we seem to have got over the mental block of not winning away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• we seem to have got over the mental block of not winning away

I did post last month that once we get that elusive away victory, I can see more coming. We have now won two on the trot.

I remember Leeds after winning the title in 92, the next season they had the best home record in the division, but failed to win even one game away from home. They were clearly still a good side, who had the players to win away from home, you do not go from demolishing the likes of Wednesday 6-1 at Hillsborough to being totally rubbish away from home the next season just like that when you have more or less the same team, but it was just a case of losing a few away from home, losing confidence, and then getting a mental thing about playing away from home.

Now that we have started winning away from home, hopefully we can go into these matches with confidence. Our away fixtures for the rest of the season are

Hammers
    Swansea
    Villa
    Southampton
    Fulham
    Everton
    Reading
    Liverpool

Apart from the Merseyside clubs, there is very little difference in quality of players between us and our other opponents. So I think a realistic target would be 4 wins and a draw. That gives us 27 points.
    I would say 40 points will be a safe bet, so that means we need to find 4 wins and a draw at home.

Our home fixtures are

Man City
    Norwich
    Man Utd
    Sunderland
    Wigan
    Stoke
    Arsenal
    Newcastle

Once again, I accept we will probably lose to the Manchester clubs. Arsenal can be drawn. So we have to win 4 out of 5 against the other teams. With the players coming in, we will have a lot more fire-power up front. The defence seems to have improved, we're not not conceding many goals (forget about Liverpool, that seems like a one-off).

So it is definitely in our hands, and definitely very possible. We can't look back and keep blaming Mark Hughes, he did not leave us in a mathematically impossible position, we have a squad that is at least as good, if not better, than most of the teams we are to play, and I am feeling quietly confident.

Originally posted by Marshy View Post
    I did post last month that once we get that elusive away victory, I can see more coming. We have now won two on the trot.

I remember Leeds after winning the title in 92, the next season they had the best home record in the division, but failed to win even one game away from home. They were clearly still a good side, who had the players to win away from home, you do not go from demolishing the likes of Wednesday 6-1 at Hillsborough to being totally rubbish away from home the next season just like that when you have more or less the same team, but it was just a case of losing a few away from home, losing confidence, and then getting a mental thing about playing away from home.

Now that we have started winning away from home, hopefully we can go into these matches with confidence. Our away fixtures for the rest of the season are

Hammers
    Swansea
    Villa
    Southampton
    Fulham
    Everton
    Reading
    Liverpool

Apart from the Merseyside clubs, there is very little difference in quality of players between us and our other opponents. So I think a realistic target would be 4 wins and a draw. That gives us 27 points.
    I would say 40 points will be a safe bet, so that means we need to find 4 wins and a draw at home.

Our home fixtures are

Man City
    Norwich
    Man Utd
    Sunderland
    Wigan
    Stoke
    Arsenal
    Newcastle

Once again, I accept we will probably lose to the Manchester clubs. Arsenal can be drawn. So we have to win 4 out of 5 against the other teams. With the players coming in, we will have a lot more fire-power up front. The defence seems to have improved, we're not not conceding many goals (forget about Liverpool, that seems like a one-off).

So it is definitely in our hands, and definitely very possible. We can't look back and keep blaming Mark Hughes, he did not leave us in a mathematically impossible position, we have a squad that is at least as good, if not better, than most of the teams we are to play, and I am feeling quietly confident.

Thats when football and especially QPR will hurt you.

I think we are down personally

Comment

Originally posted by SpankwiR View Post
      Thats when football and especially QPR will hurt you.

I think we are down personally
      Has the season finished then?
      Supporting QPR isn't just about a football team. It's about roots and identity.

Comment

Originally posted by QPR Richard View Post
        Has the season finished then?
        No but I think we have left it too late.

Comment

I thought that after the Liverpool game. But now we have come back from it, our confidence is high, and with the new arrivals, I can only see it getting higher. Keeping three clean sheets in a row must give the defence a lot of boost, and now we're getting better players up front, hopefully things will work out.

Comment

We are down when the maths say so, until then we have to believe we can do it. A positive attitude from the fans will feed into the players.
            Supporting QPR isn't just about a football team. It's about roots and identity.

Comment

Originally posted by QPR Richard View Post
              We are down when the maths say so, until then we have to believe we can do it. A positive attitude from the fans will feed into the players.
              I agree and hope the fans do get behind them 100%. I'm just so scared of getting too optimistic too early. I still see a lot wrong with that team

Comment

the way harry sets us up, playing deep and soaking up pressure, suits playing away from home. now we are not routinely letting in two or three goals it will often mean that one goal will be enough to nick it.

Comment

Not sure it was a mental block........more like mental tactics

Comment

Originally posted by stainrodisalegend View Post
                    the way harry sets us up, playing deep and soaking up pressure, suits playing away from home. now we are not routinely letting in two or three goals it will often mean that one goal will be enough to nick it.
                    Lets be honest we have played better but we have also been lucky the last 3 games.

Comment

Don't give up. The gap is only 5 points....

Any of these teams could lose 2 in a row, and we could quite feasibly win 2 in a row at any time. That would be the gap gone immediately.... we have 16 games left. AS for 40 points, cab't see it being that high, or even as highj as last year. There are some really poor sides, Villa, Reading i don;t think will get close to that, and who knows of others like Wigan. I think this year it may need 35.

Comment

It is the same as it ever was. Roughly 37 points means survival whatever other teams do.
                        That is the best way to think of it too avoid mood swings when Reading win etc
                        Mountain to climb and best to expect it will go to the last few games - would love to be safe for the last home game vs Newcastle - party time at LR for the fans after so much pain would be well deserved!
                        Still fancy it myself because I reckon H&T will do what it takes in January and Harry is a proper football manager.

Comment

I really fancy us staying up, there is all to play for and i'll be damned to just roll over and not try, bring on West Ham!

Comment

Working...
                          X