I feel really sorry for Green - the goal WAS his fault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gator View Post
    For those who haven't had this view of it, take a good look and tell me the striker didn't foul Green just as he's about to play the ball! It's the 3rd post down!

http://www.wearetherangersboys.com/f...-blunder/page2
    ok, from that angle, what we can see is the ball is in the air, the striker is going backwards to meet it (nothing wrong with that), and Green puts his arms on his back before he even backs into him! So their striker could easily argue that he was being nudged and so he was nudging back.

The funny thing is, I want to believe Green was not at fault because he looked so devastated that the goal went in. But I like to be fair, and if we had scored that goal, how many of us would be saying "their keeper should not have got in that position in the first place, goalkeepers are overprotected, it was their keeper who was nudging first" etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshy View Post
      keeper should not have got in that position in the first place
      So what? How is that in any way relevant when Green was clearly and deliberately obstructed before the 'goal' was scored?

Comment

Definate foul but Green could still have done better while being leaned into. And his step that takes him back into the goal was a poor decision.

Comment

ok, from that angle, what we can see is the ball is in the air, the striker is going backwards to meet it (nothing wrong with that), and Green puts his arms on his back before he even backs into him! So their striker could easily argue that he was being nudged and so he was nudging back.

The funny thing is, I want to believe Green was not at fault because he looked so devastated that the goal went in. But I like to be fair, and if we had scored that goal, how many of us would be saying "their keeper should not have got in that position in the first place, goalkeepers are overprotected, it was their keeper who was nudging first" etc.

You sum up my view Marshy. If we had scored that goal I would have wanted it and would be gutted if it had been chalked off. Plus if this comes down to Green being fouled surely his push is the first infringement so its a pen???

Im still bemused as to why Green retreated not just backwards but behind his goal line and then still tried to palm the ball over the goal from behind his bar. Saying it was a foul is just making excuses for him. He caused his own problems with that goal.

We should not even be debating if it was a foul as he should have just cleared the geezer out instead of going backwards and made the ball his own.

Comment

I feel really bad, he has been putting in some good performances, and working hard. But having looked at the goal on MOTD, I agree with Shearer. Green's positioning was awful, and their striker was just standing his ground. Green should have realised he was behind the goal and instead of trying to tip it over, he should have punched it out.
            Nah, can't agree with either you or Shearer. The first time I saw it, I certainly didn't think it was a foul - but after watching it over and over I've come to the conclusion that it is a foul. Becuse, Furtune has no intention whatsoever of hitting the ball himself. He is clearly pushing Rob Green backwards, with no intention to even jump for it and reach it before Green. That is why it is a foul, he focuses on the player instead of the ball.

On the other hand, Ceasar would've handled it much better - and that's why he should be picked.

Comment

Originally posted by Ric-Roc View Post
              I'm more likely to listen to top referees who have called thousands of these decisions in they're careers over those planks on MOTD who lets be honest are paid handsomely to talk crap.

Personal opinion.
              shearer pre-empted what he said by saying something like "youre asking the wrong man (ie striker) but", he often takes the strikers side, fortune never made any attempt at the ball, he never looked up, he didnt jump to head it, he dug in his heels
              and pushed back. on top of that he did give a shove, however small. so it must be a foul. green probably should be stronger but he also runs the risk of appearing to foul fortune and giving away a pen.

Comment

Exactly that mate.

Comment

I bet Cesar is in goal next game

Comment

Slight nudge or not, what is undenyable is Green Fu$%ed up by running back a yard over his own goal line before the playerr was near him, which allowed Fortune to position himself on the goal line and hold his ground effectively taking Green out of the game. He has every right to hold that position. Yes he gave a slight nudge, which many would say is a foul, however, even without that i don't think Green would have got enough on the ball to stop it dropping on the goal line and a tap in for someone.

When he got in that state, surely the only option was to reach and punch to get as much distance on it to reposition if nothing else... For the life of me i can't understand his decision making to try and push it over the bar, when he's behind the line (even without that nudge). At best he'd have pushed it into the roof of the net, not over.

Awful all round. Almost as bad as the mess he created against Fulham with that shocking pass to Onouha, then when returned awful kick straight to Rodelega and then when he fell on his backside and luckilly they managed to miss an open goal.

I know he has backers on here but imo he never ever looks comfortable when he has time to think about things and tends to create errors out of nothing, ala Fulham, which gift other teams chances / goals / initiative. Yes he makes saves, but blimey so does Cesar and then some. For me Cesar must play as a lot more composed, happy with the ball, plays from the back better and faster and is at least Greens equal when it comes to shot stopping, probably better.

Comment

Originally posted by Del View Post
                      Slight nudge or not, what is undenyable is Green Fu$%ed up by running back a yard over his own goal line before the playerr was near him, which allowed Fortune to position himself on the goal line and hold his ground effectively taking Green out of the game. He has every right to hold that position. Yes he gave a slight nudge, which many would say is a foul, however, even without that i don't think Green would have got enough on the ball to stop it dropping on the goal line and a tap in for someone.

When he got in that state, surely the only option was to reach and punch to get as much distance on it to reposition if nothing else... For the life of me i can't understand his decision making to try and push it over the bar, when he's behind the line (even without that nudge). At best he'd have pushed it into the roof of the net, not over.

Awful all round. Almost as bad as the mess he created against Fulham with that shocking pass to Onouha, then when returned awful kick straight to Rodelega and then when he fell on his backside and luckilly they managed to miss an open goal.

I know he has backers on here but imo he never ever looks comfortable when he has time to think about things and tends to create errors out of nothing, ala Fulham, which gift other teams chances / goals / initiative. Yes he makes saves, but blimey so does Cesar and then some. For me Cesar must play as a lot more composed, happy with the ball, plays from the back better and faster and is at least Greens equal when it comes to shot stopping, probably better.
                      Best post on the thread IMHO.

Comment

Whilst it was defo a foul Green has not done himself any favours at all. Why the f u ck didnt he punch the ball rather than slap it into his goal?

Comment

Foul.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdave View Post
                            Whilst it was defo a foul Green has not done himself any favours at all. Why the f u ck didnt he punch the ball rather than slap it into his goal?
                            Don't think he could reach it properly as the bloke was stood leaning back into him.

Comment

my old mans a ref and has no biased opinion being a manc supporter but said it was a defo foul as the player gained an unfair advantage 3 times. 1. he had his arms wide out backing into the keeper and also 2. at no time did he attempt to go for the ball and 3. only intended to obstruct the keeper

Comment

Originally posted by brightonr View Post
                                Don't think he could reach it properly as the bloke was stood leaning back into him.
                                Wrong.

Think about it for a second.... to punch it he'd only need to reach the side of the ball nearest to him.

To flap at it and claw it back into the goal, which he did spectacularly, he had to reach the far side of the ball.

Basically he should've, and could've punched it after getting himself in the stupid predicament in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                                X