No announcement yet.

Sherperds bush Pubs Seventies and Eighties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the eighties it was the Crown & Sceptre in Melina Rd, just around the corner from me.
    I nearly cried when I saw what the middle class ####### who bought it, did to it. :very_sad: Gone, was the lovely little Victorian/Edwardian pub with the original fittings, and in it's place a charmless, run o' the mill, cold, soulless, gastro nightmare.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHRANGER1982 View Post
      In the eighties it was the Crown & Sceptre in Melina Rd, just around the corner from me.
      I nearly cried when I saw what the middle class ####### who bought it, did to it. :very_sad: Gone, was the lovely little Victorian/Edwardian pub with the original fittings, and in it's place a charmless, run o' the mill, cold, soulless, gastro nightmare.
      Ruined a great pub, withits shrine to Rangers over the bar. I was always impressed with the blue and white Christmas decorations. Many happy memories of that pub as it was, can't stand it now.
      RIP: Doug, Sniffer and Pat

Comment

Originally posted by kingo View Post
        Ruined a great pub, withits shrine to Rangers over the bar. I was always impressed with the blue and white Christmas decorations. Many happy memories of that pub as it was, can't stand it now.
        Agreed, Kingo.
        It was a good old QPR pub, in the heart of QPR country. I avoid the travesty in it's place, like the plague.
        I now go to any one of: The Queen Adelaide
        The Conningham Arms
        The Springbok.

But, from the time I could drink "legally", the Crown & Sceptre was my first, last, only port of call when the Rangers were home.

Comment

When they ruined the Crown I moved up to the Conny and then across to the Add but now back at the Conningham. Still miss the old Crown though and my pint of Pride and my meal of the day was one of those sausages in a french stick, then back onto the Pride watch the R's win and back again for more Pride. Happy Days.
          RIP: Doug, Sniffer and Pat

Comment

yeh the crown and sceptre was a nice homely pub with all the qpr photos etc.think it was run by a lady called sue?? dead right about the gastro an all.

now ole hammer always liked a drink and liked to mingle and be on the scene and must have been in every pub in the bush,but none of em was my local as such.my local was for me the best pub in the area by a country mile "the golden gloves" in fulham palace rd hammersmith.i`m sure many of you guys in my generation would have gone there or at least have heard of it.they had good bands/singers in there and was run by the famous mancini boxing/football family including "ole henry" terry mancini who played for you.great pub,clientele&loads of sorts/tarts in there!!!

i remember the ls incident at the princess vic,tho wasnt there and very rarely used the pub.sad.remember the smuts well as i used to play for a local team christon utd who were based around the white city and used the smuts as its base.this was the scene of a very young hammers first stag night(strippers were good and filth!!!).

anyone remember charlottes opening by the old queen charlottes hospital(it was formerly known as the queen of england) what about the wellington on the bush green with the afternoon strippers! and the trafalgar in the bush precinct!! haha happy days.;D

Comment

.........charlottes in circa 84 night before we went to magaluf myself n mark f.........blagged n nailed a certain arsenal bods missus n her mate from west acton..........sorry mr w..sh!
              you know nothing john snow!!!!

Comment

blimey mark f theres a blast from the past.i remember opening nite when the que went back for ages.all the chaps had may there way down there.never lasted that long did it? was the dwarf there ?cant remember

Comment

he was there if my memory serves me with the dj n the other ### who's name escapes me for the min...........the 'silly' one!
                  you know nothing john snow!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X