Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bitcoin price rising - alternatives for portfolio - tips for next big price rise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tarbie View Post
    What we saying about Cryptos now chaps? Not digging, genuinely interested in everyone's take on things.

I put about a grand of my money into Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Etherium and Litecoin 3 or 4 months back. That grand is now worth less than 500 quid. I'm hearing that some of the newer altcoins are close to devaluing to nothing.

What's the future? Is this a blip or something bigger?
    Hubble :-)

Comment

• Thanks Stan.

The way I see it is that crypto, with bitcoin at the forefront, is here for the long term. If you follow this thread from the start you can see a direct correlation between how well known it was in the mainstream and the price rise - reaching a massive spike around Xmas last year when there was a feeding frenzy and the world and his wife wanted in. Then there was an inevitable crash as that price was unsustainable. Take out that spike and how does it look? Well, if you'd got onboard any time around the start of this thread you'd still be looking at a huge profit.

The btc price in the last 2 months has fluctuated between about 4.5k and 5k - in other words it's stabilising. The fact that crypto solves so many problems with the current financial system means that it is not going to go away. However, take out the media hype and what you have is a situation where all sorts of organisations are finding ways of utilising cypto and blockchain technology. Eventually this will feed back into the mainstream as something that works for everyone. Think about how email evolved. To begin with just to send a simple message via the internet was laborious. Today, the vast majority have no idea how the tech works, but they use it without thinking. This is what is going to happen with crypto. Bitcoin maintains its position as the number 1 CC because it represents not just the first CC on the block but a genuine store of value - a gold standard - and its in-built tech supports that position - deflationary, limited supply, increasingly harder to mine and so on.

Again, if you look at the long term trajectory of the BTC price you'll see similar spikes and troughs to the late 2017/ early 2018 one. So my prediction is that BTC will begin to climb slowly and steadily towards the latter part of this year and then there could well be another steep rise as the next generation of tech comes online, enabling smoother CC transactions and so on.

Comment

• Hubs, just out of interest, what's your view on gold as an investment? Way less volatile than cryptos, and even FIAT. An obvious store of value. It's value is also likely to only rise the less stable FIAT becomes. So arguably all this points to it being a far less speculative investment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanley View Post
          Hubs, just out of interest, what's your view on gold as an investment? Way less volatile than cryptos, and even FIAT. An obvious store of value. It's value is also likely to only rise the less stable FIAT becomes. So arguably all this points to it being a far less speculative investment.
          Well gold is worth less now than it was 5 years ago. Yes, it's relatively stable compared to fiat and certainly to crypto. But as I've said before, we're still right at the beginning with crypto and what's happened to it represents 100s of years worth of gold price fluctuation compressed into a few years. I don't know whether gold is a good long term bet or not right now. Possibly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hubble View Post

Well gold is worth less now than it was 5 years ago. Yes, it's relatively stable compared to fiat and certainly to crypto. But as I've said before, we're still right at the beginning with crypto and what's happened to it represents 100s of years worth of gold price fluctuation compressed into a few years. I don't know whether gold is a good long term bet or not right now. Possibly.
            It's way way up over the last 20 years though. It can also be argued that it's a much safer haven than fiat if you look at what's happening geopolitically with the dollar currently, and the less stable that situation becomes the more likely gold prices will rise, as it's only natural people want their assets to hold (or increase) their value. It has genuine utility too, hence why its price is so stable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanley View Post

It's way way up over the last 20 years though. It can also be argued that it's a much safer haven than fiat if you look at what's happening geopolitically with the dollar currently, and the less stable that situation becomes the more likely gold prices will rise, as it's only natural people want their assets to hold (or increase) their value. It has genuine utility too, hence why its price is so stable.
              There's no doubt it's safer than fiat!

Comment

• ah bitcoin, I will buy some someday...waiting for it drop below 3k which is soon right? ;-)

Was told in the pub told last weekend that I should be buying Ethereum. Advice from the pub is always good right?
                "When you look annoyed all the time, people think you're busy"

Comment

• Originally posted by Brian Wilson View Post
                  ah bitcoin, I will buy some someday...waiting for it drop below 3k which is soon right? ;-)

Was told in the pub told last weekend that I should be buying Ethereum. Advice from the pub is always good right?
                  I bought 200 hundred quids worth of Ethereum about 6 months back..................best 100 quid I ever spent!
                  Co-Founder of the Dubai R's
                  Follow me on Twitter @Tarbie82

Comment

Working...
                  X