A Tribute to Neil Roberts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Tribute to Neil Roberts.

They say, so I've been told, that Kent is the garden of England. Well I can tell you that on Monday the 7th day of March 2011 at 12.40pm, Kent, on a cold chilly but gloriously sunny day, opened it's arms and embraced our 'Brother in Hoops' Neil Graham Roberts for the last time.
    I arrived at Barham Crematorium just gone midday with my wife. Many people were milling around, I thought that naturally a funeral had just taken place, it soon became apparent to me that this large gathering, that was getting larger by the minute, were all here to pay their final respects to Neil.
    At about 12.30pm a hush fell on the courtyard where we were all standing. The only sound was the birds singing, as the two black limousines pulled up to The Chapel entrance.
    In the first, was Neil... His coffin was completely covered over with a huge QPR flag, that had the old Rangers badge emblazoned on it. In the second was Neils wife Becky with their little boy Charlie in her arms, and members of their immediate family.

Slowly everyone walked into The Chapel. Neil was laid to rest on 'The Alter' by the Pallbearers. In front of the coffin was a photo of Neil, beaming from ear to ear... He was dressed in the wedding outfit that he wore when he married Becky. As we all took our places for the service, the song 'Smile' by Nat King Cole was playing.
    After the Vicar had welcomed the congregation and said a few prayers, Becky stepped up to pay the first tribute to Neil. With Neils daughter Hayley by her side, she told us briefly of the illness that had taken Neil from her. Becky spoke of how Neils love for his daughters, and his family, first attracted her to him.... and how big a part QPR was in his life. She told us that Charlie would be brought up to know how important QPR was to his Father. Becky broke down a couple of times as she spoke. I glanced round as she recalled, and reminisced, about the wonderful times, the special holidays that her and Neil had shared together.... there weren't to many dry eyes in The Chapel, myself included!
    As Becky stepped down, the song by Rod Stewart 'Have I told you lately'was playing - It was Becky and Neils favourite song, the song they danced to on their wedding day... this was a very poignant moment, and many people openly wept.

Hayley and Claire, Neils daughters then read a poem between them dedicated to their Dad.... I'm sorry, but I can't remember any of the words, but I'm sure Neil would have been so proud of them as they stood there arm in arm together. They gave each other strength, but Hayley really struggled to read her parts of the poem - Again, people were fighting back the tears!
    As the girls finished their tribute to their Father, the song 'You are my sunshine' sung by Elizabeth Mitchellplayed ... I can't help but think that Neil chose this song with a big smile on his face, knowing that the QPR contingent in The Chapel, would be singing a slightly different version of those song words in their minds!

Sat in front of me was a gentleman with white hair. I didn't know that this man was Neil's Dad Jack Roberts - I'd only had a very brief conversation with Jack on the phone a few months earlier. Jack has a very soft Scottish accent, not that dissimilar to Sir Alex Ferguson. Jack got up and read a poem to his Son. Again it was a very poignant moment, Jack was physically shaking as he read, I'd say everyone felt for him as he struggled in parts to get the words out - You just don't expect to say goodbye to your Son in life... it's just the wrong order of events, the wrong way round!

Last of all to pay tribute to Neil was Beckys Dad Nick Leonard. Nick reminded us of the jobs that Neil had done over the years, including his time as the Chairman of the QPR Supporters Club, and his time at Yeading FC - Nick said that when Neil asked Becky to marry him, Neil asked him if he thought he was good enough for his daughter. Nick told him straight .... No! To which Neil answered 'Fair enough'. It was a light hearted moment which made us all smile.

The curtains closed on Neil..... As you know it's possibly the hardest time of the service for everyone because it's such a final defying moment. Then the Hymn 'Oh Lord my God' was sung, and as we left The Chapel the Average White Band song Pick up the Pieces played Neil's final tune.

