Iceland to outlaw male circumcision for 'religious' purposes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iceland to outlaw male circumcision for 'religious' purposes

The more I read about Iceland, the more I like it. Very sane people.

MP behind plan 'didn’t think it was necessary to consult' Jewish and Muslim groups, amid growing anger

'I don’t see it as a religious matter,' insists Silja Dögg Gunnarsdóttir

Quite right too.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a8217696.html

Fair play to them.
    To be honest, I’d have thought circumcision would be a very tricky operation given how cold it gets over there.
    I have trouble finding my drain vein in temperatures lower than 7 degrees and i’d challenge anyone to find it, even if they did have warm hands and a pair of binoculars.
    The amount of time spent during their winters trying to carry out a proceedure like that must cost their health service a farking fortune.
    “He'll regret it till his dying day, if ever he lives that long”
    Will Danaher

Comment

Worldwide ban = World peace?

Perhaps no causal connection, but as far as I can tell, there is good correlation between circumcision rates and violence rates/areas with war, eg. USA, The Middle East, most of Africa. Maybe they would all loosen up if they had their anatomy intact? Worth a try
      https://twitter.com/1qprdk

Comment

Hubs, I've listened to at least 3 radio phone in shows on this.
        Basically, the argument is that it is nothing other than "male genital mutilation"

Very surprised to hear that about 50% of American baby boys have this performed as the norm.

Virtually every Muslim and Jewish caller was adamant that it was the right thing to do. Many claiming it's cleaner/healthier. Various other ridiculous religious reasons too.

Funnily enough and quite coincidentally, there was another news story at around the same time about many abbatoirs, using both the halal and kosher methods of slaughter, failing to meet standards. This prompted another few debates as to whether these methods should still be allowed on the basis that as the animals are not stunned first, the chances are they suffer unnecessary pain.

Not surprisingly, the religious freaks were out in abundance claiming that a quick slice of the neck, severing the nerve that registers pain to the brain, stops this. However, one would need to be very skilled at this in order to achieve it with any great reliability. Once again, the Muslim and Jewish contributors suddenly became experts in animal biology, in addition to experts in the human type.

Personally, I'd much rather, if we must eat meat, to ensure that every possible precaution is put in place to prevent any animal suffering pain. Likewise, if chopping off bits of boys is considered to be good for health reasons, I'd far rather they were given the option once they are a little bit older.

Although it hurts more the older you get apparently, so I'm keeping mine.

Comment

To inflict your religious beliefs on your young child is quite ridiculous, to mutilate them is unforgivable. Religions only exist because they perpetuate themselves by brainwashing very young children who are unable to understand concepts far beyond their knowledge. It really is a form of child abuse.

Comment

Originally posted by easthertsr View Post
            To inflict your religious beliefs on your young child is quite ridiculous, to mutilate them is unforgivable. Religions only exist because they perpetuate themselves by brainwashing very young children who are unable to understand concepts far beyond their knowledge. It really is a form of child abuse.
            Everything is brainwashing to children. Its ridiculous to say its a form of child abuse. Making my kids support QPR is a form of child abuse

Comment

I believe there's a procedure that will reverse "the unkindest cut of all".

Comment

To be honest ,its the last thing i want to see ,when in buying frozen pees anyway
                Rangers,Scooters ,Tunes and Trainers

Comment

Originally posted by vespa View Post
                  To be honest ,its the last thing i want to see ,when in buying frozen pees anyway

It must be quite difficult in Iceland to do this I would've thought bearing in mind things do shrink in the cold

Comment

Originally posted by brightonr View Post
                    Hubs, I've listened to at least 3 radio phone in shows on this.
                    Basically, the argument is that it is nothing other than "male genital mutilation"

Very surprised to hear that about 50% of American baby boys have this performed as the norm.

Virtually every Muslim and Jewish caller was adamant that it was the right thing to do. Many claiming it's cleaner/healthier. Various other ridiculous religious reasons too.

Funnily enough and quite coincidentally, there was another news story at around the same time about many abbatoirs, using both the halal and kosher methods of slaughter, failing to meet standards. This prompted another few debates as to whether these methods should still be allowed on the basis that as the animals are not stunned first, the chances are they suffer unnecessary pain.

Not surprisingly, the religious freaks were out in abundance claiming that a quick slice of the neck, severing the nerve that registers pain to the brain, stops this. However, one would need to be very skilled at this in order to achieve it with any great reliability. Once again, the Muslim and Jewish contributors suddenly became experts in animal biology, in addition to experts in the human type.

Personally, I'd much rather, if we must eat meat, to ensure that every possible precaution is put in place to prevent any animal suffering pain. Likewise, if chopping off bits of boys is considered to be good for health reasons, I'd far rather they were given the option once they are a little bit older.

Although it hurts more the older you get apparently, so I'm keeping mine.
                    Don't get me started on non stun slaughter Brighton, I'm vehemently against it. I have had the misfortune to view bits of video (bloody twitter not warning me)
                    of some of these acts and it's truly barbaric and I'm sorry but completely unnecessary today.
                    It needs to be banned

Comment

Originally posted by QPRDave View Post
                      Don't get me started on non stun slaughter Brighton, I'm vehemently against it. I have had the misfortune to view bits of video (bloody twitter not warning me)
                      of some of these acts and it's truly barbaric and I'm sorry but completely unnecessary today.
                      It needs to be banned
                      Well.its no skin off my nose !
                      Rangers,Scooters ,Tunes and Trainers

Comment

Originally posted by PunteR View Post
                        Everything is brainwashing to children. Its ridiculous to say its a form of child abuse. Making my kids support QPR is a form of child abuse
                        Sorry, but saying everything is brainwashing to children is just plain wrong.To teach your child not to put their hand in a fire is indesputably correct. To teach your child that Jesus Christ is the son of God is inflicting your opinion on to them.All across the world people suffer and die because of the nonsense that is foisted on them at a totally inappropriate age!

Comment

Working...
                        X