Match Thread | F.A CUP RD 4 | Portsmouth 1 QPR 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Match Thread | F.A CUP RD 4 | Portsmouth 1 QPR 1

QPR full-back Darnell Furlong is not taking the potential chance of progressing to the FA Cup fifth round for the first time in 22-years lightly.

The R’s head to League One leaders Portsmouth on Saturday aiming to book their place in the fifth round for the first time since 1997.

And Furlong is desperate to ensure QPR’s number is in the hat for Monday’s draw.

“I take the cup very seriously and in recent years we have not done very well in it so we want to be in the fifth round,” Furlong told www.qpr.co.uk.

“Watching the draw after beating Leeds, the players' group chat was pinging off with the teams that were left as there were a few big sides still in the hat.

“Now it would be nice to get through and go and play one of those sides as we fancy ourselves in the FA Cup.”

Standing between Furlong and a potential Premier League tie however is a Portsmouth team going well in League One.

The south coast outfit are currently top of League One and despite having lost their last two league outings they will present a real threat to the R’s.

“They are doing very well,” said Darnell. “They are top of their league and I can imagine they are treating every game as important to continue that momentum.

“Next season they could be in our league depending on what happens with us so we are looking forward to the challenge.”

AHEAD of Saturday's FA Cup Fourth Round match against Portsmouth we take a look at the tactics behind the League One leaders. Manager

Kenny Jackett

Age - 57

Previous clubs managed

Watford, Swansea, Millwall, Wolves and Rotherham

Career High-Point

Has won promotion with Swansea (from League Two), Millwall and Wolves (both from League One)

Preferred managerial style

A pragmatic approach, teams are usually defensively very well drilled.

Managerial record at Portsmouth

Games 91 Wins 49 Draws 13 Lost 29

Kenny Jackett’s record against QPR

Games 5 Wins 1 Draws 2 Lost
    Formation and Tactical approach

Portsmouth play a 4-2-3-1 formation, operating with two out and out wingers, a target man up top and two central midfielders in the middle of the park. Jackett’s side usually deploys a number 10 just behind the frontman. Pompey almost always play with a flat back four with Jack Whatmough and Matt Clarke instrumental at the heart of their defence

Last game and performance

Portsmouth made the semi-finals of the Checkatrade Trophy with a narrow 1-0 win over League One side Peterborough. QPR player David Wheeler, who was playing his last game on loan for Jackett’s side, scored the winner five minutes from time

Comment

Never mind the football sideshow, where is everyone going to the pub?! We are getting a train into the harbour area then jumping on a train to Fratton.

Comment

Just want Schteve to turn up with a full strength team and give it a go don't sell the 2800 going short, put out our best side

Comment

Originally posted by dave58 View Post
          Just want Schteve to turn up with a full strength team and give it a go don't sell the 2800 going short, put out our best side
          His comments on the offish say we're going for it. C'mon URsssss

Comment

If you can’t get to the match you can watch it on Espn+
            You Rsssssss

Comment

Looking forward to it and heading down there in hope that this year a run may be on the cards.

Comment

Apparently, Eze injured
                nsa/cia spy on this..............┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman34 View Post
                  Apparently, Eze injured
                  Split ends
                  Chelmsford City the home of Radio

Comment

Grant Hall and Aramide Oteh to start in FA Cup - predicted QPR team to face Portsmouth

The clash at Fratton Park will undoubtedly be seen as a massive opportunity for Steve McClaren's side to start a cup run.

There will be real sense of intrigue when the Queens Park Rangers team is released on Saturday afternoon.

The Hoops take on Portsmouth in the FA Cup fourth round after progressing from the third round for the first time in 22 years against Leeds United.

The clash at Fratton Park will undoubtedly be seen as a massive opportunity to progress further.

Of course, performing in the Championship will always be the priority, but with the Steve McClaren's side having seven days before their next league game there's no excuse for not fielding a strong team.

Speaking about his team selection, McClaren hinted that he plans to name a strong side, saying: "This is a proper game, make no mistake about it.

“There will be no using the squad, tweaking this, tweaking that or resting players. There won’t be anything like that.

“We will be putting out a team which we feel can get us the result.”

However a clash against the League One side does seem like a good chance to make a few alterations in order to give certain individuals a chance to impress.

With that in mind, here's how Phil Spencer expects QPR to line up at Fratton Park.

"Portsmouth is a particularly tricky cup tie for QPR, and if they underestimate them it'll cost them.

"Pompey are an excellent team who are brimming with confidence, and it's essential that the Hoops play a strong side at Fratton Park - afterall, there's no need to rest players with no game for another seven days.

"That said, I do think a couple of changes would be beneficial.

"One player who would hugely benefit from starting the game is Matt Ingram.

"His confidence has been shaky of late and I think he deserves an opportunity to start at Fratton Park.

"In defence, I'd start Osman Kakay and Grant Hall alongside Toni Leistner and Jake Bidwell. Both players have proven that they're able to put in consistent displays and deserve a start.

"In midfield, I'd stick with Luke Freeman, Josh Scowen and Jordan Cousins. Bright Osayi-Samuel has shown glimpses of what he can do in the Championship and so I'd give him a chance to impress at the expense of Pawel Wszolek.

"Ebere Eze is a doubt for the clash with Portsmouth, but providing he's match fit then I think he should keep his place in the number 10 role.

"In attack, I'd start with Aramide Oteh.

"The youngster was very impressive against Leeds United, and a trip to Fratton Park seems like the ideal clash to test him further against a strong side."

Predicted QPR team to face Portsmouth: Matt Ingram, Osman Kakay, Grant Hall, Toni Leistner, Jake Bidwell, Bright Osayi-Samuel, Jordan Cousins, Josh Scowen, Luke Freeman, Ebere Eze, Aramide Oteh.

https://www.football.london/queens-p...-news-15731789

Comment

loftus lad is our moose
                      he be doing his finger exercises tonight ready for 90 mins solid upto date typing.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtleighsr3 View Post
                        loftus lad is our moose
                        he be doing his finger exercises tonight ready for 90 mins solid upto date typing.
                        All copy n paste .....do ya know what that means man ?

Comment

Originally posted by LoftusRoadLad View Post

All copy n paste .....do ya know what that means man ?
                          not on match day it aint,u like a telecast

Comment

I just hope there is a good stable stream available as there is no QPR Plus option for me to watch, I expect a tough well contested match, we do need to play a strong 11 to have a chance of being in Monday's draw!
                            @gatorTFC

Comment

Up early and ready to get into Portsmouth

come on QPR

Comment

Working...
                              X