We do not have a poor squad......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We do not have a poor squad......

If the players we have played to their ability we would not have a problem. It's just they aren't. Granero, Cisse, Taarabt, Hoillet, Faurlin, Cesar, Traore and even Bosingwa would get into most sides in the bottom half of the table if they played to their ability.
    I saw Granero play a lot for Real Madrid and was very decent. Traore was Arsenal first choice for long period, Cisse was great last year, Hoillet highly rated newcomer, Cesar/Bosingwa Champions league winners......

Problem is with these players is that there are at the club purely for the money, no other reason. None of them have ever been in this sort of situation and there attitude starts with 'I'm too good to be playing at a club that's bottom' and gradually gets worse as we let more goals in. That coupled with the huge divide in wages from the players that got us promoted, has caused a toxic anti team ethic throughout the club. Hughes should have seen this coming and given the Mackies, Hill etc a decent rise. Problem is he thought they'd be out the club in January as they wouldn't be playing any games.....how wrong he was.....

Agree that we needed to buy 2 x centre halves preseason but according to TF and MF they tried desperately to do so.

The challenge now for Harry is trying to get the bad attitudes out of the team and get them playing. Problem is the situation has got so bad that its probably too late.
    :drunk:

Yep - remember at the start of the season many wereall predicting a top 10 finish? Thats the same bunch of players we now have.
    You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by kingy10 View Post
      If the players we have played to their ability we would not have a problem. It's just they aren't. Granero, Cisse, Taarabt, Hoillet, Faurlin, Cesar, Traore and even Bosingwa would get into most sides in the bottom half of the table if they played to their ability.
      I saw Granero play a lot for Real Madrid and was very decent. Traore was Arsenal first choice for long period, Cisse was great last year, Hoillet highly rated newcomer, Cesar/Bosingwa Champions league winners......

Problem is with these players is that there are at the club purely for the money, no other reason. None of them have ever been in this sort of situation and there attitude starts with 'I'm too good to be playing at a club that's bottom' and gradually gets worse as we let more goals in. That coupled with the huge divide in wages from the players that got us promoted, has caused a toxic anti team ethic throughout the club. Hughes should have seen this coming and given the Mackies, Hill etc a decent rise. Problem is he thought they'd be out the club in January as they wouldn't be playing any games.....how wrong he was.....

Agree that we needed to buy 2 x centre halves preseason but according to TF and MF they tried desperately to do so.

The challenge now for Harry is trying to get the bad attitudes out of the team and get them playing. Problem is the situation has got so bad that its probably too late.
      I am disappointed as I thought Harry's man management might sort the players out and give them self belief but this appears to have failed so far. The players are o inconsistent.

Comment

I lays said people were well over optimistic as I thought 15th but after the first few matches I knew we were in the s.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfy View Post
          I am disappointed as I thought Harry's man management might sort the players out and give them self belief but this appears to have failed so far. The players are o inconsistent.
          I thought so too, but the last two games.......

Comment

Thats the problem, we think these players are better than they actually are.
            Time we all wised up and realised apart from a couple, our squad is decidedly average and is in the position it deserves to be.

Comment

Hughes tried to sign Giroud and Brazilian international centre-back Dede in the summer. A lot of work was put into it - former went to Arsenal the latter decided to stay in Brazil in the hope of a bigger club. What we did get were players who, for various reasons, were available providing they got an exorbitant wage. Hughes, Rigg and TF consistently aimed too high and appeared to be dazzled by players who'd been at big clubs, been successful and, none of us saw it at the time, but came to QPR with zero motivation once they got their paycheck.

Norwich got it spot on with recruits over the past 18 months: bringing in the likes of Howson, Pilkington and Johnson - giving them a chance to play top flight football where other clubs wouldn't have done. That breeds a bond with the club, loyalty and a desire to prove a point to other clubs and managers who may have looked down on them. The problem is, I feel, we have players - SWP, Cisse, Bosingwa etc - who've played at some of the biggest clubs in the world, won titles, played in world cups etc, who, having got their contract feel they are doing us a favour simply by turning up on the pitch in a QPR shirt and we should be flattered by their presence.

Comment

For me one of the main problems has been the differences in wages paid to players.

No I dont think Derry, Hill and Mackie should have had big increases to bring them in line - rather the wages offered to the new signings should have been in line with what a small, newly promoted club should be paying i.e £30-45K per week mone of this £50-70K they are rumoued to be paying.
                If the players rejected the terms, then QPR should have made moves for lower league or players from abroad wishing to make a name for themselves i.e. Rhodes, Austin, Snodgrass, Michu etc.
                The disparity in wages between the squad has clearly shown division amongst them.

The other problem was a lack of squad planning by Hughes.
                In defence:
                Two inconsistent CBs in Ferdinand and Onouha and two older ones in Nelsen and Hill.
                And the inexperienced Fabio to challenge the injury prone and inconsistent Traore.

In attack:
                The injury prone-low scoring-Zamora and long term injury-waiting to happen-Johnson and the tempremental Cisse.
                Hughes had chosen Hoilett, Mackie and Taarabt as back up strikers.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfy View Post
                  I lays said people were well over optimistic as I thought 15th but after the first few matches I knew we were in the s.
                  For most being critical of ones team is like being critical of ones wife, I think lots of people knew the signings were not up to scratch and just in it for the money but like with the Mrs what you think and what you say can for obvious reasons be completely different.
                  Last edited by TBLOCKRANGER; 31-12-2012, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TBLOCKRANGER View Post
                    For most being critical of ones team is like being critical of ones wife, I think lots of people knew the signings were not up to scratch and just in it for the money but like with the Mrs what you think and what you say can for obvious reasons be completely different.
                    You old romantic, you.

Comment

Almost to a Man, our players have underperformed week in, week out.
                      Had they played to their full potential, we would not be where we are.
                      These are indisputable facts.
                      Nobody, but nobody, predicted the scenario we now find ourselves in, at least I don't recall anybody doing so in June/July.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHRANGER1982 View Post
                        Nobody, but nobody, predicted the scenario we now find ourselves in, at least I don't recall anybody doing so in June/July.
                        Well, we would have all laughed at them if they had.

Comment

The league table doesn't lie , we do have a poor squad , why is poor because it so poorly balanced , at the end of last season we had a team that finally learned to perform in this division under the new manager , at that time we didn't need a raft of new signings , a goalkeeper , centre back and a centre forward , what we got was a pattern of buying that made no sense and wrecked any team spirit , the blame for this lies firmly with the board of directors and The CEO , they sign the cheques , so in there roles as custodians of the club , after the January transfer window in which MH's signings were a mixed bag , it was time for the board to ask more questions regards the close season transfer policy .

Kingy , I afraid I have to question your assertion that Traore was first choice at Arsenal for a long time , Traore played 13 games for Arsenal .

Comment

Originally posted by brightonr View Post
                            Well, we would have all laughed at them if they had.
                            It would have been unthinkable, ludicrous even to suggest such a thing.
                            Which is why I am firmly in the camp of those who think Tony Fernandes has been harshly judged by some.
                            Hindsight is a wonderful thing, we are all gifted with it.
                            Foresight though, if only just a few of us had, had it.

Comment

Every player comes to a club for money. The only ones who would play for free are fans.
                              But the league table looks that way because the squad is average in quality and unbalanced and looks randomly assembled.
                              There is more to buying players than stats and reputations and even simple things like character and team player matter big time to a good manager.
                              People often think that means Ryan Nelsen but if you watch great players like Messi they show great character and team ethos too.

Comment

Working...
                              X