Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Match thread | Sheff U 1 QPR 0

R’s face tough Blades encounter

QUEENS PARK RANGERS face a difficult trip to Bramall Lane on Saturday to face Sheffield United as the Sky Bet Championship returns.

The R’s took a break from league action last week and ended up advancing into the FA Cup 4th round. Meanwhile, Sheffield United were on the end of a cup shock having been defeated 1-0 by non-league side Barnet.

It should be stated that it was a much changed Sheffield United side from the one that has seen them rise to third in the league.

United are enjoying another fine season under Chris Wilder and find themselves just four points off the leaders Leeds United.

The Blades, being led by Billy Sharp up top with 16 goals, have won their last three league matches and have bounced back well from consecutive home defeats against West Brom and Leeds United.

It means Saturday’s encounter will be a testing one for McClaren’s side but one they will go into in a confident manner given their current form.

When the two sides met earlier this campaign a controversial penalty from David McGoldrick settled the game but both teams have heavily improved since then.

QPR’s last victory against Sheffield United came in the promotion season when the R’s were 3-0 winners thanks to goals from Hogan Ephraim, Jamie Mackie and Adel Taarabt. Head to Head

Played: 54

QPR wins: 18

Draws: 19

Sheffield United wins: 17 Classic Encounter

Sheffield United 2-3 QPR – February 2006

QPR completed a double over Sheffield United with a famous win at Bramall Lane. Marc Nygaard raced clear to put the R’s ahead after only six minutes, but Ade Akinbiyi quickly equalised. Marc Bircham headed a corner into his own net after 29 minutes but Craig Morgan’s own goal levelled the score-line. Paul Furlong's fine left-foot finish sealed a shock victory with 16 minutes left. Man in the Middle

Andy Woolmer – Has handed out 20 yellow cards, one red card and one penalty in five Championship games this season. He was last in charge of the R’s 2-2 draw against Rotherham United back in December. Manager Quotes

Steve McClaren: "This game is probably one of the toughest ones of the season. They are doing so well and I love the way they play their football. They have a great balance, good experience and goalscorers in Sharp, McGoldrick, Clarke and now Madine as well."

Chris Wilder: "They have some talented players at the top of the pitch. Luke Freeman and Nahki Wells. They have some good young players. Loftus Road is always a difficult place to go but their away record has been good this season also with wins at Forest and draws at Villa. They will fancy themselves to put some results together with an experienced manager to be involved in the end of season scrap. News from the Treatment Room

QPR

Out: Angel Rangel, Tomer Hemed, Massimo Luongo (International Duty), Geoff Cameron

Doubtful: None Sheffield United

Out: No injury concerns

Doubtful: None

https://www.qpr.co.uk/fixtures/first...s/?tab=preview

STEVE McClaren is expecting QPR to face one of their toughest tests of the season when they take on Sheffield United at Bramall Lane this weekend. The Blades are currently third in the table and just two points behind an automatic promotion spot.

Having won their last three league games, confidence will certainly be high in the home dressing room on Saturday, and McClaren told www.qpr.co.uk: “This game is probably one of the toughest ones of the season.

“They are doing so well and I love the way they play their football.

“They have a great balance, good experience and goalscorers in their side – and they have added Gary Madine as well, who is a very good Championship player.

“He is perfect for what they do with two up front, and he will score goals. He will certainly make them stronger.”

McClaren’s men also have every reason to be feeling good about themselves right now. Our historic victory at Nottingham Forest was followed up by a rare FA Cup third round triumph with a 2-1 win over Leeds.

“I am definitely getting a good feeling from the fans - the messages are certainly a lot better than they were a few months ago!” said the R’s boss with a smile.

“But we keep our feet on the ground which is the most important thing. We go from game to game. We had a good Christmas and New Year period, and now we have got to do it again.

“I keep saying to the players that you may have had a good week or a good performance, but you have got to go out and do that the next time as well.”

The FA Cup win was one which gave the R’s boss immense satisfaction.

“What delighted me most about winning that game was the performance of individual players who have been very, very patient – and they’ve had to be because the team has been doing so well

“Those players came in and they impacted the game. That trust level then goes higher and higher, and that’s what we want – 16, 17, 18 players who know their role in the team and are ready to play their part, whether that’s starting or off the bench.

