Just Back on the Island...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Back on the Island...

Obviously we weren't faced with the best opposition in the world today, but we could only beat what was put in front of us and it was a very promising display.

Much has been said about the appointment of Magilton, and as I have mentioned before - he certainly wouldn't have been my choice. But I (think most QPR fan's have same attitude) have decided to give him my backing and see where it takes us. He said he would have us playing football the proper way, and if today is anything to go by - he has clearly been true to his word.

As the teams were read out, there were a couple of surprise inclusions. With the recent sale of Delaney, I was keeping a close eye on Borrowdale at left back. Romone Rose was also starting in an unfamiliar role at right back. The player that got the largest cheer over the tannoy was Akos Buzsaky, and while it was great to see him back out there... it was a bitter sweet moment as he was pushed out on the left wing.

Another player I was keeping a close eye on was David Connolly who partnered Helguson up front.

I have to say, for the opening few minutes I was very impressed with Aldershot. They weren't lumping the ball up field, and they really were playing some excellent football. I was keen to check up on how Waddock had them playing, and I can now see why he has made such a name for himself there.

While we were knocking the ball round quite sweetly ourselves, the first chance came our way. Buzsaky picked the ball up on the left hand side and darted towards goal. As he flicked the ball through to Connolly, he in turn teed up Helguson who saw a stinging left footed strike smash off the crossbar. The resulting scrap saw us rewarded with a corner.

As the cross came in, it was headed clear by one of the Aldershot defenders. As the ball bobbled towards the edge of the box, Connolly received possession, and curled a marvelous shot just wide of the left hand post. The goalkeeper stood rooted to his spot, and he can count himself unlucky not to have scored on this occasion.

Next up it was Aldershot to have an attempt at goal. Rose who was filling in at right back attempted to win a 50/50 ball, but was adjudged to have fouled the opposing player (harsh in my eyes). As they found themselves with a free kick right on the edge of the box, the player drilled a shot through the wall, but it was well held by Cerny.

Chants of "Championship? You're having a laugh!" was the noise coming from the home supporters, and as if in reply Buzsaky provided us with one of those moments of just pure brilliance. Alberti (who had impressed me with some excellent pin point long range passes) drove a long ball across field to Buzsaky... Stopping and controlling the ball dead with one touch he advanced towards the opposition defence. As he feinted both left and right, the defender stood off and stood off him... Then Buzsaky just touched the ball right and sent a pearl of a shot into the top right hand corner. There was just nothing Aldershot (or most defences for that matter) could do about it, just a moment of exquisite football.

"Championship, you're having a laugh?!" Quite...

With the traveling Ranger's supporter's singing his name, he almost wanted to rubber stamp his superiority further, and it was indeed him who was involved in the second goal. Having picked the ball up on the left hand side of midfield, this time he got to the byline and squared to Helguson - who made no mistake and tucked the ball into the bottom corner. 2-0.

As I stood on the terrace drooling over the brilliance of Buzsaky, he found himself in exactly the same position a matter of minutes later. This time his cross come shot dribbled across the goalmouth. As the Aldershot defenders nervously scrambled to clear the ball to safety, it fell to Routledge at a tight angle and he sent a powerful shot straight into the side netting.

At this stage, the traveling QPR fan's just did a chorus of applause. It was superb football, and we wanted more of the same. I actually looked over at Magilton at this stage, and following his comments about the passion of QPR fan's, he was actually looking over in our direction. The heavily boozed up guy next to me clocked him looking, and started a chant of "Jimmy give us a wave" to which he happily obliged.

There was one scare towards the end of the half. As Aldershot got a cross into the box, Connolly managed to head it clear. But as the ball came back into the box, it took a deflection off of Fitz Hall and changed path. Cerny somehow managed to adjust his footing and somehow tipped the ball round the post for a corner.

As the referee blew time on the first half, the general feeling was pretty positive. I personally was delighted with the performance (especially considering it was our first game of the season), we did look very sharp.

The second half saw a host of changes. With the likes of Blackstock, Agyemang, Vine, Ephraim, Balanta, Leigertwood, Vine, Ramage and Ostler all entering the frey.

