to get his balance)
                    6. Just generally contribute to match rather than going missing (Put is 2-1 up)

If you want me to done another one highlighting your points for the goal he scored against Liverpool, let me know.......
                    Last edited by paulmason; 28-01-2013, 10:31 AM.

Comment

I'd agree JM isnt going to be the most pleasing on the eye, isnt going to beat people on mazey runs and probably isnt going to get more than 8 goals a season in the Prem.
                      Short memories..... pivotal moment last season probably a substitution home v Liverpool.... look it up all you newcomers.

That's an excellent post and a very balanced view LBlock. There are just too many people who think our team should be littered with pure footballing superstars who, by the way, if all played together, would leave us with zero balance and no grafters. It's a bit like the Liverpool fans who slated Lucas as being the absolute worst player in the world - because he's Brazilian they expected him to be like Pele - when in fact he is just a superb defensive midfielder. Boy did they wake up and smell the coffee when he was out long term.
                      It takes me back to when we were in the Championship and supporters used to destroy Gavin Mahon on a weekly basis. He's pony, what does he do, league 2 at best etc etc etc.......he wasn't blessed with pace or skill or a whole lot of other stuff for that matter, he just got on with his job and people hated it because they expected more. Just how much did we miss him when he got injured?
                      I know the answer, I remember just how much we struggled without him..............but those misty eyed fantasists that expect 11 world beaters on the pitch for QPR every week will just ask Gavin who? :drunk:
                      #standuptocancer
                      #inyourfacecancer

Comment

Good post LBlock, completely agree. We bang on about these overpaid, lackluster players we seem to be stuck with, yet want to move on one of the few genuine, honest hard working players in the side, no doubt to be replaced by yet another overpaid lazy player.

In our current situation Mackie is a player we need IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluehoop View Post
                          That's an excellent post and a very balanced view LBlock. There are just too many people who think our team should be littered with pure footballing superstars who, by the way, if all played together, would leave us with zero balance and no grafters. It's a bit like the Liverpool fans who slated Lucas as being the absolute worst player in the world - because he's Brazilian they expected him to be like Pele - when in fact he is just a superb defensive midfielder. Boy did they wake up and smell the coffee when he was out long term.
                          It takes me back to when we were in the Championship and supporters used to destroy Gavin Mahon on a weekly basis. He's pony, what does he do, league 2 at best etc etc etc.......he wasn't blessed with pace or skill or a whole lot of other stuff for that matter, he just got on with his job and people hated it because they expected more. Just how much did we miss him when he got injured?
                          I know the answer, I remember just how much we struggled without him..............but those misty eyed fantasists that expect 11 world beaters on the pitch for QPR every week will just ask Gavin who? :drunk:
                          Well said- excellent post.

Comment

We need grafters who have the same attitude than Mackie, but just more quality.

Comment

Ref the comment highlighted above, he isnt going to beat people with mazy runs.... no he isnt, so it's all the more frustrating that he tries to do so every time he gets the ball... he's clueless in posession and more often than not makes the wrong decision.

As for Liverpool, yes was a pivitol moment and that was one of his better finishes, when most are shocking. However, that goal was as much to do with Young's header through and the fact Enrique messed up comopletely allowing the ball to get to Mackie.

As for Holloway, he was a much better player for the Team than Mackie could ever hope to be. His graft was done to allow Wilkins to pull the strings and it was totally about the team needs... with Mackie, he is one of the greediest players i've seen and tries to do it all himself, hence the "mazy runs" comment above. He needs to reassess his opinion of his own ability, or lack of it and tailor his game accordingly, in which case he'd be a far better cog for the team.

Comment

Working...
                              X