Perhaps not Big Jim afterall!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perhaps not Big Jim afterall!!

No British manager has emerged as a clear frontrunner for the QPR job and the door is still open for the potential return of Luigi De Canio.

By Tuesday evening no decision had been made on an appointment despite a number of possible candidates being assessed – most of them British.

With Flavio Briatore now due to fly to Monte Carlo ahead of this weekend’s Monaco Grand Prix, the chances of an appointment being made this week look slim.

Former Watford manager Aidy Boothroyd is the latest man to be considered, but it seems a decision is no nearer and that the chances of a foreign coach – possibly De Canio – being installed are now growing.

De Canio has been in the frame since Paulo Sousa’s future was under scrutiny earlier this year and the Italian has remained a strong contender while others have dropped out of the running.

He looks like failing in his bid to save Lecce, whose relegation from Serie A would increase the chances of De Canio returning to Loftus Road.

Keeping them up would almost certainly lead to the offer of a lucrative contract to stay put. But as things stand, De Canio will be open to offers when the Italian season finishes at the end of this month.

There seemed a real willingness to consider British managers following the termination of Sousa’s contract in April, and perhaps Briatore will still go down that route.

But as more potential managers from these shores fall out of contention, the chances of an overseas coach being brought in increase - although Gareth Ainsworth remains an option.

Claudio Ranieri may be approached following his sacking by Juventus and Antonio Tapia, currently in charge of Spanish side Malaga, has suggested that QPR have been interested in him.

And what price a famous ex-player in the Sousa mould? Paolo Maldini, whose playing career is about to end, would be a jaw-dropping appointment but has apparently indicated he will stay at AC Milan in a coaching capacity.

That’s all speculation. What is for sure is that De Canio has been seriously considered and that none of the other possible contenders have so-far wanted or been able to secure the job.

Briatore has attracted criticism for his running of the club but could claim that De Canio was always the man he wanted to coach the team.

He was his choice following the sacking of John Gregory and left for personal reasons at the end of the 2007-08 season.

That said, De Canio’s brief spell was not without its problems. His future was in doubt just weeks after he was given the job, but improved results in the second half of the season helped to shore up his position.

He was happy working with Briatore and Gianni Paladini, which in itself made him a frontrunner for the job once it became vacant again.

Having managed to correctly call the appointment of the last six Rangers managers, I’m not confident about getting it right this time.

The situation is uncertain, the club don’t seem to be clear about what they want and there is always a chance that someone could be brought in by Briatore completely out of the blue.

Sousa, for example, was hired very quickly after Ainsworth lost favour following a defeat at home to Burnley last season.

There is always a chance that a conversation or change of plan could lead to one of the men recently linked with Rangers suddenly being announced as manager, or a new guy will pop up from nowhere.

If that seems like I’m covering my back, it’s because I am. I'm really not sure what will happen.

At one stage this year I would have put money on Darren Ferguson being at QPR next season and a few weeks ago I told friends the next Rangers manager might be Neil Warnock. Wrong on both counts.

But I do now think that Gigi De Canio could well be on his way back. We shall see.

While Rangers wait to fill their vacancy, Jordi Lopez is waiting for his future to be resolved.

Unlike Liam Miller, whose departure was confirmed this week, Lopez has been offered a new contract after impressing while on a short-term deal.

The Lopez situation is a delicate one.

There have been doubts about his fitness, making the offer of a long-term contract a potential risk.

A one-year contract might seem the obvious solution but now the former Uefa Cup winner has arguably proved his fitness he could well attract interest from other clubs offering better terms.

And if he were to sign for one year and impress next season, Rangers would run the risk of losing him on a Bosman free transfer 12 months from now.

One option could be to assume Lopez will remain a free agent for the time being at least, and allow the incoming coach/manager to have a look at him.

Lopez’s agent, former QPR midfielder Alex Bonnot, made it clear when I spoke to him that that wasn’t the player’s preferred option.