“I thought Matty Ingram did great in goal. Ok, a mistake happened but his recovery was excellent and that shows good mentality.

“Grant Hall came through 90 minutes very, very well, and I thought Darnell Furlong looked exceptional at centre-back as well.

“You’ve got the emergence of Rem (Aramide Oteh) and he did great, and provides more competition up front.

“Bright (Osayi-Samuel) was excellent as well and he hasn’t had many opportunities, so I was delighted with that.”

Sheffield United, meanwhile. were knocked out of the competition owing to a 1-0 home defeat to National League side Barnet, not that McClaren is reading too much into that result.

Chris Wilder made ten changes for the game, and McClaren added: “You can see clearly what their target is - they will be focusing on the playoffs and maintaining their challenge for the top two.

“They are in a great position for that. They had a dip last season but I don’t think that will be the case this time.”

Rangers will certainly be the underdogs for this game, and while that served them well this season with wins over Aston Villa, Middlesbrough and Forest, it isn’t a tag that the QPR boss is overly keen on.

“I would rather be one of the teams up there and challenging for the top two,” he said, “but we are not in that position.

“We are still recovering from what was a bad start and the boys are getting better and better, and becoming a group.

“All I talk about each week is producing a performance, individually and collectively, between 7 and 9 out of ten. Get that consistency and you will get results. That’s what they have been doing and that’s what we must continue to do.”

Aside from Angel Rangel (thigh), Geoff Cameron (ankle), Tomer Hemed (hernia) and Mass Luongo (international duty), McClaren confirmed the rest of the squad trained fully this week and are available for selection.

Comment

Why doesn't Schteeve talk b0ll0cks like some of his predecessors? I thought that was a part of the job.
      "I don't read the papers, I don't gamble, I don't even know what day it is." - Steve McClaren.

Comment

With Derby losing tonight, a win puts us 1 point away from top 6!

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo View Post
          Why doesn't Schteeve talk b0ll0cks like some of his predecessors? I thought that was a part of the job.
          So refreshing isn't it Buffalo. Btw, love that quote in your sig :-) Clearly a focused man who knows his priorites in life and sticks to them.

Comment

It is refreshing Stanley. He seems like a decent, honest and sensible fella that knows what he's doing. Far from a Wally.

I go into every match now thinking we have real chance of winning, instead of hoping for a miracle. It's not something I am used to.
            "I don't read the papers, I don't gamble, I don't even know what day it is." - Steve McClaren.

Comment

SMC a class act.

Comment

Anyone else feeling confident today. I think we can do them, A win today and were right in the mix for top 6.
                Were 4 points off top 6. If we lose today. We will still be 4 points off top 6. (after last nights result)
                In my opinion. we need to take advantage of this and i think we will.

Comment

This will likely be one of our tougher tests between now and the season end, a point would be a good outcome. I fancy a 2-2 draw at 14/1.

Comment

DwtxmT4XcAM3qB5.jpg:small.jpg

Comment

As expected line up

Comment

Sheffield United: Henderson, Baldock, Stevens, Fleck, O’Connell, Basham, Sharp, Egan, Norwood, McGoldrick, Duffy
                        Subs: Moore, Dowell, Clarke, Madine, Coutts, Stearman, Johnson

Comment

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OGC.e...MDR9wNATfggBTQ

Comment

Sheff utd at home.. Always makes me think of a home game in the early 90's when Alan Cork spent 90 minutes piston pumping his elbows into Darren Peacock like Ian Curtis doing his epileptic seizure dance. He Lost Control.

The match took place at the apex of a 3 day bender i was on revelling in all the fruits of the Ecstasy sensorial garden, yet i recall clearly at the time thinking that Cork was a liberty taking c unt of some note.

In fact, i'm sure a famous linguist once said..

'That of all the phrases in the English language, of all the endless combinations of words in all of history, that "Alan Cork Big nose C unt' , is the most beautiful.

3-3 Conor washington all six.
                            Changeable. Alterable. Mutable. Variable. Versatile. Moldable. Movable. Fluctuate. Undulate. Flicker. Flutter. Pulsate. Vibrate. Alternate. Plastic. Prog. House.

https://twitter.com/DiscoDroid

Comment

Check out @jeffqpr1882’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/jeffqpr1882/stat...474603008?s=09

Comment

Working...
                              X