No announcement yet.

Burnley Match Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [QUOTE=Kevin Mcleod;1167377]Lets hope this isnt the start of a slump now. We have ridden our luck in a few games, today we got exposed and the scoreline mirrors what everyone has been saying lately that we havent been playing that well even though we were unbeaten. I really like harry, one of my favorite people in football, but i so dont get his tactics, did he ever play any of his other teams so negatively? Dont remember spurs playing the way we do.[/QUOTE]

A very valid question.
    QPR
    Best team in the world
    Sort of

Comment

• TBH looked like we went there and was happy to sit for a point. Bad move

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Mcleod View Post
        To be fair we have played like that so much so far this season, its just that nobody we have played yet were as good as burnley. Can anyone remember a really great performance where we have played the other team off the park like burnley did to us today?
        We havent scored more than two in a game yet either, when is that 'tonking' going to happen

Yer agree 100% ..we have been waiting for a decent performance all season.

Comment

• Burnley pressed us, and their finishing for the first was excellent, but even with our terrible performance, they didn't create a huge amount themselves.

Stepping back from the frustration of watching that, we may have been poor today, but we don't actually have to play much better than that to stay up the top end of the league for the rest of the season.

If we do have a second gear, and can find it more importantly, we should be OK.

Comment

• We lacked pace & passion.

Comment

To be fair we have played like that so much so far this season, its just that nobody we have played yet were as good as burnley. Can anyone remember a really great performance where we have played the other team off the park like burnley did to us today?
              We havent scored more than two in a game yet either, when is that 'tonking' going to happen
              I think you are over reacting, Middlesborough and barnsley were as good performances as burnley's today and its not like we expected this unbeaten run to last. I am actually happier it ended here than against a side we should really be destroying
              "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

• Well. That sucked. Never a pen - but we didn't look like scoring anyway. Completely and utterly inert.

Green - Couldn't do much about the goals TBH.
                Simpson - Did OK.... But was somewhat neutralised by having O'Neil in front of him.
                Dunne - Solid to be fair
                Hill - Solid to be fair
                Assou-Ekotto - Clearly had his Billy Big B0ll0x hat on. Slack and useless. Has he been hanging out with Adel and Traroe?
                O’Neil - A good player, but offers no attacking threat on the right. Hoping Phillips gets fit (and is decent) so he (O'Neil) can perhaps play the role that Henry plays.
                Barton - Industrious..... but once again trying the "clever" football and Hollywood passes in a situation where it isn't required. That approach left us in trouble at times.
                Henry - He's solid in front of the back four...... But he's not exactly the Don in terms of skill and vision. Cost us a goal and missed a sitter.
                Hoilett - The only real attacking threat..... But hardly something to sit on you right hand and get the kleenex out for......
                Kranjcar - did he play?
                Austin - Must be feeling lonelier than Barack Obama at a KKK convention.....
                Last edited by maverick69; 26-10-2013, 05:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
                  I think you are over reacting, Middlesborough and barnsley were as good performances as burnley's today and its not like we expected this unbeaten run to last. I am actually happier it ended here than against a side we should really be destroying
                  Name me a side we have "destroyed" so far this season? remember we have played what is likely to be the poorer teams of the league so far this season.

Comment

Think we've played really well once this season. The rest of it was just a case of not being quite as bad as the opposition.

Dreadful performances and tactics, but not surprising really. How on earth you can send out a team today that just isn't prepared to do the hard graft, is beyond me. Total lack of any clear strategy, other than not showing any attacking intent.

Comment

• My honest opinion?

Rangers played like a team who thought that a point at Turf Moor would be a good result. Burnley believed that they could win this game. Hmmm .... seem to remember this being discussed in a thread, during the week.

Beni had one of his 'away with the fairies' days (he had them at White Hart Lane too). Simpson didn't look great either. Hoilett's distribution was poor & he kept wanting to go for goal, when others were better positioned to shoot. Barton (for all his faults and crass stupidity) still has something about him .... something that should still get you out of this division, come May.

