Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Once family Club, Where Are We Heading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Once family Club, Where Are We Heading?

I do keep reading this club has been traditionally a family club, in many respects thats true, but wouldn't have Arsenal said that 20 years ago or Fulham 15 years ago?

Is it more the football culture changing and the main problem for this in my eyes is SKY. If we go back 25 years, most teams played football on a level footing. Various teams could win titles or FA Cup finals, but since then branding of football has become a global business, the elite 4 have got stronger, whilst everyone else is trying to catch-up.

I suspect this summer we will see an ever increasing clubs go to the wall and suffer loss of points in the summer, going into administration. In many respects we are fortunate, we have serious heavyweight backers, but on the downside it feels like the club is being taken away from us bit by bit. To progress in today's world of football, you need to spend to go through the leagues and in return with a comparatively small club like ours, to some degree do we not have to foot the bill? The family of this club are actually paying for any success this club might have in the future.

In my mind its catch22 situation. I would happily watch Rangers play anyone in any of the four leagues and many would feel the same way. The reality is, you only have to look back at this season. We played Villa and manchester United away in Coca Cola Cup. How many tickets did we sell for each of those away games? We argued about the prices about Man Utd, but in reality did it stop anyone from going?

The big unfortunate thing is that the club know, that when/if we get promoted, flocks of supporters will arrive on the scene. Those supporters maybe selective now, but its inevitable fans will be found. Look at clubs like Reading, Birmingham, Wigan, Watford and Charlton. In recent years they have played in the premiership and crowds went up significantly, back in the championship they have dropped

Is that right? Of course its not but in my mind its a straight choice. We can play a lower standard of football and all be happy, paying smaller amounts of money each week , but the power of the media and the premiership in general means in our hearts as fans we want to be reaching the very top, even dreaming of playing and beating teams like Arsenal and Manchester United. Admittedly, this season has been a anti-climax, but the first signs of this takeover, we were all swept aside with anticipation that we could be playing football at the highest level and pitching our wits against the best. You ask any fan, what has been the biggest disappointment this season. The over-riding thing will be that we never made the play-offs or got automatic promotion, I maintain that if were top now, we would not batter an eyelid being asked to pay extra next season on both the early bird or having to pay say 15-20% more.

Does that make what the club are doing right? No, but it is a necessary evil for progression. We have an average fan base of 13,000 who regularly pitch up to games, but any marketing person would know the fans are out there and waiting to join the fun, when this club eventually gets promoted. Success on the pitch is the over-riding factor to what fans of this club want to see, just many see it through different forms of media at the moment as opposed to watching the games live. Football is a business, its not recreation anymore, for everyone refusing to pay premiership prices now, another one is waiting at the door.

In 3-4 years time, I'm guessing we will have built extension or moved ground. Will we know the person sitting next to us? Probably not, but football is no longer about a family anymore, its a business pure and simple.
    ALL BEST BANTER AND ALL THE LATEST FROM QPR.
    THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

Agree with just about everything you said, mate. Did you write it yourself?? If so, perhaps along with our football improving, so will the quality of your posts (and your rumours!)

Comment

Largely agree with that, it is a business. Its v easy to grow romantic about the days when we were skint but I doubt many of us wd really enjoy it - I certainly wouldn't.

BUT a football club is also part of a community - and owners that forget that are cruising for a fall during the hard times.

I'd also like to know if anyone has done a study working out "if we reduced prices to x, wd this increase attendances to y and therefore would overall revenue be more or less?"

Comment

I just took my time writing it;D;D

Most of the time, I just repsond quickly not making much sense !!
        THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

Comment

When I asked Bradford City that same question back in the summer, they told me it worked for them and they same problems as QPR have today, lots of empty seats so they asked the fan base 'What if they reduced the tickets, would the fans buy then?'.

I would like to know more because it works for them but how do we know it will work for QPR?

I did convince them about Zesh.

Comment

Sensible and thought-provoking post,Pete.

Sadly,I think you are right.

Comment

Hmmm....

