£2 million bid for Odemwingie rejected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DouDou_87 View Post
    Fair point, although I didn't say a young Championship striker was the only alternative. I'm pretty sure we could get a younger and just as effective forward for £4m or less. Or someone in on loan. Michu was just £2m for example. I just find the concept of paying out a decent sum of money on a 31 year old, yet again, quite depressing.

Is he vastly different to what we already have? Where would he play and who's place would he take?

It will obviously be money well spent if we stay up, but to say Peter Odemwingie will get us enough goals to avoid relegation is a bit ambitious IMO.
    You want to get relegated? We don't have time to gamble on young strikers who may or may not come good. Michu before the season started was a gamble. A great gamble at that but had he failed Swansea would have had time to get a replacement in.

Odemwingie is a proven goalscorer at this level. He has more to his game than that as well. He runs at players and gets a fair few assists. Decent bit of business.

Comment

The Michu signing, whilst one of the best of the Summer was something of a freak. Remember, all the big EPL Clubs have good scouting networks and they didn't spot him. Laudrup managed in the Spanish league last season and Michu put in a stormer home and away against Mallorca, without really being noticed by anyone else. So this is not a good example of "how to find a player on the cheap" unless of course you happen to bring in a manager from a foreign league with an inherent knowledge of players such as Michu and Flores!!
      #standuptocancer
      #inyourfacecancer

Comment

Originally posted by Bluehoop View Post
        The Michu signing, whilst one of the best of the Summer was something of a freak. Remember, all the big EPL Clubs have good scouting networks and they didn't spot him. Laudrup managed in the Spanish league last season and Michu put in a stormer home and away against Mallorca, without really being noticed by anyone else. So this is not a good example of "how to find a player on the cheap" unless of course you happen to bring in a manager from a foreign league with an inherent knowledge of players such as Michu and Flores!!

Bit more than having stormers against Laudrups side, he scored 15 goals in La Liga..... it's amazing no other came in for him on such a paltry amount.

Comment

other thing about michu, look at Cisse at Newcaslte 2nd season he is doing nothing, lots of players come in and do well first out.

Comment

I follow la liga like all moroccans, michu is well known. English scouters are just lazy and read only names mentioned in English newspapers thesun dailyfail etc.. I bet they know nothing about the youngster Getafe player Berrada for example

Comment

Originally posted by Del View Post
              Bit more than having stormers against Laudrups side, he scored 15 goals in La Liga..... it's amazing no other came in for him on such a paltry amount.
              The problem is, unless you are scoring those goals against Barca or Real, no one really takes any notice.
              #standuptocancer
              #inyourfacecancer

Comment

I think there is information overload about players with stats and youtube and prozone and agents promoting and the like but I am not convinced much of that of real value.
                But it probably reduces the willingness to take a risk - because nobody wants to go against the stats. But building a team from stats is never going to work.

Comment

Originally posted by rockandroll View Post
                  I follow la liga like all moroccans, michu is well known. English scouters are just lazy and read only names mentioned in English newspapers thesun dailyfail etc.. I bet they know nothing about the youngster Getafe player Berrada for example
                  I don't think it is an English thing, Italians, PSG, Russians as well as our scouts never spotted him. Even the big Spanish clubs never spotted him and they must have played against him. As someone on here said, it was a freak. Also generally save for Torres and Liverpool era spanish strikers have been poor, Barca and the national team have often dominated without a striker. He's only now being mentioned in terms of the Spanish team. Cannot recall a Spanish striker doing well abroad to be honest, so this may have been a factor. He does look quality though.

Comment

The exact type of play we need I think.

Comment

Originally posted by MYU View Post

The exact type of play we need I think.
                      Brom would be mad to let him go, but who ever said that football was a sane buisness.....
                      Minds Are Like Parachutes.
                      Work Best When Open...
                      @Nowt2SeeHere

Comment

Originally posted by TBLOCKRANGER View Post
                        I don't think it is an English thing, Italians, PSG, Russians as well as our scouts never spotted him. Even the big Spanish clubs never spotted him and they must have played against him. As someone on here said, it was a freak. Also generally save for Torres and Liverpool era spanish strikers have been poor, Barca and the national team have often dominated without a striker. He's only now being mentioned in terms of the Spanish team. Cannot recall a Spanish striker doing well abroad to be honest, so this may have been a factor. He does look quality though.

Hah! Soldado, Negredo, Villa, Llorente. Every one of those would have been a regular in the England first 11 for years now. And probably several others besides them. Raul too - he had a couple successful years at Schalke after leaving Real.

If Spain dominate without a striker, that's because they have several of the best midfielders in history and play in a particular style that doesn't really require a big man up top. No reflection on the quality of the strikers themselves - they have several world class options.

A great example of the Classico blinkers we have in this country.

Comment

Originally posted by rockandroll View Post
                          That is without doubt nonsence money is all that matters to football owners they would not tolerate lazyness from scouts when it gets in the way of bargains that can be sold on for a profit or help to bring success at a cheaper price

Comment

Originally posted by zeberdee View Post
                            I think there is information overload about players with stats and youtube and prozone and agents promoting and the like but I am not convinced much of that of real value.
                            But it probably reduces the willingness to take a risk - because nobody wants to go against the stats. But building a team from stats is never going to work.
                            someone needs to read Moneyball.

Comment

People need to look at our situation.

Strikers like this may be 31, but we need to offer more than 2m for him because he is worth more, especialy in Jan and especially to a club rooted to the bottom in the year that will see TV money to us go up by 57%.

No one else will come here, especially if they have relegation pay cuts in their contracts. We can only get older players, players no one wants or unproven youngsters.

We are not the most attractive girl at the bar right now, so we may have to pay a lot more on over-priced drinks to have a sniff.
                              twitter @silvercue

soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by DouDou_87 View Post
                                Fair point, although I didn't say a young Championship striker was the only alternative. I'm pretty sure we could get a younger and just as effective forward for £4m or less. Or someone in on loan. Michu was just £2m for example. I just find the concept of paying out a decent sum of money on a 31 year old, yet again, quite depressing.

Is he vastly different to what we already have? Where would he play and who's place would he take?

It will obviously be money well spent if we stay up, but to say Peter Odemwingie will get us enough goals to avoid relegation is a bit ambitious IMO.
                                Well it was you who plucked the £4m figure out of the air, no idea what he would cost. but he has scored something like (and this is off the top of my head) 27 goals in 67 prem league starts which is class. a 26-year-old proven prem scorer is going to cost a lot more. danny graham has a season in the prem, can't get into the swansea first team, and is already being talked of at 6/7m. i don't want to sound like a cheerleader for ottemwingie, just saying im not sure who is better out there and proven for the same kind of money.

Comment

Working...
                                X