• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's got to stop.

Fans group warns over backlash against Premier League ticket prices

http://m.guardian.co.uk/football/201...-ticket-prices

And more
    http://m.guardian.co.uk/football/201...-ticket-prices
    Last edited by 80sCasual; 10-01-2013, 09:19 AM.
    Queens Park Rangers
    NPower Champions 2010/2011

PREMIER LEAGUE 2011 - ETERNITY (Oh well got that wrong, we'll be back though)

Posted in another thread, but will repost here too:

There are some realy important aspects to this debate.

1. The football clubs say there is a demand so keep putting prices up, even though PL clubs get enourmous revenue from TV now and will get an additionl ~57% next year. They don't need to keep abusing the loyalty of fans - especially as it is only to fuel the greed of players, managers and agents. Nothing else.

2. The cheapest season ticket at Arsenal (and other top PL clubs) is much more expensive that the most expensive at Barcelona. At Barcelona the season ticket includes all games, not just league games. A single ticket at Barca is expensive - the reason is that they are REWARDING loyalty by making a season ticket work out great value. This is the way it should be IMHO.

3. Football in Germany is where they really have got it right. It cost 15 euros to watch Bayern in possibly the best stadium in the world. 25 Euros to sit in a nice seat. You get all city transport thrown in. They have the highest gates in the world.

4. Man Utd had a 20+ year waiting list for season tickets not so long ago. Now they have none. This has tied in with big price increases there (and some other things I am sure, but mainly the price). They are still cheaper than QPR, but I think it shows there is a limit and we can't push it much more.

QPR are the worst team at the moment - we should not really be expecting people to pay these prices. The club are driving to maximise revenue, but the TV money will be the money, not the ticket prices. There is a real trend now for away allocations to send back lots of tickets, even with the big clubs (except UTD and Liverpool) because people just can't/won/t pay stupid money anymore. If action isn't taken it will get worse.

A good reason to have more club-fan-league interaction.
    twitter @silvercue

soundcloud

Comment

German league should be the blueprint for the world.

Comment

Germany have it spot bolock on
        http://twitter.com/Mellowhoop

Comment

German league isn't as exciting as the Premier League or even La Liga though, would be their argument. Agree about the blueprint of getting stadium full on cheaper prices. Peoples football for the people should return, especially with the huge increase in TV revenue from next season!

Comment

What's exciting about the Premier League though? Seeing the same 3-4 teams challenging for title every year? Great fun! Was only good last year due to us on last day and the top 2 both bottling it until City actually came back with some nuts

Comment

And La Liga is about as exciting as the SPL IMO. Don't get me wrong, it's got some exciting players but I find it impossible to watch unless its el classico and even that just gets so frustrating as both teams just cheat all way through. So boring to watch

Comment

Have some sympathy but fans can't have it both ways. Do they want to see top international talent in the Prem League? If so 15 quid tickets won't do it. Yes TV money is more important but clubs are having to maximise revenues across the board to pay the transfers and wages for top world talent - which fans are demanding. Would you really want to return to a pre-Ronaldo Premier League of largely British honest toilers with not too much skill? The German model is a recipe to make the Premier League like a glorified Championship. Football is becoming one of our big industries and I can't see change any time soon.

Comment

this is a massive issue, I refuse to pay over 30 -35 max for a ticket, its just to much money for a football game. 55 quid for Chelsea, that away game was one of the biggest for Rs fans and they didnt sell out. Clubs have got to adjust their gates down to keep the atmospheres. Its ok for us at the moment as we have a low capacity but for teams like the hammers in the olympic stadium it would kill the atmosphere if half full

Comment

I agree about wages but if ll top clubs agreed to a bit of solidarity and a wage cap then you would see players dog for te right reasons, not for who pays the most!

Comment

get rid of expensive seats, bring back standing !

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
                        get rid of expensive seats, bring back standing !
                        i know this sounds basic but in principal i agree ,but, if you are a child, woman or short bloke its almost impossible to see! i remember the 80s stanfing on tip toes etc. if the tickets are 30 quid ish you want to be able to see all the game. BAck in the 80s it was 6 quid, not much even in those days

Comment

I've been to a couple of games in Germany over the last year or so.

1) They are definitely as exciting- quality football with quality players
                          2) The prices are brilliant- 18 euros when I paid on the day for Hertha Berlin match
                          3) Atmosphere was unreal
                          4) Fans absolutely loved it
                          5) Stewards were relaxed and there to help you enjoy yourself
                          6) Stadiums were good too
                          7) An area of the stadium allocated for fans that wanted to stand

Add to that well priced food, decent pints of good quality beer that you can take in the ground and stuff going on before and after the game. German football without doubt is the model to follow.

Much like everything else in this country, football is being ruined by a small number of powerful, uninformed, greedy profit driven t**ts at the top.

Comment

Originally posted by DouDou_87 View Post
                            I've been to a couple of games in Germany over the last year or so.

1) They are definitely as exciting- quality football with quality players
                            2) The prices are brilliant- 18 euros when I paid on the day for Hertha Berlin match
                            3) Atmosphere was unreal
                            4) Fans absolutely loved it
                            5) Stewards were relaxed and there to help you enjoy yourself
                            6) Stadiums were good too
                            7) An area of the stadium allocated for fans that wanted to stand

Add to that well priced food, decent pints of good quality beer that you can take in the ground and stuff going on before and after the game. German football without doubt is the model to follow.

Much like everything else in this country, football is being ruined by a small number of powerful, uninformed, greedy profit driven t**ts at the top.
                            100% spot on. Worked in Berlin for a while and see a few games loved it out there. And the beer is so nice, but strong though

Comment

i was in cologne last year, they were playing on a sat, there were fans chanting in the town centre, good banter mostly, they get 60000 gates, Podolski scored the winner. Crowd were mental, 15 euros

Comment

Working...
                              X