X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mick leach R I P

rest in peace ... NEVER FORGET YOU

Picture of Mick with his wife Jenny from GOAL magazine

While flicking through the 296 editions of GOAL magazine in preparation for writing my next 'Brief guide' article on my website Goals and Wickets, I came across this picture of Mick with his wife Jenny.

Sharing it with my friend Phil Stevens who has written books about West Ham United but grew up with Mick, the Morgan twins and Derek Bellotti, he told me how much Jim Gregory had helped the couple in the early days of their marriage.

While at Liverpool University in the mid 1970's, where Phil and I became friends playing football for the University team, Mick got us tickets for Rangers' away game against Everton in 1976. Sadly, I didn't meet him to say thanks.

Mick's transformation from 'boo-boy' to crowd favourite was a strange although positive process with the right outcome. Gradually, over the seasons, the jeers stopped and a well earned respect was established.

I remember a super goal Mick scored one grey afternoon at the Loftus Road end when he cut inside from the inside left position and then calmly stroked the ball outside the diving keeper into the far corner of the net.

A class goal from a class player.

RIP Mick

Last edited by midfielder; 13-06-2013, 01:28 PM.

Comment

First time poster above and not sure the picture has loaded or linked properly.

If you click my name and then the 'Visit Homepage' link, a link to the the picture and short post are bottom left on the site homepage.

Thanks in advance for any views.

Comment

Don't remember him to much being quite young at the time, however a good player in a great team. R.I.P
        My old man was the star player for HMP Parkhurst during their successful and unbeaten 77/78 season.

Comment

mike

mike leach was to take terrible abuse from the crowd a bit like when trevor brooking first played for west ham as a striker,...........but as we know when trevor transferd himself to the midfield be become a legend,mick leach was the same,he was not a good striker ,he was a bit of a bobby zamora,but as a midfield player he had this fantastic ability to drift into the box and get on the end of a stray cross and yes mick leach scored many crucial goals from midfield as will go down in qpr history as being a crucial part of the greatest ever qpr team

REST IN PEACE MICKY LEACH YOU ARE RESPECTED AS A MIDFIELD PLAYER
          AND YOUR INCREDIBLE DESIRE WAS WHAT MADE YOU A STAYER

we of qpr send your family love peace and harmony and hope that they are all doing ok in life
          your premature death was to lead for so much stress to your beautifull wife
          Click here to view my blog.

More...

Comment

Working...
          X