X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clapton is God
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe90 View Post

I never said I wanted every Irish person to condemn the IRA and nor do I expect them to. I understand why the IRA have support, I know about the Troubles, and the history of it, but understanding doesn't mean you accept or agree - which you fail to understand.

This is meaningless twaddle, the kind of rubbish a vacuous MP would reel out on question time when speaking about an issue that's too complex for them and who is more concerned about presenting themselves in certain way than actually having an opinion or addressing an issue.
    Nah, I do have an opinion on it and I know plenty about the History of the Troubles coming from an Irish Catholic family and being once married to an Ulster Protestant whose family included staunch Orangemen.

My opinion is that if I was born in Derry and had knowledge of the British Army atrocities I would probably either support or join the IRA.

If I was born in East Belfast and perceived the IRA as a threat to my people and the Republic insisting claim to the 6 counties I would probably either support or join the UDA.

If I lived in England and had no knowledge of what the Army were doing in our name in Northern Ireland but saw soilders killed by the IRA I would unconditionally support the Army and the UDA.

What changed everything, however was sitting down together and listening to what the other side had to say. In the end Martin McGuiness and Ian Paisley became friends who had dinner at each other's house because they spoke and listened to people who had a different story to tell.

So it isn't twaddle. It's a statement of truth and it is, contrary to what you say, a complex situation.

Maybe if the ignorant idiots condemning McClean took the same approach they wouldn't be so bitter and angry and they may find themselves called idiots less often.

Leave a comment:

• Clapton is God
    replied
    Originally posted by QPRDave View Post

Please just get this ######## an invite to the other forum, or maybe fulham's
    Great counter argument...

​​

Leave a comment:

• QPRDave
    replied
    Originally posted by Clapton is God View Post

And yet you want everyone Irish to completely condemn the IRA?

Both sides, on occasions, acted against all sense of humanity but if you listen to people you can understand why both had support too.
    Please just get this ######## an invite to the other forum, or maybe fulham's

Leave a comment:

• Joe90
    replied

I never said I wanted every Irish person to condemn the IRA and nor do I expect them to. I understand why the IRA have support, I know about the Troubles, and the history of it, but understanding doesn't mean you accept or agree - which you fail to understand.

Both sides, on occasions, acted against all sense of humanity but if you listen to people you can understand why both had support too.
    This is meaningless twaddle, the kind of rubbish a vacuous MP would reel out on question time when speaking about an issue that's too complex for them and who is more concerned about presenting themselves in certain way than actually having an opinion or addressing an issue.

Leave a comment:

• Clapton is God
    replied
    Originally posted by CroydonCaptainJack View Post

Some people don't have the opportunity to get an education. It is not always their fault. Is that a reason to look down on them from your lofty heights?
    You're right and maybe, as the two are very different things, I should have used the word 'ignorant' rather than 'uneducated.

Leave a comment:

• CroydonCaptainJack
    replied

I would rather people think I am a condescending,. arrogant, pompous prick than for one person to think I am an uneducated idiot.

What kind of person doesn't take the time to understand another person's point of view and stands in a football ground - in front of other people - shouting obscenities at a man who has explained very well why he won't wear a poppy.

They should spend more time condemning things like this which is FAR more derogatory and disrespectful towards the Remembrance of those who died in wars:

Enlighten me as to how making the Poppy something akin to a Christmas decoration is respectful to the dead or maintaining the silent, somber and dignified nature of the symbol.
    Some people don't have the opportunity to get an education. It is not always their fault. Is that a reason to look down on them from your lofty heights?

Leave a comment:

• Clapton is God
    replied

You come across that way unfortunately.
    I would rather people think I am a condescending,. arrogant, pompous prick than for one person to think I am an uneducated idiot.

What kind of person doesn't take the time to understand another person's point of view and stands in a football ground - in front of other people - shouting obscenities at a man who has explained very well why he won't wear a poppy.

They should spend more time condemning things like this which is FAR more derogatory and disrespectful towards the Remembrance of those who died in wars:

Enlighten me as to how making the Poppy something akin to a Christmas decoration is respectful to the dead or maintaining the silent, somber and dignified nature of the symbol.

Leave a comment:

• Clapton is God
    replied

No.

Leave a comment:

• Joe90
    replied

Would you have an issue with someone who professes unquestionable support of the British Army in Northern Ireland?[/IMG]
    No.

Leave a comment:

• CroydonCaptainJack
    replied

I'm not patronising either. Just have an aversion to idiots.
    You come across that way unfortunately.

Leave a comment:

• Clapton is God
    replied

I am sure. You do seem incredibly patronising though.
    I'm not patronising either. Just have an aversion to idiots.

Leave a comment:

• CroydonCaptainJack
    replied

Nah, they were thick.

I'm far from being a bigot, I actually feel sorry for them...

One day their parents told them that they could choose to be anything they wanted so they chose to be c* *ts.
    I am sure. You do seem incredibly patronising though.

Leave a comment:

• Clapton is God
    replied
    Originally posted by Route One View Post

What is your assumption that those giving him stick were "uneducated" based on?

Can you justify it? Because if not that creates the impression that you are a pompous prejudice hyproocrite.

I say that because, ironically if you have no knowledge they were "uneducated", but actually, what you mean by that is you are just assuming they are less educated then you, and that makes them and their opinions less worthy than yours then that would make YOU a bigot
    Nah, they were thick.

I'm far from being a bigot, I actually feel sorry for them...

One day their parents told them that they could choose to be anything they wanted so they chose to be c* *ts.

Leave a comment:

• Clapton is God
    replied

I understand why he doesn't wear a poppy and I don't have a problem with that from what I've read of it, however if he professed his support for the IRA I'd have a massive problem with that. But the issue hear is the abuse he received and whether it should be investigated. I think considering the current climate we need to be VERY careful that verbal abuse doesn't become physical and perhaps maybe it is time to reconsider what is acceptable? In this case I'm not sure if this is incident has crossed a line.
    Would you have an issue with someone who professes unquestionable support of the British Army in Northern Ireland?

What the IRA did in Warrington, among other atrocities, was an absolute disgrace.

What the British Army did in Derry in 1972, among other atrocities, was an absolute disgrace.

No one in Britain or Ireland, should have a good guys vs bad guys attitude to the Troubles.

James McClean has NEVER - and please post any evidence to the contrary if I am wrong - proclaimed outright support for the IRA, not once. He has explained on many occasions why he can't wear one and that he is not anti-British.

This is what he says and if you can find ANYTHING wrong with this I think you need to question yourself.

Leave a comment:

• Route One
    replied
    He is not a uneducated bigot unlike the idiots who abused him on Saturday.
    What is your assumption that those giving him stick were "uneducated" based on?

Can you justify it? Because if not that creates the impression that you are a pompous prejudice hyproocrite.

I say that because, ironically if you have no knowledge they were "uneducated", but actually, what you mean by that is you are just assuming they are less educated then you, and that makes them and their opinions less worthy than yours then that would make YOU a bigot

Leave a comment:

Working...
X