Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just found this on LFW

Thoughts?

For the denizens of this board the fate of WATRB is probably not much more than an afterthought. It has an interesting place in the Rangers' message board pantheon, catering for perhaps a different demographic than this one. It is generally looked down upon by the more highbrow message boards and politically it is summed up by the fact that it is (as far as I am aware) the only Rangers' board that is majority pro-Brexit.

It seemed to have its heyday several years back, but has persisted as one of a quartet of most popular QPR forums, the other three being this one, the ersatz QPRdot.org and not606. However, in recent times it has been riven by internecine strife, with whole threads dedicated to accusations and counter-accusations, much to the detriment of the board as a whole.

Things reached a head a few months back when two key members of the admin team left to form a rival message board that was free of the in-fighting that clogged WATRB. Having formed the new board they attempted to recruit posters from WATRB, resulting in a Stalinesque clampdown from the remaining admin, which included severe breaches of forum protocol, i.e. reading the private messages of board members. The private message function was subsequently removed all together and left remaining members in a kind of limbo, with the in-fighting and arguing continuing.

I was one of the members who was contacted by the new forum and moved over. In trying to contact a friend from WATRB by simply posting on the forum I was put on the naughty step ( pre-mod) and all my posts either criticising the handling of the whole debacle or trying to reach my friend were deleted.

What I find fascinating about all this and message boards in general are what they reveal about us, about tribalism, belonging, ideas of ownership and connection and loyalty. With larger clubs pretty much the only thing that binds the disparate members of football forums is their allegiance to a particular football team, to which most have no more connection that any other 'brand'. With smaller teams like ours, there is something more profound that binds most of us, a physical connection to the place itself, often through place of birth or strong family connections. At bottom it is about belonging, in a world that is increasingly globalised and empty of value. I wouldn't be surprised if there have been anthropological studies of fan message boards, but if there haven't, there should be.

Of course there are other issues at stake: for WATRB it's about income, footfall driving revenue, hence the desire to cling to its membership and fight off any interference. But the mistake is to alienate your core users in the first place. Where this board succeeds so admirably I think is in its inclusivity: it is by and large a broad and tolerant church. Exclusivity is not useful in a free-to-use forum that relies on numbers.

It's also fascinating to note how different each QPR board is (let alone forums in general) in their unique 'flavour'. This is partly due to how the board is administered, partly due to the look and feel of the board itself. Hiving off non-QPR related threads to sub-forums is attractive to some posters who want their QPR fix unadulterated, but for most, the open, anything goes style of this board is much more attractive. The original (and I think best) QPR forum, qpr.org, was an uncensored and completely open forum which had the benefit of being privately funded. Boards funded by advertising like this one (I think that's its key funding model, please correct me if I'm wrong Clive) and WATRB have to place certain restrictions on posters to avoid falling foul of the dreaded Google adwords bots that flag up things they don't like, such as swear words. These restrictions are fairly easily circumvented by members using asterisks for letters, or creative alternatives to standard expletives. Again, the very fact that this happens is interesting in itself. We are all slaves to the mighty Google and other mass media social media platform purveyors to some extent. Perhaps to a scary extent.

The splinter forum has a witty name if you've been a long-term follower of QPR message board wars: Rangers Fantasy Island. A name that seems apt when refugees from WATRB wash up on its shores. As a fledgling QPR forum it doesn't even register on Google unless searched by name directly. It will be interesting to see (from an anthropological perspective at least) what happens to the various QPR forums over the next few years, especially if the decline in the club's fortunes continues. On here at least there is much outside of QPR to continue to entertain its members.

Two thoughts:
    1 - There's certainly a different feel to LFW than WATRB. I used to prefer WATRB, but that has changed.
    2 - Since the post explicitly mentions the name of the new forum, I expect your post to be either edited or removed
    QPR since 1993
    WATRB since 2015
    First QPR game hopefully in 2017

Comment

Yes, I saw that.
      It is a good post, very well written by Hubble.
      His points about the censorship issues need to be addressed by the mods/owners here if this site is to gain back some credibility.
      There are too many good posters on here to let it wither on the vine like it appears to be doing.

Comment

Is this where everyone has disappeared to ?

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
          Is this where everyone has disappeared to ?
          Yes mate

Comment

Originally posted by peterlund.dk View Post
            Two thoughts:
            1 - There's certainly a different feel to LFW than WATRB. I used to prefer WATRB, but that has changed.
            2 - Since the post explicitly mentions the name of the new forum, I expect your post to be either edited or removed
            I think this has gone beyond that now - there is little point in censoring any mention of fantasy island as it has become a visible entity. It would be like trying to ban any mention of any other Rs board - self defeating. The censorship just seems petulant and childish and has been in evidence very recently. It's also ironic, because I don't get the impression that FI is particularly on a recruiting drive. People should be able to drift around the forums if they choose to do so.

My hope is that both boards will be allowed to develop their own identity and co-exist along with the others. People need to relax. They're all just internet forums.

Comment

Originally posted by hal9thou View Post

I think this has gone beyond that now - there is little point in censoring any mention of fantasy island as it has become a visible entity. It would be like trying to ban any mention of any other Rs board - self defeating. The censorship just seems petulant and childish and has been in evidence very recently. It's also ironic, because I don't get the impression that FI is particularly on a recruiting drive. People should be able to drift around the forums if they choose to do so.

My hope is that both boards will be allowed to develop their own identity and co-exist along with the others. People need to relax. They're all just internet forums.
              I agree completely.
              QPR since 1993
              WATRB since 2015
              First QPR game hopefully in 2017

Comment

Rangers Fantasy Island I believe....havent had a butchers yet though

Comment

Wow, I didn't even know there was another board

Comment

Originally posted by hal9thou View Post

100% agree with this mate. I am posting on both and LFW. What does it matter?
                    And you are right, they are not trying to actively recruit. Otherwise it would be easier to find.

Comment

the rangers fantasy island forum is impossible to find on google tbh. i have a lot of affinity for this forum but its changed and lost its touch
                      Last edited by corbray; 30-04-2019, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Pro Brexit, who knew?
                        @gatorTFC

Comment

Originally posted by corbray View Post
                          the r fantasy island forum is impossible to find on google tbh. i have a lot of affinity for this forum but its changed and lost its touch
                          You are right corbray. A mate of mine had to put my user name into google to find it so I don't think there's much money being spent on googleads. (Nor should there be I might add as that is probably not the idea)

Comment

Originally posted by CroydonCaptainJack View Post

100% agree with this mate. I am posting on both and LFW. What does it matter?
                            And you are right, they are not trying to actively recruit. Otherwise it would be easier to find.
                            Are you allowed to start chants on RFI ?

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post

Are you allowed to start chants on RFI ?
                              All the time mate

Comment

Working...
                              X