I feel really sorry for Green - the goal WAS his fault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ric-Roc View Post
    Read my post properly then respond, don't pick some random words out. Cheers.
    It wasn't obstruction, it was holding his position. There is a difference.

As for the backing in, there was no contact between the two.

Comment

If that's your opinion then ok. I'll say no more.

Comment

Yep, that's what it comes down to mate, opinion. I would like to think it was not his fault, because the look on his face was terrible and I felt for him, but I just think it was.

Comment

All about opinions. Even though i do think it was Greens fault, i stull want him to continue starting games as he is a good keeper.
          Top Scorers 2018/2019

Nakhi Wells - 8
          Pawel Wszolek - 6
          Luke Freeman - 6
          Matt Smith - 6
          Ebere Eze - 4
          Joel Lynch - 3
          Tomer Hemed - 3
          Toni Leistner - 2
          Massimo Luongo- 2
          Angel Rangel - 2
          Bright Osayi-Samuel - 2
          Geoff Cameron - 1
          Aramide Oteh - 1
          Jake Bidwell - 1
          Jordan Cousins - 1

Summer Transfers 2019

IN

OUT

Comment

Green's starting position was poor and he only made it worse by going backwards. I'm sure if he had stepped forward to collect the ball and bumped into the striker when doing so, he would have been awarded a free kick. I do think it was a foul because the attacker did force him backwards with some clever positional movement - but it was subtle and he got away with it so fair play to him - Green could have won the free kick by being more aggressive. A real shame as Green otherwise had a good game and has been keeping well. Oh, and whoever says he should have saved the first one? Sorry, he's never reaching that, no matter how early he goes as it's going away from him and into the corner and the skid off the wet turf just about made it impossible.
            #standuptocancer
            #inyourfacecancer

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Ninja View Post
              All about opinions. Even though i do think it was Greens fault, i stull want him to continue starting games as he is a good keeper.
              I think there is a decent keeper in him but im afraid at Rangers he has made way too many errors in his short Rangers career for the amount of games he has actually played for us. Remember he has missed half the season sitting on the bench and there are arguably three matches of which he has played that he has contributed to us dropping points.

In ten years when he has retired if you ask football fans what Rob Green is remembered for im afraid the majority would say mistakes, errors and bluppers. If you asked the same about Seaman or the Great Dane people would say top keepers and that in summary is Greens career hes known for mistakes (whilst having the ability to pull of saves)

I reckon we can all name errors he has made at all his clubs and internationally if we were pushed and thats not a good thing that speaks for itself

Comment

Interesting. Two of the most respected ex refs Jeff Winter & Dermot Gallagher have both said this morning it was a clear obstruction by Fortune & was a 100% foul. Didi Hammann has also just tweeted the exact same thing.

Comment

Interesting. Two of the most respected ex refs Jeff Winter & Dermot Gallagher have both said this morning it was a clear obstruction by Fortune & was a 100% foul. Didi Hammann has also just tweeted the exact same thing.
                  Think this one is going to divide opinion Ric as all the threads show plus its dividing the pros i.e. MOTD saying good goal and as you state above others saying obstruction.

There has been some good debate on it on this board which is good to see, both sides putting their thoughts and views across properly and long may that attitude continue

If Green is continued to be picked I will support him whilst he is between the sticks but if it was my choice I would swap him

Comment

I'm more likely to listen to top referees who have called thousands of these decisions in they're careers over those planks on MOTD who lets be honest are paid handsomely to talk crap.

Personal opinion.

Comment

It was obstruction and I have oftern seen fouls given, however, Green put himself in that position when he went backwards and he could also have been more forceful in his attempt to get to the ball, even if it meant going into Fortune and risking conceding a penalty.

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
                        Think this one is going to divide opinion Ric as all the threads show plus its dividing the pros i.e. MOTD saying good goal and as you state above others saying obstruction.

There has been some good debate on it on this board which is good to see, both sides putting their thoughts and views across properly and long may that attitude continue

If Green is continued to be picked I will support him whilst he is between the sticks but if it was my choice I would swap him
                        You are right in saying it is about opinions, Shearer on MotD says no foul. Garry Birtles on Football First was saying it is a foul all day long - you cannot do that against a goalkeeper.

But as I have said elsewhere, Green put himself in that position and failed to use some force to get to the ball (Schmeichel would have taken man and ball).

Comment

Many times on this thread it has been mentioned Green should have been more aggressive BUT that doesn't mean it wasn't a foul. It was obstruction.

Comment

Clearly a foul. If Fortune had jumped in an attempt to head the ball, then it is a different story. He just backed into Green, making no effort whatsoever to play the ball but just impeding him, so it becomes a foul. Can't see how there is any debate really. (Unless one shares opinions with an ex-striker, who is not a very good pundit).

Referees tend to know the rules. But during games they often make mistakes, just like players. Or simply don't see things.

Comment

It was a foul. If that had been on De Gea at Old Trafford the whistle would of been blown before the ball dropped out of the air.
                              We're little rangers, the premiership don't want us and we've been on the wrong end of decisions 90% of the time.

Comment

yes it was a foul but Green could have done a lot better while still being fouled, after all you cant count on the ref giving a foul. He took a step backwards into the goal which allowed Fortune to stand on the line and lean into him. If he hadnt sacrificed his position he would have been standing on the line instead of trying to palm the ball over while standing in the goal. Also he could have always pushed back and fought a bit harder..powder puff goalkeeping to go with our powder puff defending yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                                X