League Champions in the 15 years pre Sky

Liverpool
              Liverpool
              Aston Villa
              Liverpool
              Liverpool
              Liverpool
              Everton
              Liverpool
              Everton
              Liverpool
              Arsenal
              Liverpool
              Arsenal
              Leeds

League Champs since Sky

Manchester Utd
              Manchester Utd
              Blackburn
              Manchester Utd
              Manchester Utd
              Arsenal
              Manchester Utd
              Manchester Utd
              Manchester Utd
              Arsenal
              Manchester Utd
              Arsenal
              Chelsea
              Chelsea
              Manchester Utd
              Manchester Utd

FA Cup Winners 15 years pre Sky

Manchester Utd
              West Ham Utd
              Tottenham Hotspur
              Tottenham Hotspur
              Manchester United
              Everton
              Manchester United
              Liverpool
              Coventry City
              Wimbledon
              Liverpool
              Manchester United
              Tottenham Hotspur
              Liverpool

Since Sky

Arsenal
              Manchester United
              Everton
              Manchester United
              Chelsea
              Arsenal
              Manchester United
              Chelsea
              Liverpool
              Arsenal
              Arsenal
              Manchester United
              Arsenal
              Liverpool
              Chelsea
              Portsmouth

Can't see much difference myself. Trophy's dominated by the same 7 or 8 clubs. As it was and as it will ever be. I don't think there's ever been a level footing. Smaller clubs may have reached finals or 2nd or third places in the league but the big guns win. Everytime

Comment

Originally posted by Nodge70 View Post
                Hmmm....

League Champions in the 15 years pre Sky

Liverpool
                Liverpool
                Aston Villa
                Liverpool
                Liverpool
                Liverpool
                Everton
                Liverpool
                Everton
                Liverpool
                Arsenal
                Liverpool
                Arsenal
                Leeds

League Champs since Sky

Manchester Utd
                Manchester Utd
                Blackburn
                Manchester Utd
                Manchester Utd
                Arsenal
                Manchester Utd
                Manchester Utd
                Manchester Utd
                Arsenal
                Manchester Utd
                Arsenal
                Chelsea
                Chelsea
                Manchester Utd
                Manchester Utd

FA Cup Winners 15 years pre Sky

Manchester Utd
                West Ham Utd
                Tottenham Hotspur
                Tottenham Hotspur
                Manchester United
                Everton
                Manchester United
                Liverpool
                Coventry City
                Wimbledon
                Liverpool
                Manchester United
                Tottenham Hotspur
                Liverpool

Since Sky

Arsenal
                Manchester United
                Everton
                Manchester United
                Chelsea
                Arsenal
                Manchester United
                Chelsea
                Liverpool
                Arsenal
                Arsenal
                Manchester United
                Arsenal
                Liverpool
                Chelsea
                Portsmouth

Can't see much difference myself. Trophy's dominated by the same 7 or 8 clubs. As it was and as it will ever be. I don't think there's ever been a level footing. Smaller clubs may have reached finals or 2nd or third places in the league but the big guns win. Everytime
                Correct!!!
                They always have and always will.
                I might not agree with what you say,
                but i will defend your right to say it.

Comment

Originally posted by stainrodisalegend View Post
                  Largely agree with that, it is a business. Its v easy to grow romantic about the days when we were skint but I doubt many of us wd really enjoy it - I certainly wouldn't.

BUT a football club is also part of a community - and owners that forget that are cruising for a fall during the hard times.

I'd also like to know if anyone has done a study working out "if we reduced prices to x, wd this increase attendances to y and therefore would overall revenue be more or less?"
                  13000 @ £30......£390,000 in matchday tickets. to break even at £25....
                  15600 @£25.......£390,000 in matchday tickets. there would also be extra revenue through programmes, food and drink and also merchandise in the club shop.

Comment

Nodge70, alot of difference.

Too much Tottenham before

Seriously, the 4 year plan must be to get into the premiership and that means bringing in new fans.

Comment

i dont see us ever becomming a major force.............i predict flavio /bernie will walk away before the 'five year plan' bears fruition!
                      you know nothing john snow!!!!

