How we do our business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How we do our business

From Clive's LFW match preview, regarding our signing of Ian Evatt while Holloway was in charge:

Holloway told the Blackpool Gazette after being appointed: “There are no problems between me and Ian – he is a fantastic lad. He has done fantastically for Blackpool and I can't wait to work with him again. But Ian knows the way I am with players. What I said to Ian back in our days at QPR together was that it was a mistake for the chairman to run off and get him because he was on our list and we were going to talk about him. I said to the owner I'm going on holiday for a week, a little break. Two days later he's on the phone shouting that he's got Ian Evatt. I just thought 'what is going on?' We had signed him without even giving the player a medical and you can't run a football club like that. So I said to Ian 'hang on a minute this is what happened'. In hindsight, if I could go back, I wouldn't have told Ian that. He didn't need to know that. It was my frustration with the board and I didn't need to be that upfront with him. I think it affected the kid. But at the time the defence wasn't my top priority. I had Clarke Carlisle and Danny ****tu and what I was looking to do was buy a striker to add to the ones I already had. I think that QPR team would have done something if we had done that. So I wanted to get that right and unfortunately Ian was caught in that drama.”

Might hold a few clues as to why, with 24hrs to go, we still have no replacement keeper, no left back and no striker.
    QBP 20th August 2009..."To be fair, I'm glad we are top of the table (for agents fees). Shows we are not a selling club anymore."

Originally posted by Captain Clunge View Post
    From Clive's LFW match preview, regarding our signing of Ian Evatt while Holloway was in charge:

Holloway told the Blackpool Gazette after being appointed: “There are no problems between me and Ian – he is a fantastic lad. He has done fantastically for Blackpool and I can't wait to work with him again. But Ian knows the way I am with players. What I said to Ian back in our days at QPR together was that it was a mistake for the chairman to run off and get him because he was on our list and we were going to talk about him. I said to the owner I'm going on holiday for a week, a little break. Two days later he's on the phone shouting that he's got Ian Evatt. I just thought 'what is going on?' We had signed him without even giving the player a medical and you can't run a football club like that. So I said to Ian 'hang on a minute this is what happened'. In hindsight, if I could go back, I wouldn't have told Ian that. He didn't need to know that. It was my frustration with the board and I didn't need to be that upfront with him. I think it affected the kid. But at the time the defence wasn't my top priority. I had Clarke Carlisle and Danny ****tu and what I was looking to do was buy a striker to add to the ones I already had. I think that QPR team would have done something if we had done that. So I wanted to get that right and unfortunately Ian was caught in that drama.”

Might hold a few clues as to why, with 24hrs to go, we still have no replacement keeper, no left back and no striker.
    And too many midfielders who cant all play in the same side. Does give an insight into how the club used to and maybe still does operate

Comment

GP seems to have far to much influence on who comes to QPR and why do so many come form the same agency ?

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Clunge View Post

We have strikers - Balanta, HH, Vine, Pat, Italian bloke - that's 5, with Routledge and Taarabt both capable of playing up front too. Why do we need one more?

Agreed that they are not the best in the league but we should sell before we buy strikers.

Comment

I think Evatt is a different kettle of fish entirely to the other recent signings.....

I honestly think that Evatt was done purely on GP's enthusiasm and putting down a marker. He knew he was on the wanted list, found out he was available and went and got him. Thinking he was doing the right thing. Remember at this point, he'd never worked at a club or got involved in the insurance/club administration side of a signing. Chesterfield are still laughing to this day.

Having said that - with regard to Lee Cook and Helgusson, it does seem lessons are not learned. For whatever reason. The lack of a club secretary won't help things.

Comment

Originally posted by paulmason View Post
            GP seems to have far to much influence on who comes to QPR and why do so many come form the same agency ?
            Dont tell me you believe that old myth touted about by the whingers as well do you?

Comment

Don't you think the papers would have been over it like a bad rash if there was anything in it?
              We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are...

Comment

Originally posted by NewarkR View Post
                Don't you think the papers would have been over it like a bad rash if there was anything in it?
                No - we're not newsworthy. One of the benefits of being a Championship club amongst 5 Premier League neighbours is that the spotlight shines elsewhere.

Even if there is an overeliance on one agency, that's not to say there's anything wrong or shady about that but it does severely narrow your palette and leave you open to all sorts of rumour.

Who knows eh?

Comment

We're newsworthy, because of Flavio. The Mail would love to rip him (and Bernie) to shreds.

Comment

Evatt still plying his trade in the championship?

How many years ago was that?

Nice to know, we've come a long way since then and with Flavio's record of firing people left right and centre, shows what a good job GP must be doing.
                    ALL BEST BANTER AND ALL THE LATEST FROM QPR.
                    THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

Comment

We're newsworthy, because of Flavio. The Mail would love to rip him (and Bernie) to shreds.
                      But its nothing to do with FB or BE, its Gianni.
                      QBP 20th August 2009..."To be fair, I'm glad we are top of the table (for agents fees). Shows we are not a selling club anymore."

Comment

What is?

A story from 5 years ago?

Wouldn't call that newsworthy now, by any stretch of the imagination.
                        ALL BEST BANTER AND ALL THE LATEST FROM QPR.
                        THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

Comment

How naive are you?

They would be tarred with the same brush.

Comment

How naive are you?

They would be tarred with the same brush.
                            Nope - it's well known that BE and FB are made of Teflon in media circles. Nothing sticks, and believe me, many have tried over the past 15-20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by qblockpete View Post
                              Evatt still plying his trade in the championship?

How many years ago was that?

Nice to know, we've come a long way since then and with Flavio's record of firing people left right and centre, shows what a good job GP must be doing.
                              In all seriousness, what does he do to justify is continued employment ?

Comment

Working...
                              X