Shortly into the second half we were 3 goals up. Leigertwood picked up the ball in the middle of the park, and flighted a terrific pass right over the defence. Agyemang was onto it like a flash, and his blistering pace was just something the helpless Aldershot player's could again do nothing about. As he raced through on goal, he was left with just the goalkeeper to beat, and he cheekily prodded it over his head to put us three goals to the good.

The smile's not only on the player's faces, but also the supporter's told a story of it's own... and it was clear they were all enjoying themselves out there.

Next up it was Blackstock who was in on the act. Ainsworth, who had been applauded near on every touch he had during the second half picked the ball up on the right hand side of the field. As he hogged the touchline in typical Ainsworth fashion, he smashed the ball into the box. Blackstock was fortunate in as much as he actually missed with his first attempt, but luckily the ball rebounded off a defender - and he made no mistake with his second attempt, as he tumbled past the defender and prodded the ball past the keeper into the back of the net.

At 4-0 the game was won, and it was from here that it was exhibition football all around. Balanta, who was being played in an unorthodox centre midfield position was having a field day, and some of his control and strength on the ball showed an awful lot of promise of what is to come next season.

One other moment I thought worth mentioning was that of fan's favourite Gareth Ainsworth. After charging down the right hand side, a defender came clattering into him with studs right up in the air. As he send Ainsworth crashing to the ground, he (the Aldershot defender that is) crumbled into the floor. Ainsworth was straight back up on his feet - as you would expect. He humorously patted the defender on the head, and shrugged his shoulders as he walked off. "Gareth give us a wave" was the chant from the QPR fan's, and he turned and gave us a pluck of the guitar sign and clapped us.

The final moment of note came when Aldershot were awarded a penalty. I believe it was Gorkss who mis-timed his challenge. As the Aldershot fan's suddenly found their voices, they saw the resulting penalty saved by Cerny and blasted clear by Ramage. Utter silence from them followed… oh how I have missed this!

As the referee blew the full time , there was a fair cheer from the QPR fans and it was job done.

It’s hard to pick out a man of the match, when we have used on near 20 players!!

But I have just picked out a performances I felt worthy of a mention.

Borrowdale – Hmmm. I know his loan spell at Brighton wasn’t a roaring success, and if this performance was anything to go by… I can’t say his QPR spell is going to be all that memorable either (not for the right reason’s anyway). In truth, when in possession he doesn’t actually look too bad. But his marking and position sense leaves a lot to be desired. He was twisted inside out on more than one occasion, and this against League Two opposition. Worrying.

Rose – Wasn’t too sure about him playing at right back, but I actually thought he did a pretty good job. His lightening quick pace did bail him out on a couple of occasions, but coming forward with the ball… he does look like he will cause problems. I would prefer to see him played on the right hand side of midfield personally, but he would definitely have done himself no harm with today’s game. Brimming with enthusiasm and desire, I thought he was impressive.

Alberti – Prior to this game, I thought he might be the player that would struggle this season. But he really impressed me with his first half performance today. He really did get himself stuck in, and as mentioned above… some of his passing was superb. I view him more as a winger, but he really did look comfortable in the middle of the pitch as well. I hope he can carry on in this vein, he had a cracking game.

Buzsaky – Just superb. When people talk about the lack of creativity/goals last season, you do wonder how different it could have been had Buzsaky been fit. I hope Magilton could see today that his position should be in the middle of the pitch, and not out wide though! Still, he had a marvellous game and treated us to a superb goal.
    Connolly – He is a very different player to what I was expecting. I hate to use the term that he ‘put his body on the line’ as I think it would be a little bit of an overstatement. But it was clear he was trying to impress, and really did put himself about. He does have a nice touch on him, and it’s just a shame he didn’t get a chance at goal. He looked like he can hold the ball up as well. Definitely worth a closer look in my opinion.

Oastler – I think we might have picked up a gem here. He was badly caught out once in the second half, but that kind of mistake is something he will have learned from. He has all the makings of a good defender though, strong, athletic, read the game well and good in the air. There was a spell when he made about 3 sliding challenges in the space of around 1 minute… you could hear people saying “Oooh who is that?” Made me laugh, but he did look the part.