Charlie Austin was quiet. He had very little to feed on & also, you wonder if the enormity of playing against his old team affected him emotionally. Along with Joey, the creative spark in your team is Kranjčar & once he went off, there was no way you were going to score. Jenas and Matty Phillips were not going to gain a point or win that game for you. Chevanton could have, IF he'd had the service.

If Harry keeps taking Niko off at 70-75 minutes, how is the player ever supposed to know how it feels/get the stamina to play 90? That said, even an exhausted Kranjčar could still have provided through balls for Austin & Chevanton. Niko's passes are clever; incisive & rarely telegraphed - he does things that defenders don't expect him to do. Most of QPR's play today was too predictable.

Burnley were very good - certainly the best Championship team I've seen so far, this season. They had a plan and they made it work! Whether they have the strength in depth, should injuries befall them, I'm not so sure. Could be an interesting battle between you and them, this season!

Right, I'm off back to the kitchen, where some of you believe I belong!

Comment

• Was "Niko" even playing today? He is just one player and wont have the impact in this league as someone like Adel would have. Cant even last 90 mins.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Lurker View Post
                          My honest opinion?

Rangers played like a team who thought that a point at Turf Moor would be a good result. Burnley believed that they could win this game. Hmmm .... seem to remember this being discussed in a thread, during the week.

Beni had one of his 'away with the fairies' days (he had them at White Hart Lane too). Simpson didn't look great either. Hoilett's distribution was poor & he kept wanting to go for goal, when others were better positioned to shoot. Barton (for all his faults and crass stupidity) still has something about him .... something that should still get you out of this division, come May.

Charlie Austin was quiet. He had very little to feed on & also, you wonder if the enormity of playing against his old team affected him emotionally. Along with Joey, the creative spark in your team is Kranjčar & once he went off, there was no way you were going to score. Jenas and Matty Phillips were not going to gain a point or win that game for you. Chevanton could have, IF he'd had the service.

If Harry keeps taking Niko off at 70-75 minutes, how is the player ever supposed to know how it feels/get the stamina to play 90? That said, even an exhausted Kranjčar could still have provided through balls for Austin & Chevanton. Niko's passes are clever; incisive & rarely telegraphed - he does things that defenders don't expect him to do. Most of QPR's play today was too predictable.

Burnley were very good - certainly the best Championship team I've seen so far, this season. They had a plan and they made it work! Whether they have the strength in depth, should injuries befall them, I'm not so sure. Could be an interesting battle between you and them, this season!

Right, I'm off back to the kitchen, where some of you believe I belong!
                          I'll forgive you the slightly biased view of Niko today, love does funny things to the eyesight (if you're doing it right), but other than that that's pretty much a fair assessment.

What was interesting was that it appears that Chevanton has a good eye for a pass too. Hopefully we'll get a chance to see more of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
                            Im not over reacting i dont think. Im 100 per cent sure we will go up automatic and am ecstatic about the season thus far. But stevie wonder can see that was coming and there will be a lot more of it if harry doesnt change our tactics. Which i am sure he will do as he is a very good manager.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timmy the Doc View Post
                              We lacked pace & passion.
                              Today´s showing was a blast from the past. Err, to be precise; we played like we did in the prem last year
                              QPR
                              Best team in the world
                              Sort of

Comment

Im not over reacting i dont think. Im 100 per cent sure we will go up automatic and am ecstatic about the season thus far. But stevie wonder can see that was coming and there will be a lot more of it if harry doesnt change our tactics. Which i am sure he will do as he is a very good manager.
                                I think if AJ gets back in the side he will have to change tactics, we are all disappointed but lets see how we react Wednesday, equally as tough
                                I must away now, I can no longer tarry
                                This morning's tempest I have to cross
                                I must be guided without a stumble
                                Into the arms I love the most

Comment

Working...
                                X