Bonnot is hopeful an agreement can be reached soon, although he did stress that other clubs have shown an interest in Lopez.

A canny defensive midfielder is always useful – especially if De Canio's brand of football returns.

But with Lopez assessing his options and Rangers looking to cut their cloth more carefully this season, this one could go either way.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A51723993

Looks like the beeb are taking shots in the dark also..

They should come n post on here.
    Arguing with a scientist is like wrestling a pig in mud... sooner or later you;ll realise you're muddy and he's enjoying it.....

Comment

Originally posted by Cogster View Post
      Looks like the beeb are taking shots in the dark also..

They should come n post on here.

Comment

But De Canio wasn't his first choice though.

That was Guidolin..........

Comment

Why would we offered Lopez just a one year contract he looked as fit a s a fiddle when ever i see him play yet we go and offer Cook, Helguson & Hall longer term deals

The way things are going I'd sooner see the return of De Canio at least he'd bring the feel good factor with him.

Comment

He looks like failing
            Says it all really - the perfect choice then!
            http://twitter.com/#!/superhoops10

Comment

Personally if LDC returned, i would be delighted, assuming he's resolved any personal issues he had before of course.

I can't understand that some fans slate him when he got us playing some of the best football seen for years. Sure there were issue with late goals against, but that can be worked on, plus we have better defenders now.

The fact he managed to get a bunch of strangers (Was it 9 new players that Jan) to play the way they did in such a short space of time was nothing short or remarkable. One of the last games that season before Vine got injured we absolutely tore Stoke apart winning 3-0 but could've been much more. Style of attacking play was raved about on Sky etc... look at them now, comfortable mid table in the prem....

If he came back, had pre season with the squad and started the season level with the rest, i think he would at least reach the playoffs, even with the current squad. After all, the 2nd half of that season we must have been one of the top teams in the form guide, even with loads of late goals against costing us circa 10 points....

Comment

Everyone quotes THAT Stoke Game - but apart from one or two other "above average" performances nothing special & language without doubt an issue. We CAN get better - why take the safe routes again?

Comment

I can name you at least 6-8 games after he settled in
                  ALL BEST BANTER AND ALL THE LATEST FROM QPR.
                  THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

Comment

6-8 games! SAF must be bricking it!

Comment

Originally posted by stainrod10 View Post
                      Everyone quotes THAT Stoke Game - but apart from one or two other "above average" performances nothing special & language without doubt an issue. We CAN get better - why take the safe routes again?
                      I think you are a tad harsh, but each to their own. During that period only West Brom scored more (about 3 more) and we gave a game to anyone. Considering we wer adrift at the bottom when he came in, it was overall well above average, with some standout performances even better.

I agree on the language, and would hope he may have continued his lessons after he left, in case he ever returned to England (not necessarily with us) and it may not be as much of an issue now.

That is another thing to consider... he got them playing well without being able to stress his opinions direct. If he could speak the language well enough now, he would surely have more chance of doing better simply for that reason alone.

Comment

I seem to remember it all falling apart end of last season without Vine .. similar problem to the one we had this year ... so is he any better than sousa .. nothing suggests it will be an improvement unless we spend a bit on a forward and get the injured players fit. or do i need rose coloured specs

Comment

yey my Gigi is back in the mix!! :bad_smile:
                          Under Les Ferdinand:
                          Luke Freeman, top assists in the league: 4million
                          Alex Smithies, great goalie for this club: 3,5million
                          Charlie Austin, 19 Premier League goals: 4million
                          Jack Robinson: Contract ran out, left for free
                          And many more mistakes

LES FERDINAND, IT'S TIME TO GO

Comment

Don't think QPR are looking back to be honest.

Next week could be the week.

Comment

Next week could be the week.
                              Wasn't this week the week last week? You are right - it COULD be. then again.....

Comment

Working...
                              X