Comment

Quote from qblock.....
                        In my mind its catch22 situation. I would happily watch Rangers play anyone in any of the four leagues and many would feel the same way. The reality is, you only have to look back at this season. We played Villa and manchester United away in Coca Cola Cup. How many tickets did we sell for each of those away games? We argued about the prices about Man Utd, but in reality did it stop anyone from going?

I to would watch qpr in any league. To address the Villa and Man U statement, firstly tickets for Villa were cheap, so not really a surprise that many went, and although we took many fans to Man U @£40, it was a one off.

Comment

pete, you do mention NEW FANS WAITING often, and the club believe this crap too.

WHERE ARE THEY? on what is this based, this is why i feel they don't care if they alienate some, cos they feel there's many 1000s waiting to come!

arsenal,lpool and manure ALWAYS TOPPED the average support lists...
                          only chelsea now have bought their way to the top...
                          but money don't buy success, LOOK AT NEWCASTLE...

english footy is as predictable as scottish football theses days...celtic/rangers domination , boring.
                          yet we have lpool dominating the 70s and 80s and manure the 90s and 00s
                          boring.

tv money changed the game and agents!

football is in danger of killing itself.

Comment

Originally posted by themodfather View Post
                            pete, you do mention NEW FANS WAITING often, and the club believe this crap too.

WHERE ARE THEY? on what is this based, this is why i feel they don't care if they alienate some, cos they feel there's many 1000s waiting to come!

arsenal,lpool and manure ALWAYS TOPPED the average support lists...
                            only chelsea now have bought their way to the top...
                            but money don't buy success, LOOK AT NEWCASTLE...

english footy is as predictable as scottish football theses days...celtic/rangers domination , boring.
                            yet we have lpool dominating the 70s and 80s and manure the 90s and 00s
                            boring.

tv money changed the game and agents!

football is in danger of killing itself.
                            The successful clubs always attract the casual supporter.Look at how many fans Chelsea have accrued since they became successful in the 90's.Before that they only had their hardcore.And London has a large amount of clubs in a small area so the amount of supporters willing to follow a club week in week out is spread out a**** quite a few clubs.

One of the main reasons Newcastle has a big following.Not much choice up that way.

Comment

Even if we get promoted we will only get near 20,000 people watching us, with or without a new stadium. Why? Because we have barely averaged a decent crowd since the late 60's and mid-to late 70's.

2008/09 14,029 - so far
                              2007/08 13,958
                              2006/07 12,936
                              2005/06 13,440
                              2004/05 16,055
                              2003/04 14,784 Promotion season to 2nd Division
                              2002/03 13,206
                              2001/02 11,749
                              2000/01 12,013 Relegation season to 3rd Division
                              1999/00 12,591
                              1998/99 11,779
                              1997/98 13,083
                              1996/97 12,554
                              1995/96 15,672 Relegation season to 2nd Division
                              1994/95 14,621
                              1993/94 14,116
                              1992/93 15,002
                              1991/92 13,597
                              1990/91 13,524
                              1989/90 13,087
                              1988/89 12,355
                              1987/88 13,268
                              1986/87 11,754
                              1985/86 12,665
                              1984/85 14,000
                              1983/84 15,370
                              1982/83 12,807 Promotion season to 1st Division
                              1981/82 12,574
                              1980/81 10,936
                              1979/80 14,087
                              1978/79 16,287 Relegation season to 2nd Division
                              1977/78 19,941
                              1976/77 21,062
                              1975/76 23,850 Runners-up 1st Division
                              1974/75 20,394
                              1973/74 22,867
                              1972/73 14,715 Promotion season to 1st Division
                              1971/72 14,367
                              1970/71 13,069
                              1969/70 17,525
                              1968/69 21,579 Relegation season to 2nd Division
                              1967/68 18,419 Promotion season to 1st Division
                              1966/67 13,157 Promotion season to 2nd Division
                              Last edited by TheBlackMafia; 29-03-2009, 02:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X