Ian Gillard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ian Gillard

Does anyone remember the Gillard step over... Had no pace to it but always got a chear . Just wanted to share my flash back from my lunch hour
    Clive was a hero but big Bob was the nuts!

I used to play for Ian's dad's boys club, Pathfinders.

Got my 'Managers Player of the Year' (effectively for being the most sporting player-I wasn't much cop tbf ) award presented by Ian as I recall

Top bloke.

Comment

Great player. Got a few caps didn't he?

Comment

Loved the guy. Solid, unshowy defender. Was called by those who stood near me in the Loft as 'the shovel' on account of his habit, having sold the winger a dummy, of hoofing the ball up the left wing channel in the bad old days of 1978-79 when there was little else open to him.... He was solid in the air at defensive set pieces and good on the overlap, too

Comment

Originally posted by DeepcutHoop View Post
          I used to play for Ian's dad's boys club, Pathfinders.

Got my 'Managers Player of the Year' (effectively for being the most sporting player-I wasn't much cop tbf ) award presented by Ian as I recall

Top bloke.
          Was that local to where you are now mate?

Used to live round the corner from me when I lived in Sandhurst.

Comment

Originally posted by brightonr View Post
            Was that local to where you are now mate?

Used to live round the corner from me when I lived in Sandhurst.
            Pathfinders BC were based over in Iver Heath, I was living in Slough. Not sure where Reg lived at the time tbh

Comment

Originally posted by Since72 View Post
              Does anyone remember the Gillard step over... Had no pace to it but always got a chear . Just wanted to share my flash back from my lunch hour
              Topical - because by pure coincidence he happens to be the special guest on London Callin tomorrow.

Maybe it was more a premonition than a flashback

Comment

ill

i remember he was first introduced by tommy docherty in 1968-69,but he really got involved in the following season i remeber he played in a southend away game that i attended and he scored two brilliant goals but both were disallowed

the goals were disallowed for other players being off side
                Click here to view my blog.

More...

Comment

Originally posted by Since72 View Post
                  think it was more of a shimmy than a step over always used to show he was going to go down the line then shimmy inside the player
                  Glen Roeder was king of the step overs

Comment

when he was an apprentice he worked in the Mars factory on the summer shut down with a few of my mates painting
                    Football played the Charlie Ferris way

Comment

Fabulous player and so appropriate after so many years at the club, that his last game for us was the FA Cup Final. Him and Clement complimented each other superbly.

Comment

a very solid left back who was a 'does what it says on the tin' type of full back ie. wins tackles, headers makes clearances and passes the ball with some attacking play thrown in.

Yes, his career at QPR ended fittingly with a Cup Final, shame he was on the losing side though.

Comment

Ian Gillard

Originally posted by DeepcutHoop View Post
                          Pathfinders BC were based over in Iver Heath, I was living in Slough. Not sure where Reg lived at the time tbh
                          deepcut i also played for pathfinders for a good few years at iver heath, we trained at langley county sec school, if i remember rightly Reg lived
                          in britwell ? not 100% sure..trying to remember some of the names of the team only one i can remember is Trevor How who went on to play for watford
                          happy days.,

Comment

Originally posted by minstrel View Post
                            deepcut i also played for pathfinders for a good few years at iver heath, we trained at langley county sec school, if i remember rightly Reg lived
                            in britwell ? not 100% sure..trying to remember some of the names of the team only one i can remember is Trevor How who went on to play for watford
                            happy days.,

Comment

Ian was a consistently good performer, Mr realable as I remember
                              I blew a lot on vodka and tonic, gambling and fags. Looking back, I think I overdid it on the tonic. - The one and only Stanley Bowles

Comment

Working...
                              X