Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pros and cons of playing a decent side in preseason friendlies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pros and cons of playing a decent side in preseason friendlies?

I can think of the pros, but can someone enlighten me as to the cons. So far only the board seems to know.

lack of winning mentality.

Comment

maybe its down to hopefully winning a few, get the confidence going and start the season with a win.

Must admit, still waiting for that glamour tie, which at the moment seems to be Aldershot away:what:
      ALL BEST BANTER AND ALL THE LATEST FROM QPR.
      THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

Comment

Most go on overseas tours or get into pre-season tornaments. Those available want to play away - therefore would want to come to LR - this means the club have to shell out for Policing as well as stewarding and it costs a lot of cash.
        #standuptocancer
        #inyourfacecancer

Comment

Can someone tell me the dates and kick off times for our friendlys that we have currently arranged!!?
          Cant believe it, ive been PWOPER MUGGED ORF...

Comment

isnt it a bad thing to play too many "weaker" sides? Its good for fitness, and confidence, but cant it make the team over confident as we are playing teams that wont match the level of the championship?

Comment

Think its very hard to get Prem teams in as they are usually involved with these four team tournaments. Or they're playing in other parts of the world. I don't like the idea of playing other championship sides, save that for the real thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Dando View Post
                isnt it a bad thing to play too many "weaker" sides? Its good for fitness, and confidence, but cant it make the team over confident as we are playing teams that wont match the level of the championship?
                I would have to query the mind set of a ccc club who would carried away with maybe scoring a few goals against the likes of Aldershot etc..
                Wouldn't think the players or management at QPR would start the league season over confident on the strength of pre season friendlies vs lower league sides...... I know i certainly won't as an R's supporter.

Friendlies are for fitness, putting individual and team roles into practice etc. They are by no means a proper test due to the number of players and subs used by both teams. It would be nigh on impossible to to replicate the pace, power and pressure of a ccc game anyway.

Comment

fair point, however what im saying is that playing weaker sides dont really test you enough, and the weaknesses in your team are not so clear. Playing a better side would highlight weak areas of the team that need improving

Comment

Originally posted by Dando View Post
                    fair point, however what im saying is that playing weaker sides dont really test you enough, and the weaknesses in your team are not so clear. Playing a better side would highlight weak areas of the team that need improving
                    That's just it though, pre-season is to ease your players into the test ahead, you don't want strong tests straight away, players are never fully fit until a month or so into the season.

Comment

Originally posted by winalotto View Post
                      That's just it though, pre-season is to ease your players into the test ahead, you don't want strong tests straight away, players are never fully fit until a month or so into the season.

Partly true, but they still need to face a few tougher tests, otherwise they will not have really pushed themselves far enough to deal with the much more exertive CCC games.

I don't think thy should play games against CCC sides, but they could arrange some games aginst Prem sides, or at least some sides from the top 2 divsions in France, Germany, Holland etc.

Easy games may help with confidence if they win, although it could lead to complacency. Also, what happens to their confidence if they lose against the 'might' of Aldershot, Oxford, Wycombe and Forest Green?

Comment

Mainly want to get there touch going start to get the sharpness and play out team plans, very hard to get prem teams in at the end because there nearly all invited abroad, i'm sure we'll have at least one game just before the big KO that will be a test.

Comment

Working...
                        X