Balanta – He was possibly my man of the match alongside Buzsaky. He is clearly highly rated, and today he showed just how good he is. Like a couple of other players, I did question why he was being played where he was. I definitely didn’t think he was a centre midfielder. But he just oozed class. He tracked back and won back possession a fair amount of times, but when on the ball he was just something else. His vision was unparalleled and he is surprisingly very strong as well. It could be a BIG season for him next year if this game is anything to go by.

Ainsworth – Sad to say he is no longer the ‘Wild Thing’ he was once was. He still has a great burst of pace considering his age, but his stamina is almost non-existent. The sad thing is that he put some great crosses into the box, but I just fear he won’t cut it at Championship level anymore… and I think he may possibly know it as well. I fear that his time left at QPR is limited, especially now that he wants to only be considered as a player from now on. I hope that Magilton may see his popularity among supporter’s and offer him a position as coach/reserve manager etc. There is a value to having him involved with QPR, but I guess that is out of our hands. Gave every bit of effort he had left in him today though, and was given a marvellous reception by the fans.

Overall though, today has really left me excited for the start of the season. The talk of player’s not being motivated has now gone out of the window. They all look keen to impress Magilton, and I’m sure he has learned a lot about them from today’s game… I’m glad a fair amount of fan’s were there to witness it.

Onward’s and Upwards!

Thanks for reading.

SM

great report SM many thanks!!!

Comment

Thanks for the report, SM. A good read. Hope Magilton doesnt take too long in figuring out players' best positions i.e. Buzz, Balanta, Rose etc

Comment

Cheers Pyrford Ranger

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley76 View Post
          Thanks for the report, SM. A good read. Hope Magilton doesnt take too long in figuring out players' best positions i.e. Buzz, Balanta, Rose etc
          Yeah hopefully he will have learned Stanley.

Buzz showed today how important he is to us, surely JM will see he is best in the centre of midfield. Suppose thats what these games are for.. so let's hope he see's what we see.

U R'ss!

Comment

As usual SM, another excellent report. Have you ever considered becoming a sports writer.
            Opinions are like A******s, everyone has one, but nobody wants to see the other guy's.
            -----------------------------------------------------------------
            https://twitter.com/#!/QPRBOB

Comment

Originally posted by QPRbob View Post
              As usual SM, another excellent report. Have you ever considered becoming a sports writer.
              Evening Bob, hope you are well mate. Shame we won't catch up at Saint's this season eh?

I would love to do that for a living, I don't think I have it in me to become a sports writer though :(

Comment

Great report again-Thanks
                Now, Then, Forever
                [CENTER]QPR-Football League CHAMPIONS

Comment

Hi SM
                  Thanks I'm very well, hope you are too.
                  By the reports you read on the sports pages, you're head and shoulders above most.
                  Yes it's a shame about the Saints, our easiest away game for travel. Hope to go to the Blackpool game, finances permitting. Will PM you.
                  Opinions are like A******s, everyone has one, but nobody wants to see the other guy's.

Comment

Originally posted by qprjames View Post
                    Great report again-Thanks
                    Cheers for comment James

Comment

Originally posted by QPRbob View Post
                      Hi SM
                      Thanks I'm very well, hope you are too.
                      By the reports you read on the sports pages, you're head and shoulders above most.
                      Yes it's a shame about the Saints, our easiest away game for travel. Hope to go to the Blackpool game, finances permitting. Will PM you.
                      Glad to hear.

Thankyou very much mate, truly it means alot that you view them that highly

Yeah it's typical they went down isn't it?! LOL!

Definitely, speak soon.

Comment

It would of been only for one more season though, we're going up.
                        U R'sssssssss

Comment

Originally posted by SM1882 View Post
                          Glad to hear.

Thankyou very much mate, truly it means alot that you view them that highly

Yeah it's typical they went down isn't it?! LOL!

Definitely, speak soon.
                          Would of been for only one season though, we're going up.
                          U R'sssssssss

Comment

Great report mate, reading that really makes me look forward to next Season!!

:greedy:

Comment

Crap report.

Zero mention of beer or hotdogs
                              Running the London Marathon for the Down's Syndrome Association....

Visit my charity page here

Comment

Working...
                              X