Moving overseas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving overseas

Lots of expats on this forum. What made you do it? Do you regret it? Do you miss London/UK? If you plan to retire here, do you plan to make up NI contributions so you can get a state pension or are you so loaded living in your beach side villa, you dont care at all?!

I lived in Hong Kong for three years back in the 90s. Loved it but always saw it as temporary.
    I paid voluntary NI contributions but probably need not have as I would have had a full allocation anyway. However, I didn't know that then.
    Living abroad was fantastic and I made loads of friends but it also makes you realise how great it is here.

Comment

I'd leave this country tomorrow if it wasn't for my parents being around.
      I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreQPR12 View Post
        I'd leave this country tomorrow if it wasn't for my parents being around.
        Where would you go mate?

Comment

Originally posted by CroydonCaptainJack View Post
          Where would you go mate?
          Vancouver Canada. Amazing place mate. Proper seasons too, would love to live in the city which is chilled and do a season at whistler too. Oh and the people are just really nice and friendly.

Comment

Personally I never liked the UK. The weather/lack of light is depressing, and I don't like the politics or the ever escalating political correctness.

I spent my early childhood in the Middle East and I couldn't wait to get back there in my 20's. Since I've moved on to Africa, which has been an eye opener. I will head back further East again when I get fed up of Cape Town.

Returning to the UK isn't really in my thoughts. Although my Mrs is the first generation in her family not to qualify for a British passport, she's stuck with a South African one. This may bring me back for a year or 2 at some stage so she can apply. Life is such a ball ache with a South African passport. Visa applications required in advance (at huge expense) for literally everywhere we want to travel.

I'm sure things will also get harder as my Mum gets older, which may convince me to head back for a while.

Don't bother with NI contributions myself because I cannot see any way I'll retire in the UK.

What I will say however is that I do miss British organisation, process and general order. Things in the emerging world are generally a bloody nightmare in comparison. You also realise when you travel that common sense really isn't that common.
            Last edited by Tarbie; 14-03-2018, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Running along the coast and then hitting Stanley park would be bliss

Comment

So pardon my ignorance but how does ex pat work? Can you just bugger off whenever you want and get housed wherever?

Comment

Interesting responses chaps, thanks

I've been offered a permanent position in Hong Kong. Very unexpected as I've been happily freelancing / contracting for the past decade or so.

NI contributions is interesting - obviously I'd like a state pension when I'm retired. Its been 12 years or so since I graduated so I've got those years under my belt. What if for example, I stay in HK for 2 years and pay into their version of a pension, move to another place for a few years and do the same there and when I end up aged 65,+ I've built up a few years here and there but not enough for a pension anywhere? Will I die alone and unable to afford my heating bills? I must be getting old as if I was younger I'd be packing already but I'm sitting here thinking, jesus a tiny apartment in HK for £3k a month, what the...

Isn't expat just a fancy word for immigrant? White people who go abroad are expats but those horrible folk who come here and take all the jobs are immigrants ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Jeems View Post

I've been offered a permanent position in Hong Kong. Very unexpected as I've been happily freelancing / contracting for the past decade or so.

NI contributions is interesting - obviously I'd like a state pension when I'm retired. Its been 12 years or so since I graduated so I've got those years under my belt. What if for example, I stay in HK for 2 years and pay into their version of a pension, move to another place for a few years and do the same there and when I end up aged 65,+ I've built up a few years here and there but not enough for a pension anywhere? Will I die alone and unable to afford my heating bills? I must be getting old as if I was younger I'd be packing already but I'm sitting here thinking, jesus a tiny apartment in HK for £3k a month, what the...

Isn't expat just a fancy word for immigrant? White people who go abroad are expats but those horrible folk who come here and take all the jobs are immigrants ;)
                    Not sure the whole NI/pension thing works like that mate. I've never paid into a state pension anywhere outside of the UK. If the job comes with a pension it will be a private one and probably won't be tied to a particular country of residence.

If you plan to return to the UK you can simply opt to keep paying your NI contributions from abroad. Plenty of expats do this. Personally I think it's a waste of time. I doubt there will be much left of the state pension system by the time in 65 (if I make that long). And I doubt I'll want to be in the UK anyway.

Comment

Hong Kong is a great place to live mate. Very safe and also very lively but has many places to hike or walk as well if that's of interest. There are more Chinese and less westerners now and as you say the accommodation is expensive. I was paying three bags a month back in 1994 so it was even worse then.

I paid voluntary ni contributions and would recommend you do the same. Not enough people worry about providing for their retirement which is why we have a looming problem here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbie View Post
                        Not sure the whole NI/pension thing works like that mate. I've never paid into a state pension anywhere outside of the UK. If the job comes with a pension it will be a private one and probably won't be tied to a particular country of residence.

If you plan to return to the UK you can simply opt to keep paying your NI contributions from abroad. Plenty of expats do this. Personally I think it's a waste of time. I doubt there will be much left of the state pension system by the time in 65 (if I make that long). And I doubt I'll want to be in the UK anyway.
                        I've done a little research and it seems you qualify for some form of state pension in the UK if you have 10+ qualifying years so at least I'll get something. (you need 35 for a full one). I do think about the future a lot, even though its 30+ years away. I'm uncertain how long I'll be away for but you seem to have a pretty good idea so fair play.

Hong Kong is a great place to live mate. Very safe and also very lively but has many places to hike or walk as well if that's of interest. There are more Chinese and less westerners now and as you say the accommodation is expensive. I was paying three bags a month back in 1994 so it was even worse then.
                        3k a month back in 1994, you must've been living in a mansion! 3k a month today gets you a 1 bed on HK Island! Yeah I like the place, I was there for a few days in December actually. The very low taxation also appeals.

The idea of weekend trips to other parts of Asia appeals. That's where good old Uncle Tony comes in. I like Asia a lot, I have some friends and family living there so its familiar-ish continent to me. I do get sun deprived living in London!

Comment

I've done a little research and it seems you qualify for some form of state pension in the UK if you have 10+ qualifying years so at least I'll get something. (you need 35 for a full one). I do think about the future a lot, even though its 30+ years away. I'm uncertain how long I'll be away for but you seem to have a pretty good idea so fair play.

3k a month back in 1994, you must've been living in a mansion! 3k a month today gets you a 1 bed on HK Island! Yeah I like the place, I was there for a few days in December actually. The very low taxation also appeals.

The idea of weekend trips to other parts of Asia appeals. That's where good old Uncle Tony comes in. I like Asia a lot, I have some friends and family living there so its familiar-ish continent to me. I do get sun deprived living in London!
                          £3k a month back then was a two bedroom apartment in Discovery Bay which was to be fair a nice size with decent views. However, my boss was in mid-levels in a much smaller one bedroom place which was £6k a month!
                          We did take the chance to visit Malaysia, Thailand etc and as part of my job I went to China. It is a good base to see other places in Asia

If you need any other info feel free to PM me. I do still know people out there but it was a log time ago I went!

Comment

£3k a month back then was a two bedroom apartment in Discovery Bay which was to be fair a nice size with decent views. However, my boss was in mid-levels in a much smaller one bedroom place which was £6k a month!
                            We did take the chance to visit Malaysia, Thailand etc and as part of my job I went to China. It is a good base to see other places in Asia

If you need any other info feel free to PM me. I do still know people out there but it was a log time ago I went!
                            You must of made some serious money to be able to sustain that kind of outlay croyds?

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreQPR12 View Post
                              You must of made some serious money to be able to sustain that kind of outlay croyds?
                              It was all paid for as part of the package mate.

Comment

Working...
                              X