My view of tonights game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My view of tonights game

I was actually expecting this to be a tough game, but when i saw our strong line up, i was very confident we would win. In a way, it looked almost like a team that could possibly start against Blackpool, but with Faurlin and Buzz missing, who knows if changes will be made? The only position i was not happy about, was Fitz Hall as im not a big fan.

ANyway, before we knew it we were 1 -0 up. Cant remember too much as it was so quick, but the ball came in crossed towards mahon who dived and headed well past the keeper. It was a great start and we were pretty much in control for the rest of the game.

Not too long after, Balanta and vine linked up superbly, and the ball fell to agyemang who smashed his shot home confidently to make it 2 -0 and the game was pretty much over already.

We passed the ball around really well and the vine agyemang link up play was great - but it still felt to me as if a striker was missing. Balanta looked excellent on the lef,t and caused non stop problems, linknig up well with vine in particular. Rowlands amnd mahon also dominated the midfield and we kept the ball really well.

At the back, Connolly was at left back which i know is not his position but for me, he looked very good there and would do a better job than Borrowdale from what ive seen. However, if this means Hall will play centre back, its a no no from me! Hall though to be fair looked very good today. Then again i think he always looks good on the ball, but when it comes to vital areas, such as heading the ball away and marking defenders, he is second rate.

The second half was pretyt much all us again, especially at the start where we hada number of chance. Again Vine linking up well with Agyemang and having a shot deflected wide, and Balanta also having a shot whizz just past the post. Mahon also let a left foot drive fligh from 25 yards, only to see it just miss the top corner. We did seem to start slowing down after a while however, and the game became a little boring. We were keeping the ball well and passing it about but there wasnt ever a main striker in the box to bang the goals in. Apart from helgusson, i dont really see any other strikers that we have who are natural goal scorers. I know helgusson didnt exactly impress last year, but its a fact that he is always in the right positions at the right time, which is where a striker should be - in the box!! And i guarentee he will get goals this year, with the amount of chances we are creating.

Taraabt also came on and did some flash skills, and also gave the ball away at other times. He did almost score when he took on a defender only to see his shot parried away. They did get a goal back - and it was a very dissapointing one to concede. A free kick was not clearer, and it fell to some big lump who smashed it home. Im not blaming this completely on Fitz Hall - but it was a typical rangers goal to give away when Fitz plays.... Ball played accross, not cleared, and then easy chance for the player. For me, Hall is good on the floor, but hes very poor in the air and strikers easily lose him and this will be costly in the league. Stewart may not be as composed as him, but he does what a defender needs to do - get the damn ball away, and win the headers. Our defence was superb last year, and i think putting hall in will be an unecessary disruption - and a costly error of judgement.

Overall - a great game in terms of keeping possesion and spraying the ball around - but a typical stupid goal to give away, and still feel that a natural striker is missing, despite some nice link up play.

Here are some player ratings that i can remember!...

Cerny - 7 - didnt have to do much, had no chance with the goal, but made some decent saves. Also did a nice cruyff turn to beat their striker!!

Ramage - 6 - typical ramage performance. Spme nice crunching tackles, gives his all - but useless coming forward, and no support at all for routledge, who i dont think has any confdence in passing to him

Gorkks - 8 - didnt have to do much, but was as solid as ever

Hall - 7 - played well when he had the ball, but is beaten way to easily in crucial positions

Conolly - 8 - thought he was very good at left back

Balanta - 9 - MOM - was a constant threat and will be suprised if he doesnt start agaisnt blackpool - he was superb

Rowlands - 7- solid in the midfield, did his job really well

Mahon - 7.5 - another solid performance, another goal, and nearly scored an absoloute belter

Routledge - 9 - Very close to MOM - was a contatnt threat and really looked up for it. Used the ball really well. If there was a better right back behind him, i think hed do even better

Agyemang - 7 - thought he did his job well, nice link up play and scored a great finish. Still not a natural goal threat though

Vine - 7 - had a great start to the first half, looked very sharp - but faded

subs that i took notice of!...