I've been fortunate enough to make many friends over the years I've followed Rangers. In fact the majority of friends I accumulated in my life are QPR fans. I've been on holiday, been to weddings and christenings... Shared good times and bad times with so many people who have the same common interest that I have... and that's QPR!
    Neil Roberts is one of those people! Yes he did make a huge difference at our club. Unfortunately the powers that ruled QPR during Neils time, didn't take kindly to some of the things that Neil did for the fanbase. Neil came up with the motto for the QPR OSC 'ALWAYS THERE'. He devised a badge that incorporated that motto - Over 500 were made, and sold like hot cakes! Mr Thompson wasn't impressed, he also wasn't impressed that Neil had compulsory pub stops on away trips, and that Neil wanted all the Junior R's who became club mascots, to have a free QPR kit for their special day at Loftus Road. Neil fought and argued when this privilege was taken away. Neil had so much time for the young QPR supporters. Some kids are strong and lap up walking out on the hallowed Loftus Road turf, others find it a very daunting experience. It was those kids that Neil took extra special care of, and would personally take them under his wing by reassuring them, and just making sure that that time, was a very special time for them, and not just for their Mums and Dads!

Neil Roberts understood QPR fans, because quite simply he was/is a QPR fan! Not an outsider who'd been employed by the club to do a job, he lived and breathed QPR like you and I do.
    Neil also broke down the bad feeling between the club and The LSA, and would regularly phone Trevor Kingham to see if they had space on their coaches, and visa-versa from The LSA... That relationship came about because Neil was an LSA member himself!

QPR fans invaded the pitch in season 93/94 (If memory serves me correct) at the Leeds home game. Thompson had pushed everyone to limits. Neil was still just about hanging onto his job at the time... But he also got on the pitch to protest about Thompson, and that forced the club into getting Sheila Marson, who was the QPR secretary, to issue Neil with a letter that virtually sacked him for his actions by siding with the Rangers fans. Mind you, it was only months earlier at the away game to Aston Villa on Boxing-Day, that Neil prevented Thompson from getting a damn good hiding from a certain 'hard-core' body of QPR fans who really disliked him!

... Neil's local 'The Plough Inn' Herne Bay - This is where we all gathered after his final farewell, to celebrate his life and raise a glass in his honour. I was put on the spot to say a few words ..... with over 200 people present, and no preparation or word's written down, I just did it off the top of my head. I was so nervous I can't remember a word of what I said... My wife Kathy told me after I spoke that I did Neil proud. Nobody heckled me, but I think deep down Neil would have called me a tart, and told me to get a round of drinks in as I was boring the pants off of everyone!

It was my pleasure to meet and speak to the members of Neils family, the only sad thing for me was I've met these truly genuine wonderful people at such a solemn time ... God bless you all.

It's a justified tribute to Neil that so many people turned up to say goodbye to him, and the amount of messages on this messageboard and many other QPR messageboards over the past few months of Neil's life.

QPR fans who attended Neil's final farewell:

Simon Eales, Victor Stevenson, Bill Cox, Mick Ellicot Snr, Dave Robinson, Shelia Marson, Lisa Muller, Terry Dormer, Steve Russell, Pat Harrison, Tom Harrison, Dale Matthews (aka Hammer), Kathy Hylton and Joe Hylton.

NEIL ROBERTS 14 December 1957 - 19 February 2011
    ... Our 'Brother in Hoops' - I Love you mate!

Joe Hylton.
    Last edited by JoeHylton; 17-03-2011, 08:02 AM.
    R.I.P Steve Edwards, Neil Roberts & Trevor Kingham
    Our "BROTHERS in HOOPS"

excellent post,as always joe.

Comment

Nice one Joe.

Comment

Tears in my eyes reading this. I must have known Neil by sight as I went to a lot of away matches in the 70's and 80's. It's people like Neil that make our club special. May he rest in peace.

Comment

a very open and heart felt post...qpr is a special family.
          neil will be missed by family, friends and qpr. RIP.

Comment

Working...
          X