Why the cup matters to us...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the cup matters to us...

Let's never buy into that 'now we can concentrate on the league' nonsense after a cup defeat. Let's try and avoid cup defeat by not treating it as a distraction on the park or off it.

Firstly, evidence shows that plenty of clubs have enjoyed strong league form during a cup run. Not all, but enough to know that being turfed out of the cup does not increase survival prospects. Secondly, our position is salvagable but we're still odds on for the drop, so a cup run would engender confidence. Confidence and melding a side together are the things we need above all, and cup games represent an opportunity to guage progress with a bit less pressure. Thirdly, depending on circs, it gives us a chance to do what we can't necessarily do in the EPL: play a forward looking, positive game.

I'd like to see us give it a real go, not just pay lip service to the idea. Don't know why, but I think Harry may have a positive attitude towards the cup - unlike Warnock, and I don't recall Hughes firing them up to really have a go.

What d'you reckon?

I think Harry is taking the Cup seriously but can't afford injuries to key players.
    I think Taarabt will start though, with Granero n Faurlin in side as well.
    Remy maybe on bench with Mbia

Comment

I agree.

'Melding' - good word that too. Can't remember ever reading it in a footballing context either!

Comment

We need to start with our strongest squad so as not to give MK Dons any chance for a surprise and then as soon as the score becomes comfortable, we can take Remy off.
        QPR fan since1987

@yousef_qpr

Comment

I cant imagine we wouldn't go into this game looking to win it. Every game is a confidence booster when it is not lost and that confidence will be taken into league games.

Comment

Winning an FA Cup match never did anyone any harm.

Comment

i hope we play a strong team , it would be a disaster to lose to a team in div 1 , also this team needs a lift i know i do and a good cup run with a few goals is in order

Comment

I hope we play a weak team, resting key players for the two PL matches next week.
                Banning people is no longer my hobby,
                but take a look at my photo blog:

http://kirillqpr.blogspot.com/

How and why did I start supporting QPR in Estonia:
                http://www.wearetherangersboys.com/forum/blog.php?b=852

Comment

Originally posted by Kirill View Post
                  I hope we play a weak team, resting key players for the two PL matches next week.
                  This.

If we can't rotate the squad and beat MK Dons then we don't deserve to be in the Cup. And staying in the PL would look tough too. We have 3 games in 8 days, Remy isn't 100% fit and people want him to play in them all?

If anything, I'd put Remy and Adel on the bench and bring them on for the last 20/25 minutes. Imagine how much damage they'd do to a tired MK Dons?

Comment

I `m up for the cup !!
                    Remember knockng Palace out ( and all the agg) in 82?
                    Remember Clive Allens knee vs WBA ?
                    The walk to Wembley ?
                    Terry`s equalizer ?
                    The " Currie gives Hoddle the runs " banner ?

Come on you R`s:yush::yush::yush::yush::yush:
                    Rangers,Scooters ,Tunes and Trainers

Comment

Originally posted by Will M View Post
                      This.

If we can't rotate the squad and beat MK Dons then we don't deserve to be in the Cup. And staying in the PL would look tough too. We have 3 games in 8 days, Remy isn't 100% fit and people want him to play in them all?

If anything, I'd put Remy and Adel on the bench and bring them on for the last 20/25 minutes. Imagine how much damage they'd do to a tired MK Dons?
                      Me too. There is less chance of them getting injured in 25 minutes than there is if they play the first 65 minutes when the tackles are flying in.

The bottom line is, if Tarbs or Remy get injured, we're going down. We need victories, and these two are the only players we have who pose any credible attacking threat.

Comment

Anybody know if Zamora is going to play?

Comment

Haven't heard any news. I'm hoping to see Hoilett and Granero play a bit too if fit.

Comment

Green

Onuoha
                            Ben Haim
                            Hill
                            Traore

Hoilett
                            Mbia
                            Granero
                            Faurlin

Bothroyd
                            Zamora

Comment

Might as well use Nelsen. He's going anyway so it does not really matter if he gets injured.

Comment

Working...
                              X