X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They Shall Not Grow Old

They shall not grow old

Today, 12:48 AM
    If you haven't watched this on bbc2 tonight sunday 11th, please watch it.
    It's everything you need to know, and a lot you don't need to know about The Great War.
    It's colouring of the film, and the technology to make it play at the right speed, brings home the brutality
    these poor men/boys faced in WW1
    It's horrific, and sad and transports them, the heroes forward 100 years.
    I've watched loads of war docs, but this left me mouth wide open.......Brilliant but Sad

Cheers Dave, will give it a watch tonight.
    “He'll regret it till his dying day, if ever he lives that long”
    Will Danaher

Comment

Watched it last night and you’re spot on Dave. Even just the additiion of colour gives far more insight into the shocking brutality of war. Some of the footage and images are like nothing I’ve seen before relating to WW1 and my wife was speechless. How any of those soldiers could still manage to smile at a camera while experiencing that carnage is beyond me. And some of them said they didn’t want to come home.
      Will Danaher

Comment

I couldn't believe what a difference it made mate I really couldn't. The lip readers giving voices
        to those men too.
        I saw someone else comment, that seeing these old films at the speed we have always seen them
        at, made them look comical, and unreal, but slowed down they really brought it to life and took the viewer back a century.
        I couldn't believe the squalor they were expected to live in, and then go and fight either, disgusting.

Comment

It’s so true. The way the programme started off in black and white and at the almost comical speed old films are shown at, then suddenly it changed to colour and normal speed, unbelievably effective that and hats off to the producers. No other film I’ve seen portrays the horror of it all the way that one did. Any €unt who refuses to wear a poppy, including that prick James McClean, should hold their head in shame.
          Will Danaher

Comment

Originally posted by Itsonlyagame View Post
            It’s so true. The way the programme started off in black and white and at the almost comical speed old films are shown at, then suddenly it changed to colour and normal speed, unbelievably effective that and hats off to the producers. No other film I’ve seen portrays the horror of it all the way that one did. Any €unt who refuses to wear a poppy, including that prick James McClean, should hold their head in shame.
            Great post Itsonly 100% agree

Comment

Originally posted by QPRDave View Post

Great post Itsonly 100% agree
              It saddens me that there are now areas of this once great land that poppies are not being sold this year. IMHO, probably due to the fact that parts of the 'local community' want to burn them and they don't want to risk any harm or abuse to the people selling the on the organizations behalf.

Comment

Incredible film, just incredible. I don't care if people don't want to wear a poppy, it's a free country isn't it? And isn't that the whole point of what all those men were supposed to have died for? What boils my blood is the vulture politicians at all the ceremonies, they have no interest in the ordinary man. Both my grandfathers fought in the 1WW, all 3 of my uncles on both sides fought in the 2nd. I will remember them, and the stories my grandfather told me about the horrors he experienced fighting in the trenches. And I will remember how many millions of men were slaughtered to preserve the status quo of the ruling elite who sent them to their deaths. And I will remember the many veterans now who are homeless and die on the our streets, left to rot by the poppy wearing politicians.

Comment

Originally posted by Hubble View Post
                  Incredible film, just incredible. I don't care if people don't want to wear a poppy, it's a free country isn't it? And isn't that the whole point of what all those men were supposed to have died for? What boils my blood is the vulture politicians at all the ceremonies, they have no interest in the ordinary man. Both my grandfathers fought in the 1WW, all 3 of my uncles on both sides fought in the 2nd. I will remember them, and the stories my grandfather told me about the horrors he experienced fighting in the trenches. And I will remember how many millions of men were slaughtered to preserve the status quo of the ruling elite who sent them to their deaths. And I will remember the many veterans now who are homeless and die on the our streets, left to rot by the poppy wearing politicians.
                  great post hubble

Comment

Everything that needs to be said right there mate

Comment

Great post. I don't have a problem if people don't want to wear a poppy, as you said it's a free country and that's what millions of people died protecting and like you I also lost relatives. Although a comedy programme, Black Adder highlighted your point about the politicians and rich elite. However if my memory serves me correctly, actor David Niven left the comforts of Hollywood to enlist/re-enlist. Maybe as an officer and not a front line soldier, I'm not sure but it's not the point. Vote seeking politicians/politicians in general are scared to be labelled racist and don't speak up against people demanding that we should embrace sharia law in this country or will be put to the sword if we don't. Even the gay ones, who would be top of their hit list, don't oppose them. However anybody that does dares to speak up against them, is labelled a racist/fascist.
                      The poppy organisation not even bothering to try and sell poppies in certain areas, shows how far down the pan this country has gone and I've got friends from all walks of life, including Muslims, who agree with me.

Comment

There’s a picture on Facebook of a an ex soldier who’s now an MP, talking in the commons about the alarming rates of service and ex service personnel suicide. The debate centres around what can and should be done to help.
                        His speech took place 4 days after Remembrance Sunday but the house is all but empty. Disgraceful.
                        Says it all really.
                        As for people who refuse to wear a poppy, yes it’s a free country and of course they are free to make that decision.
                        Just as I’m free to call them a €c unt.
                        Last edited by Itsonlyagame; 20-11-2018, 11:38 AM.
                        Will Danaher

Comment

This is now getting a limited release over here at select movie theatres in 3D.
                          Looking forward to watching it on the big screen as it's not available on Canadian Netflix currently.
                          Minds Are Like Parachutes.
                          Work Best When Open...
                          @Nowt2SeeHere

Comment

It's really good mate, gives you a different perspective on footage you've probably
                            seen before, and some new

Comment

Originally posted by QPRDave View Post
                              It's really good mate, gives you a different perspective on footage you've probably
                              seen before, and some new
                              I saw an interview that Peter Jackson gave on the making of this doc, and I must admit that a lot if thought and hard work has gone into getting this right.
                              As an amateur war history buff, this has really peaked my interest and I can't wait to watch it.
                              Not too sure about the 3D aspect though, as this may take away some of the reality and make it come across as more of a movie than a documentary.
                              Minds Are Like Parachutes.
                              Work Best When Open...
                              @Nowt2SeeHere

Comment

Working...
                              X