Taraabt- 6.5 - some moments of class- but also have the ball away a few too many times, which i could see magilton didnt like. Class player though and he will be a major signing. Would prefer him in the midfield though

Vignal - 7 - looked depsrate to get on the ball and impress. A couple of loose balls, but looked like he had a footballing brain and played some usefull passes and crosses. WOuld liek to see him given another go

Overall, a good performance, and also took note of Elvis when he warmed up - who looked fantastic! It was only a warm up, but he was very impressive

Best moment of the game... me catching the ball in the crowd with one hand!

Thanks for that.

Comment

Great report Dan cheers.

Comment

good report dando, thankyou. im stuck in jockland this week so relying on you guys to tell me how it was. one thing im a bit confused about - another poster thought vine and agyman looked toothless but you seemed quite impressed, albeit still saying we need a proper striker.

Comment

Originally posted by stainrodisalegend View Post
          good report dando, thankyou. im stuck in jockland this week so relying on you guys to tell me how it was. one thing im a bit confused about - another poster thought vine and agyman looked toothless but you seemed quite impressed, albeit still saying we need a proper striker.
          i wouldnt say they were at their best, but they werent toothless. We know how good vine can be, and he wasnt at his best, but played some nice link up play with agyemang - just as we have seem them do under de canio. They also brought balanta into the moves, and they created some nice chances - including agyemangs goal. This move also started with a fantastic crucnhing challenge form one of our players, who i couldnt make out, and we caught them on the break.

Agyemang and Vine linked up well, but they both looked almost as if they were both playing behind an invisible strikers - as they both like to drop deep. When crosses were coming in, we need someone in there, attacking the ball - but neither vine ar agyemang were doing this

Comment

That is my fear for the season as a whole. And I agree with with you about Helguson. I know everyone goes on about how many chances he misses but at least he is there to miss them. All our other players are looking to provide the pass for someone else to score. Assuming we aren't going to sign a decent striker, think we've got to put Helguson there. Dont see the point of Agyman when we already have lots of other players who create goals.

Comment

Nice report mate.

Think Helgusson will score more if we can create plenty of chances as we have been doing pre-season.Couple of goals would give him some confidence.Not a fan of his really,but probably the best we have when he gets his eye for goal.

Nice to see Dave finding the net pre-season.

Comment

Who was the third sub that came on at the end

I saw Alberti & German, but didn't hear the name of the third and didn't recognise him

Comment

Vignal a left back that plays for a french club and did have a brief spell as Liverpool
                  I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

Originally posted by RamseyR View Post
                    Who was the third sub that came on at the end

I saw Alberti & German, but didn't hear the name of the third and didn't recognise him
                    Third sub was Josh Parker according to the commentary
                    We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are...

Comment

Originally posted by stainrodisalegend View Post
                      That is my fear for the season as a whole. And I agree with with you about Helguson. I know everyone goes on about how many chances he misses but at least he is there to miss them. All our other players are looking to provide the pass for someone else to score. Assuming we aren't going to sign a decent striker, think we've got to put Helguson there. Dont see the point of Agyman when we already have lots of other players who create goals.
                      i agree. I think an out and out striker should probably replace agyemang, although him and vine have a great understanding. Id probably start with Vine and Helsgusson, with Agyemang as an impact sub. Hopefully Helgusson will find the back of the net this time round, as he missed more chances than ive ever seen last year, but i have faith!

Comment

Great report many thanks
                        http://www.facebook.com/pages/1882QP...5398272?ref=ts

Comment

Always good to know Balanta is performing well. Cheers
                          QPR fan since1987

@yousef_qpr

Comment

for me balanta has been our best player so far in pre season - and cannot see any reason why he wont start against Blackpool. I wouldnt be surprised to see Taraabt on the bench either

Comment

Originally posted by NewarkR View Post
                              Third sub was Josh Parker according to the commentary
                              Thanks NewarkR. That's the name I missed as the announcement was made.

Comment

Working...
                              X