Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harry - the managerial equivalent of Bosingwa, Cisse, SWP, Park etc

No?

A guy with a reasonably successful career at a top club, involved in the Champions League, trophy-winner.

Drops down to little old QPR, for probably the last big contract of his career.

Who am I talking about here? The above applies to Bosingwa, SWP, Park, Cisse etc, but it also applies to Redknapp.

If we think the problem with our current squad is the amount of overpaid mercenaries, who see QPR as a last payday and, having once played at the top of the table, can no longer be arsed breaking a sweat to ensure we finish 12th rather than 18th....

...then why doesn't that same argument apply to our manager?
    Last edited by Geng; 22-11-2012, 09:07 AM.

To be clear - I'm not completely against Harry as the new manager, he's hardly the worst option out there.

I just don't see why everyone is so obsessed with getting in the most obvious choice, especially when doing exactly this type of recruitment amongst the playing staff has been disastrous.

Plenty of talented young managers out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Geng View Post
      Plenty of talented young managers out there.
      I think the problem is that when you are adrfift at the bottom at XMAS a talented younga manager is not the best option to keep you up, especially with egos and big earners not pulling their weight. You need an experienced head to do that and there are not many available at the moment.
      twitter @silvercue

soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by silvercue View Post
        I think the problem is that when you are adrfift at the bottom at XMAS a talented younga manager is not the best option to keep you up, especially with egos and big earners not pulling their weight. You need an experienced head to do that and there are not many available at the moment.
        Ok, so why doesn't that argument apply to players?

We have lots of experienced old heads out on the pitch, been-there-done-that types. And they are busy getting us relegated.

Comment

I don't think people are particularly obsessed with getting Harry in, they are more obsessed with getting Hughes out.

Comment

And I'm not sure why a younger manager can't be a good motivator. Look at Paul Lambert's Norwich

Comment

Originally posted by Geng View Post
              And I'm not sure why a younger manager can't be a good motivator. Look at Paul Lambert's Norwich
              And then look at Paul Lambert's Aston Villa...
              You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Comment

Lambert did not come straight up to the premiership, as he was with Norwich when they were in the first division, so this is not really the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by janemelanie View Post
                  Lambert did not come straight up to the premiership, as he was with Norwich when they were in the first division, so this is not really the same thing.
                  Took over a team that had just been beaten 7-1 at home and sent them straight to the top of the league.

But anyway, the Lambert thing is a red herring. Ignore it. The general point of this thread still stands.

Comment

Hughes out !!!!!!!

Comment

That's not Necessarily so, look at Roy Hodgson a couple years back when he took over at West Brom, not only did he keep them up he also consolodated a team which now sits fourth of the Premier League! Harry also took over a Tottenham team in a similar position to us and look were they are now!

Comment

It is all about risk. It is safer to give a young manager a chance if you are a mid table team, or in a lower division with potential. At the bottom of the league with big names not playing for the manager is a risky appointment for inexperienced manager - simple.
                        twitter @silvercue

soundcloud

Comment

Well, we thought we were taking the low-risk option in summer by bringing in lots of experienced high-level players, and it turned out they don't give two shytes about QPR.

Does the same risk not apply to bringing in an experienced manager who's career has already peaked?

If not, why not?

Comment

Completely agree with your post, Geng.

Don't know why there is this obsession with Harry. The way I see it is, he can end up polarising some players, which is the last thing we need.

Comment

Does anybody know how well TF knows Harry. I would have thought that they would have known each other quite well. Especially as TF was a West Ham supporter.

Comment

Working...
                              X