No announcement yet.

Supporters influence players signings ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supporters influence players signings ?

To most footballers signing for QPR this is just a job, its business one they wish to succeed in. Now when I have been looking to progress my career and move on I look for 3 things: Progression, more money and will I be happy. Spending that much time at work part I need to feel that the working atmosphere will be a good and positive one. I get this feeling from the interviewer, HR, reception and listening to other employees gossip (its amazing what you can over hear in reception etc.).

Well if I was a footballer and QPR were looking to sign me what would I do to gauge the possible reception and support I would receive. 1st step call fellow pro's who have worked for the club and get their feedback. 2nd step when going for the interview try and gauge the managers attitude and the 3rd read the internet forums and history as this will give you a great insight as to some of the attitude of the supporters.

Well if I was reading the QPR forums what would I find, we boo our own players 20 mins into their début, some say sell our top scorer and when we do we moan why have we sold him (if Blackstock goes), we moan players are not good enough and then moan when they sign for some else, we moan that players we do sign are bad even though none of us have seen them and when some say support them, we say for how long 5 paltry games. We moan about the new manager (only a few have seen how he plays and sets out the team and that is only in friendlies), we moan the owners don't spend big, we moan if they do (3.5 million for Faurlin)

Now if I was a player looking to come to a club with this attitude that i didn't support us as a child, I can tell you say that unless I had no other option and was unemployed that unless the money on offer was a lot more than I was being offered else were I wouldn't sign, because like most jobs you have good periods and bad, and like everyone else I need the support of everyone to help through the bad times, and from were I sit we can say we do this here can we.

I think supporters and forums are becoming a big part of helping attract good players, and supporters who are fickle, moan, boo and complain do have an effect. What are your thoughts?
    One for all.... and all for one

Good post.
    @chrisrobson9

Comment

Good post...on the third step.

I think a few players are very savvy, some arent and some dont care about these things. Virtually every QPR player I've met I've asked if they read here (post even) or any of the other boards.

A few admit they read here (no-one has said they post) and that they do so to gauge reaction after a game - to see if we thought they had a good game or a bad game. The other thing - and this did make me giggle - is a couple said they look here to see what's going on, anyone coming in or any rumours about them leaving!!

I think the most intelligent ones just stay clear of the boards and get on with the day job.
      Running the London Marathon for the Down's Syndrome Association....

Visit my charity page here

Comment

It's probably why we're signing players who can't read English.

We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are...

Comment

Originally posted by NewarkR View Post
          It's probably why we're signing players who can't read English.

haha
          @chrisrobson9

Comment

Good post bigears

I think the internet plays an intergral part in gaging fans opinions. Owners want happy fans, the price of season tickets and match day prices are falling on deaf ears and I'm guessing all the fans want is one big names striker now. That will go some way to appease the fans.

Thats my feeling anyway. I am sure Flavio and Co would like to try and pretend fans are not that important, but I'd say if you take the whole football club, we are the MOST important. Unhappy fans leads to unhappy players, leads to unhappy board, frictions and arguments. When, everything is going well we are all happy. In general fans are fickle, we beat Blackpool 3-0 first game, then you will not hear a wisper, week later we lose to Plymouth and say lose 2-0, suddenly its the board who should take responsibility and players are rubbish, bad formations etc etc.

Must be said, being a fan of any club, we live for today in all aspects. We quickly forget certain comments and don't see what lies ahead.
            ALL BEST BANTER AND ALL THE LATEST FROM QPR.
            THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

Comment

Originally posted by Bigears View Post
              To most footballers signing for QPR this is just a job, its business one they wish to succeed in. Now when I have been looking to progress my career and move on I look for 3 things: Progression, more money and will I be happy. Spending that much time at work part I need to feel that the working atmosphere will be a good and positive one. I get this feeling from the interviewer, HR, reception and listening to other employees gossip (its amazing what you can over hear in reception etc.).

Well if I was a footballer and QPR were looking to sign me what would I do to gauge the possible reception and support I would receive. 1st step call fellow pro's who have worked for the club and get their feedback. 2nd step when going for the interview try and gauge the managers attitude and the 3rd read the internet forums and history as this will give you a great insight as to some of the attitude of the supporters.

Well if I was reading the QPR forums what would I find, we boo our own players 20 mins into their début, some say sell our top scorer and when we do we moan why have we sold him (if Blackstock goes), we moan players are not good enough and then moan when they sign for some else, we moan that players we do sign are bad even though none of us have seen them and when some say support them, we say for how long 5 paltry games. We moan about the new manager (only a few have seen how he plays and sets out the team and that is only in friendlies), we moan the owners don't spend big, we moan if they do (3.5 million for Faurlin)

Now if I was a player looking to come to a club with this attitude that i didn't support us as a child, I can tell you say that unless I had no other option and was unemployed that unless the money on offer was a lot more than I was being offered else were I wouldn't sign, because like most jobs you have good periods and bad, and like everyone else I need the support of everyone to help through the bad times, and from were I sit we can say we do this here can we.

I think supporters and forums are becoming a big part of helping attract good players, and supporters who are fickle, moan, boo and complain do have an effect. What are your thoughts?

Perhaps that's why we have signed so many non-English speaking players of late!!!!!!!!

SDC, Parejo, Ledesma, Taarbat, Lopez, Alberti, now Pccallili to name but a few!!!!
              oldhoop

The Bread Mans Blue and White Army

Comment

Originally posted by oldhoop View Post
                Perhaps that's why we have signed so many non-English speaking players of late!!!!!!!!

SDC, Parejo, Ledesma, Taarbat, Lopez, Alberti, now Pccallili to name but a few!!!!
                Yeah you're so right there...

Parejo - Spoke excellent English. His mother and father were really nice people too who followed the club everywhere, home and away.

Alberti - Speaks clear English

Taarbat - Speaks perfect English

Lopez - Speaks perfect English

Ledesma - Struggled with the language and managed to speak broken English

Branstons Pickle - Haven't got a clue!

Comment

Think you'll find most players realise how fickle fans can be love you one minute hate you after two games, there used to it. Manly they'll be taken in by the manager and his ideas for the club and of course the monthly salaries. You get a feeling about a club through the people who work in it, not fans that go on forums.

Comment

Alberti's english is still sh!t. Between Ramage and Magilton he cant understand a thing lol.

Mind you, it's better than some of our English players English. I spent 10 minutes explaining what "albeit" meant to a member of the first team squad a few weeks ago
                    Running the London Marathon for the Down's Syndrome Association....

Visit my charity page here

Comment

I doubt fan perception has much, if any, impact on players signings. Let's face it, this site is the busiest QPR site and has a solid contributing membership of what 150 loyal regulars at the most. Sure, probably has thousands of unique registrations but what proportion of those post regularly (say over 50 posts per month?)

Us internet users are a tiny fraction of the clubs support base. The vast majority of supporters couldn't give a flying one about forums. They still use the pub. Sure - decent avenue to gauge opinion, as you say Pete, but by no means the only gauge that should be used due to the truly unrepresentative sample size. Us internet users whine long and loud and tend to think we're far more important and representative than we actually are.

Any player or club taking too much notice of t'internet need their heads screwing back on the right way round.

Comment

Originally posted by Dazzer1977 View Post
                        Yeah you're so right there...

Parejo - Spoke excellent English. His mother and father were really nice people too who followed the club everywhere, home and away.

Alberti - Speaks clear English

Taarbat - Speaks perfect English

Lopez - Speaks perfect English

Ledesma - Struggled with the language and managed to speak broken English

Branstons Pickle - Haven't got a clue!

Not in a million years. Pidgin at best

Comment

Working...
                        X