Remember the death of the student at Earls Court

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remember the death of the student at Earls Court

Terrible tragedy and I recall having the British Transport Police on my case at the time because I posted a message on the old LSA site about something I was told of the incident!

London Informer

RSS News for you | What's this?
    Death of design student was a 'tragic accident'
    May 20 2009 By Ellie Dyer

'INAPPROPRIATE behaviour' from Queen's Park Rangers youth players on an Earl's Court tube platform led to a tragic accident which left a 25-year-old student dead, an inquest jury has ruled.

Police initially treated the death of Tu Quang Hoang Vu in November 2006 as a murder.

The Kingston University architecture design student was slammed by a Piccadilly line train, after sharing the platform with four young QPR footballers who were on their way home from Hammersmith College.

Witnesses spotted Harry Smart, Kieron St Aime, Ramone Rose and Chris Arthur playing around on the platform.

At one point Mr Smart, then aged 17, stumbled and collided into Mr Vu, sending both young men into the path of a passing train.

Vu, originally from Vietnam, died of multiple injuries. Smart escaped with a fractured skull – which he claims left him with amnesia.

Due to an upgrade of CCTV at the station, the lead-up to the fatal fall lay hidden in a camera blind spot.

British Transport Police spent two years painstakingly creating high-tech images to reconstruct the incident.

But at Westminster Coroner's Court on Monday deputy coroner Shirley Radcliffe ruled that the footage did not answer the 'puzzles' surrounding the death.

She also confirmed that the Crown Prosecution Service would not be pursuing any criminal charges against the boys.

Dr Radcliffe ordered a jury not to consider whether it was an unlawful killing, ruling that they must return an open verdict or one of accidental death.

She said: "I'm sure they are going to have to live with the fact that they have been under suspicion for a long time and have possibly, in some way, contributed to the death of Mr Vu."

The jury spent just 30 minutes deliberating before returning a narrative verdict that 'Mr Vu died, following inappropriate behaviour on the platform, as a result of an accident'.

The young footballers, some of whom were accompanied by their parents, slapped each other's hands and smiled with relief after the verdict was read out.

Dpt Coroner Shirley Radcliffe said: "I would like to extend our condolences to Mr Vu's family. He was a young man whose life was cut short tragically."

Detective Superintendent Ashley Croft, from the BTP, said: "The investigation was limited because of the CCTV blind spot."

Mister Smart's alleged amnesia + the CCTV blind spot = got off easy, I would not have let them off so easy.
    Banning people is no longer my hobby,
    but take a look at my photo blog:

http://kirillqpr.blogspot.com/

How and why did I start supporting QPR in Estonia:
    http://www.wearetherangersboys.com/forum/blog.php?b=852

Comment

i find it absolute crap that a major stn like earls ct had cctv blind spots!!!
      particulary on a platform....
      a defective camera maybe
      if works in progress, cameras are re-located to cover the same area.
      report doesn't mention witnesses, i imagine the driver saw something as he approached, from my ltd knowledge of earls ct , the plats are straight, so good sighting on approach.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirill View Post
        Mister Smart's alleged amnesia + the CCTV blind spot = got off easy, I would not have let them off so easy.
        even though he may have been telling the truth?

Comment

Originally posted by Sam-QPR View Post
          even though he may have been telling the truth?
          How could he have told anything if he had amnesia? :very_sad:

Comment

How could he have told anything if he had amnesia? :very_sad:
            thats what i'm saying maybe he did have amnesia

unless you were there then there is no way of knowing what happend

Comment

thats what i'm saying maybe he did have amnesia

unless you were there then there is no way of knowing what happend
              The lads were horsing around, that is what happened. When you horse around on a platform with a train approaching, an "accident" is just waiting to happen. Maybe not sufficient grounds to try one for murder, but letting one off scot free is hardly justice either IMHO.

Comment

The lads were horsing around, that is what happened. When you horse around on a platform with a train approaching, an "accident" is just waiting to happen. Maybe not sufficient grounds to try one for murder, but letting one off scot free is hardly justice either IMHO.

"But at Westminster Coroner's Court on Monday deputy coroner Shirley Radcliffe ruled that the footage did not answer the 'puzzles' surrounding the death."

that means not enough evidence. would be very harsh to charge someone if the full story is not known

Comment

"But at Westminster Coroner's Court on Monday deputy coroner Shirley Radcliffe ruled that the footage did not answer the 'puzzles' surrounding the death."

that means not enough evidence. would be very harsh to charge someone if the full story is not known
                  Well I guess that Smart fella punished himself already, I am not bloodthirsty. I only wish many reckless young people took some time and made an effort to think about safety in the Tube as a result of this tragic event and modified their behavioural patterns accordingly. In plain language, that something good has come out of this.

Comment

personally

personally i think the verdict was the correct one of course the vietnameas guy lost his life which is a great tradjerdy
                    but im sure the young soccer players are really heartbroken that there behaviour has cost a life
                    i cant see any point in putting them in prison but thats just my opinion

Comment

I had CID at my house because of this too.
                      Running the London Marathon for the Down's Syndrome Association....

Visit my charity page here

Comment

Why Scott ..were you there? ... or driving the train?

Comment

Originally posted by MKPaul View Post
                          Why Scott ..were you there? ... or driving the train?
                          Long story short.

Amnesia my backside. He posted something on his myspace. someone posted that on a website (cant remember which)....turned out it completely contradicted his statement...anyway, i posted it on the dot.org, that crashed. The police had a print out of my posts and i had to sign to say that i had posted it, had copied and pasted it and would swear to that in court...as it was evidence against him that he lied/changed his story.

Got a call from CID, wanted to see me, I said ok..when/where...he said "i'm en route from Camden now..stay at home"

Think a few others got the same treatment - isleworth as he said was one.

The police really really wanted to nail him for manslaughter but were worried I think about the CPS (as is often the case) And like i said - amnesia my backside.
                          Running the London Marathon for the Down's Syndrome Association....

Visit my charity page here

Comment

Originally posted by ScottJones View Post
                            Long story short.

Amnesia my backside. He posted something on his myspace. someone posted that on a website (cant remember which)....turned out it completely contradicted his statement...anyway, i posted it on the dot.org, that crashed. The police had a print out of my posts and i had to sign to say that i had posted it, had copied and pasted it and would swear to that in court...as it was evidence against him that he lied/changed his story.

Got a call from CID, wanted to see me, I said ok..when/where...he said "i'm en route from Camden now..stay at home"

Think a few others got the same treatment - isleworth as he said was one.

The police really really wanted to nail him for manslaughter but were worried I think about the CPS (as is often the case) And like i said - amnesia my backside.

Yes as I posted earlier on this thread I also had the Police contact me so be careful what you post on certain subjects.

Comment

initial rumours where harry lost a leg and had severe head injuries...??

very sad...people forget that tube stns are not a playground, especially near platforms...i see parents all the time letting kids jump on/off benches, runa round, hop on/off trains ( when at platforms) GOD FORBID you say something, they'll jump up and demand your name, report you..etc...
                              then the other side, when there's an accident they want immediate aid,apologies etc...

a person under a train is very messy indeed...i have been involved in one and it still lingers in the mind, even though it was a deliberate act.

Comment

Working...
                              X