Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pretty depressing read re our youth set up...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pretty depressing read re our youth set up...

Rangers' scouting net is full of holes
    nwl.sport@archant.co.uk
    27 May 2009

Former Mill Hill Rangers youngster Josh Payne, now with West Ham
    By Ben Kosky

QPR are missing out on young talent right under their noses, according to the manager of one of north-west London's most successful boys' teams.

Vince Purdue, a Rangers fan who manages Mill Hill Rangers in the Harrow Youth League, has helped to develop players now making their mark with the likes of Tottenham and West Ham.

Spurs winger John Bostock spent a summer playing for Purdue's team, while midfielder Josh Payne originally joined the club as a nine-year-old and recently made his Premier League debut for the Hammers.

Payne, now 18, spent time on the books at Crystal Palace, Southampton and Portsmouth before West Ham offered him an apprenticeship - but the Rs could have snapped him up first.

"I offered Josh to QPR and had discussions with [sporting director] Gianni Paladini about him, but they only wanted to give him a six-week trial," said Purdue.

"He's a brilliant player and I'm surprised he hasn't been called up yet for an England side. I'm very happy that Mill Hill Rangers are producing good players, but gutted that QPR ignored him.

"I haven't seen one QPR scout at an under-15 game, even though we've won the league for the fourth time in five years, plus the county cup and league cup.

"There are scouts from Luton Town, Millwall, Norwich City - but not QPR, even though we're QPR-mad. Everyone at the club is, that's why we're called Rangers."

Three other graduates of Mill Hill Rangers - Michael Kalou, Loni Manie and Matt Warner - are currently in the youth team at Watford, while a fourth, goalkeeper Joe Day, made his first-team debut for Rushden & Diamonds last season.

But QPR have taken on one of Purdue's players - right-winger Bruno Andre from Colindale, who has been offered a four-year scholarship at Loftus Road.

By contrast, Payne signed a one-year scholarship with West Ham and is now halfway through a two-year pro deal - and Purdue believes the Rs should be offering similar terms to 15-year-old Andre.

"QPR obviously rate him and he loves it down there as well - he gets the train over to Harlington, while the boys at Watford get picked up by cab!" added Purdue.

"But QPR are trying to sort out a deal before agents get involved, which I'm sure they will when Bruno turns 16 in October, and I don't think they want anyone else to see him.

"They're trying to nick the kid for peanuts and I think he's worth more than that. I think QPR need an overhaul of their youth set-up - when I started watching them there were kids coming through all the time, now that just isn't happening
    "Originally Posted by qblockpete
    QPR will finish at least in the Play offs
    Swansea will finish in bottom 6
    Middlesboro will finish champions"

no agents fees maybe??

very sad..we could be missing out on the next sir les or wegerle etc...??

Comment

Depressing.

Comment

absolutely awful, Our owners are really missing a trick by not creating a world class academy

Comment

Before we all start digging out the board I think some of these comments predate Flav & Co...

Further more

'But QPR have taken on one of Purdue's players - right-winger Bruno Andre from Colindale, who has been offered a four-year scholarship at Loftus Road.'

So we have watched them and taken one player who was good enough to offer a 4 year scholarship to.

Didn't our youth side just reach a cup final against Grimsby as well, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Typical negativity trying to drag this club down....what about Balanta, Rose & German!

I'm sure more can be done with the scouting side of things but my argument is our youth set up is now looking a lot healthier than any point in the post decade.

Comment

We cant be everywhere on the flip side.

We do have some decent youth team prospects was very impressed with Elvis the keeper that played in the final of
            the Youth Team Cup.....we cant be getting it that wrong!!!

However I doubt anyone would argue that we need to be investing more funds into our youth development.
            http://www.facebook.com/pages/1882QP...5398272?ref=ts

Comment

Originally posted by W12_Ranger View Post
              Before we all start digging out the board I think some of these comments predate Flav & Co...

Further more

'But QPR have taken on one of Purdue's players - right-winger Bruno Andre from Colindale, who has been offered a four-year scholarship at Loftus Road.'

So we have watched them and taken one player who was good enough to offer a 4 year scholarship to.

Didn't our youth side just reach a cup final against Grimsby as well, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Typical negativity trying to drag this club down....what about Balanta, Rose & German!

I'm sure more can be done with the scouting side of things but my argument is our youth set up is now looking a lot healthier than any point in the post decade.
              Hold on a second - what standard of youth cup final?

Balanta Rose & German - a product of the current set up or Joe Gallen?

Talk to anyone who has kids in the youth set up and ask them what their opinion is..
              "Originally Posted by qblockpete
              QPR will finish at least in the Play offs
              Swansea will finish in bottom 6
              Middlesboro will finish champions"

Comment

Originally posted by Funky View Post
                We cant be everywhere on the flip side.

We do have some decent youth team prospects was very impressed with Elvis the keeper that played in the final of
                the Youth Team Cup.....we cant be getting it that wrong!!!

However I doubt anyone would argue that we need to be investing more funds into our youth development.
                we didn't spot him, Gorkks suggested him i thought, and it was certainly not the FA youth cup final as that was between Liv and ####

Comment

Originally posted by writtler View Post
                  Hold on a second - what standard of youth cup final?

Balanta Rose & German - a product of the current set up or Joe Gallen?

Talk to anyone who has kids in the youth set up and ask them what their opinion is..
                  Same thing he worked for QPR at the time.

I agree the youth team needs investment which is why at the moment we are competing with the like of Brighton and Grimsby.

I still think the lads deserve a bit of credit for getting to the final.

I think both Joe Gallen and Steve Brown won league titles with our youngsters.

Is Steve Gallen still involved with the club?
                  http://www.facebook.com/pages/1882QP...5398272?ref=ts

Comment

I know Vince - heart in the right place - very supportive of his boys and the club and like us wants the best for both his teams.

Comment

Should never have sacked my mate John back in 2005

Comment

My fellow Rs.. I've banged on about this for what seems like an eternity, watching academy football as i do i see just how far behind we are. I have posted on many boards how vital it is we reinstate our academy and bring in new and better coaches and scouts, only then will we be able to compete and to bring through players who can compete and play for the Rs.

Comment

I use to sit with Vince and he has been banging on about this for years so not really a stick to be beating the current set-up with though of course they should be taking far more interest in local youth teams then happened before.

Comment

In Essex Chelsea are into all the schools doing links with youth teams etc.WestHam are taking a pounding.Spuds do a fair bit but also the Obv Southend/Col/Os but also Ipswich and Cambs are quite big and Norwich scouts are very active.
                            Chelmsford City the home of Radio

Comment

Originally posted by Gtleighsr3 View Post
                              In Essex Chelsea are into all the schools doing links with youth teams etc.WestHam are taking a pounding.Spuds do a fair bit but also the Obv Southend/Col/Os but also Ipswich and Cambs are quite big and Norwich scouts are very active.

chel**** have no place here fella

Comment

Working...
                              X