I feel really sorry for Green - the goal WAS his fault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I feel really sorry for Green - the goal WAS his fault

I feel really bad, he has been putting in some good performances, and working hard. But having looked at the goal on MOTD, I agree with Shearer. Green's positioning was awful, and their striker was just standing his ground. Green should have realised he was behind the goal and instead of trying to tip it over, he should have punched it out.

He was at fault, yes, but he also got impeded. Most refs on most days would have rightly I think, disallowed it. But our luck was out.

Comment

When I saw it at the match I said to the guy next to me what the hell did Green do that for. He backed into the goal and did not hold his ground. Then he should have pushed the ball out of the gol instead of up. Could have done better on the gol IMO but same old story players not closing done the opposition and then turning their backs on the shot.

Comment

Originally posted by bushkangaroo View Post
        He was at fault, yes, but he also got impeded. Most refs on most days would have rightly I think, disallowed it. But our luck was out.
        He caused the problemby retreating a yard behind the goal line of his own doing, when the player wasn't even close to him. The player then moived to the goal line (obviousy thnking what the hell is he doing) and held the position. YEs he did have a very subtle nudge, which some would argue was a foul, but even without that i dont think Green would've kept it out because he's already behind the line and reaching over the player with a half ar5ed flap..... Once he got in that situaiton, the only option was to surely punch.

Also as for the nudge, keepers get enough protection, are we honestly saying that was enough for a foul...? Really.

Comment

I must admit, at the time I said that Green wasn't strong enough. Having seen the replay though it is a foul 100% and it will be given every time in any league around the world. You can question Green's positioning and decision making but the fact remians it is a stonewall foul on the keeper and Chris Foy should have given it!

Comment

Me thinks the keeper that Harry picks on Sunday will be the defining decision on if Green was at fault or not.

I expect to see Ceser between the sticks

Comment

It was a foul but Green is probably only one of a couple of other Prem goalkeepers who would have got himself in that position in the first place too weak. To be honest the first goal is his fault just doesn't move his feet quick enough. Ceasar all day for me.

Comment

Hard one to call I think almost every ref would give a foul but I have to agree with Shearer is Fortune meant to just move out of the way and let Green catch it? Na

Comment

A foul is a foul. Dress it up how you like the player was backing into him with no intention of playing the ball but just to obstruct the keeper. That is a foul.

Comment

Originally posted by qblockoompah View Post
                    Hard one to call I think almost every ref would give a foul but I have to agree with Shearer is Fortune meant to just move out of the way and let Green catch it? Na
                    Exactly. I mean, trust me, I wish I could say it WAS a foul, because the guy has made so many mistakes, and is only just coming back to form, but it was his fault. If I was the ref, I wouldn't have given it, the nudge was ever so slight.

Comment

Originally posted by Ric-Roc View Post
                      A foul is a foul. Dress it up how you like the player was backing into him with no intention of playing the ball but just to obstruct the keeper. That is a foul.
                      The player just held his ground, the nudge was miniscule. It was the keeper's fault for getting in that position in the first place.

Comment

Held his ground? You cannot stand in front of a keeper back into him & obstruct him in the rules of football are you serious mate??!

Yes Green could / should have been more aggressive but it was still a foul. You can not block a keeper digging your studs in the grass to avoid the keeper reaching the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Ric-Roc View Post
                          Held his ground? You cannot stand in front of a keeper back into him & obstruct him in the rules of football are you serious mate??!

Yes Green could / should have been more aggressive but it was still a foul. You can not block a keeper digging your studs in the grass to avoid the keeper reaching the ball.
                          Why can't you stand in front of a keeper? What next, if a corner comes in and a player is in front of the keeper and the keeper comes for the ball and can't get it, it is a foul for obstruction?

The backing was miniscule, I don't think he even moved back half a yard.

Fault lies with Rob for a) getting into that position and b) trying to push the ball over the bar when he should have known he was behind the goal-line and should have been punching it out.

Comment

Read my post properly then respond, don't pick some random words out. Cheers.

Comment

Green's fault 100%. Before Fortune backed into him, Green was already standing inside the goal, and he could have fought to position himself in front of Fortune. Shame really, because apart from that, Green had a good game.
                              Top Scorers 2018/2019

Nakhi Wells - 8
                              Pawel Wszolek - 6
                              Luke Freeman - 6
                              Matt Smith - 6
                              Ebere Eze - 4
                              Joel Lynch - 3
                              Tomer Hemed - 3
                              Toni Leistner - 2
                              Massimo Luongo- 2
                              Angel Rangel - 2
                              Bright Osayi-Samuel - 2