Donald Trump. Leg End or Bell End?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hubble View Post
    Actions speak louder than words Stan. She may have claimed to have been a proponent of small government, but the fact is she increased the role of government in so many matters, the reality is she was a proponent of big government.

Equally, she claimed to be a proponent of the free market and a follower of Von Hayek , whereas in reality she did the opposite. All about vested interests the old Tories, private law = privilege. They keep saying the same old spiel and people keep falling for it. But don't take my word for it, watch the excellent BBC documentary on Von Hayek and listen to what her own ministers say. Very revealing.
    Yes I concede it was more in her rhetoric than actual policies. I resonate with the principles of Small Government but I think you're right about Thatcher not being a fair example of it.

Comment

The memo's been released folks!

(And fair play Stan).

Comment

Could you let us know what it is about please Hubb, ive been waiting so bad but im in the pub now. FML

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Mcleod View Post
          Could you let us know what it is about please Hubb, ive been waiting so bad but im in the pub now. FML
          Basically it shows the FBI did not follow due process but were totally biased in their investigation of Trump and alleged collusion with Russia - and also that they relied on info that was paid for by the Democrats - in other words clear political bias. This is just the beginning. Explosive.

Comment

And that's the strange thing. When you look at small government, you start to go beyond that to the logical conclusion of no government - and you realise it goes full circle - from right wing to anarchism.
            Yes, otherwise known as the Political Horseshoe Theory.

What seems to scare the bog standard leftist thinkers is also lack of control. They hate the idea of anarchy as much as the right. The irony is that anarchy is not lawlessness, far from it. It simply means no rule of state, be that government, monarchy or whatever. One thing morphs into another. That's why I think it's crazy to use the definitions 'left' and 'right' really - they just become cults (or religions) - they're not positions for the independent minded thinker to take.
            I agree, these have become far too two-dimensional, under-nuanced and outdated paradigms.

Comment

fair play Stan
              I take it you disagree with this entry?: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smal...United_Kingdom

Comment

Woah. Explosive. I love it, thanks yeah.

Comment

Is barry or hilary in my sort of big trouble. Any prison?

Comment

Is barry or hilary in my sort of big trouble. Any prison?
                    She's got to be shitting herself - if she wasn't already.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
                      I take it you disagree with this entry?: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smal...United_Kingdom
                      What am I meant to be disagreeing with Stan? It seems pretty even handed.

Comment

What am I meant to be disagreeing with Stan? It seems pretty even handed.
                        The Thatcher references. The link should direct you straight to the UK entry on that page. If not, here it is:

United Kingdom

The idea of small government was heavily promoted in the United Kingdom by the Conservative government under the Premiership of Margaret Thatcher. There are differing views on the extent to which it was achieved. It allowed the stock markets and industries to compete more heavily with each other and made British goods more valued in world trade.[citation needed]

An important part of the Thatcher government's policy was privatization, which was intended to reduce the role of the state in the economy and allow industries to act without government interference. Supporters blamed excessive government intervention for much of Britain's economic woes during the late 1960s and 1970s.

Opponents argue that privatisation harms social programs for the poor. This argument is particularly heard in connection with the railways and the National Health Service. Small government supporters, such as the British author and journalist James Bartholomew, point out that although record amounts of funding have gone into social security, public education, council housing and the NHS, it has been detrimental to the people it was intended to help and does not represent value for investment.[13]

In the 20th century, small government was generally associated with the Conservative Party and big government with the Labour Party.

In addition to opposing government intervention in the economy, advocates of small government oppose government intervention in people's personal lives. The Labour government during the Premiership of Tony Blair was criticized on this score, e.g., by giving unwanted advice about eating, drinking and smoking. This has been dubbed as the 'nanny state'.[citation needed]

Comment

It's just a factual entry Stan, nothing to disagree with - it doesn't make any judgements.

Comment

It's just a factual entry Stan, nothing to disagree with - it doesn't make any judgements.
                            Ok, so at least you agree she did some good things for the country, e.g. paras 1, 2 and 4.

Comment

Couldnt even bring myself to post that.
                              Or the somalian princess steaming a coffee shop celebrating Winston Churchill.
                              Im off to Spain to let them have another immigrant im telling ya
                              And you can bet your very last shekel that when every last image of the beautiful female form has been removed from our screens, magazines etc, there will still be Tom ####ing Daley calendars all over the place.
                              “He'll regret it till his dying day, if ever he lives that long”
                              Will Danaher

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
                                Ok, so at least you agree she did some good things for the country, e.g. paras 1, 2 and 4.
                                No, I don't agree with that. That's a value judgement the wiki entry doesn't make.

Comment

Working...
                                X