Dealing with the Facts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealing with the Facts

Pete, Scott and all the so called ITKs have had varying degrees of success when it comes to knowing what will happen with the club. Whether it being that Routledge has signed or Sousa will be fired. With this in mind it is easy to forget what is fact and what is gossip. Whether someone posts a story from a tabloid or a member posts a rumour from his mate everybody latches on to the possibility. Many have argued that we don't have a manager so why are we trying to sign players. Many are disgruntled at the players we are trying to sign. But what we have to remember is nothing is official till it's on the club website. I love this time of year with all the crazy rumours and it's great to debate but you have to remember that it's all talk.

The ITKs might be telling the truth and what they have been told may or may not become true but can we try and remember the following things:

1) Ramage and Cerny were both signed without a manager
    2) If we have actually enquired for Adebola and Prattley and neither are signing for us then this isn't a bad thing.
    3) If we were to sign Cox, Hooper or Beckford without a manager would you still complain that they were signed before a manager was appointed?
    4) The transfer window doesn't open for weeks so no actual deals can take place so there is a need for patience

It seems people are forgetting that we are in competition with 23 other clubs as well as teams from leagues above and below us to get the best available players. If we had held out till we signed Dowie to see if he wanted Cerny we may have missed out to another club. If we wait until we appoint a new manager and lose out on the signing of say Beckford to a rival club will you be happy? The majority won't and will blame the club for having not signed the player quick enough. We need to make enquiries now so that we can get both the best possibly deal and make agreements before rival clubs do so.

Point 2 is the most important of the 4, if we had been turned down or chosen not to go for good players that will improve our team then this is one thing but the fact we aren't going to sign a Swansea player who struggles to break into the first team and a 34 year old with ridiculous demands is good. It's good whether or not we had a manager because we don't need Prattley and we don't need Adebola taking the mick.

Enjoy the silly season!

Another wonderful post from SPC.

As a poster I give the utmost respect SPC. As always very balanced, I wish I could control my emotions like that ....having said that I like the emotional posts at times

Nice one mate.
    The future's bright...the future is blue and white.
    :grimace:

Comment

Originally posted by sirpiechucker View Post
      Pete, Scott and all the so called ITKs have had varying degrees of success when it comes to knowing what will happen with the club. Whether it being that Routledge has signed or Sousa will be fired. With this in mind it is easy to forget what is fact and what is gossip. Whether someone posts a story from a tabloid or a member posts a rumour from his mate everybody latches on to the possibility. Many have argued that we don't have a manager so why are we trying to sign players. Many are disgruntled at the players we are trying to sign. But what we have to remember is nothing is official till it's on the club website. I love this time of year with all the crazy rumours and it's great to debate but you have to remember that it's all talk.

The ITKs might be telling the truth and what they have been told may or may not become true but can we try and remember the following things:

1) Ramage and Cerny were both signed without a manager
      2) If we have actually enquired for Adebola and Prattley and neither are signing for us then this isn't a bad thing.
      3) If we were to sign Cox, Hooper or Beckford without a manager would you still complain that they were signed before a manager was appointed?
      4) The transfer window doesn't open for weeks so no actual deals can take place so there is a need for patience

It seems people are forgetting that we are in competition with 23 other clubs as well as teams from leagues above and below us to get the best available players. If we had held out till we signed Dowie to see if he wanted Cerny we may have missed out to another club. If we wait until we appoint a new manager and lose out on the signing of say Beckford to a rival club will you be happy? The majority won't and will blame the club for having not signed the player quick enough. We need to make enquiries now so that we can get both the best possibly deal and make agreements before rival clubs do so.

Point 2 is the most important of the 4, if we had been turned down or chosen not to go for good players that will improve our team then this is one thing but the fact we aren't going to sign a Swansea player who struggles to break into the first team and a 34 year old with ridiculous demands is good. It's good whether or not we had a manager because we don't need Prattley and we don't need Adebola taking the mick.

Enjoy the silly season!
      Far too sensible a post for this site

Comment

SPC = legend
        @chrisrobson9

Comment

It's not so much the fact that we're looking at players without a manager in place, but rather the quality (ie.poor quality) of the players rumoured to be of interest to us that is the most worrying aspect.
          Be nice to Minty

Comment

I whole heartedly agree Minty mate, but what SPC does do is put another spin on it which should at least be considered.

I love all the speculation I only wish we had an English style of management and a manager creating the speculation. As you say so far the names mentioned are poor which we interpret as the intentions of the board and in turn...stay with me....means they don't want to push the boat out again, as previous records have shown.
            Okay, it's not been as poor as a few years ago, with freebies left right and centre but considering how close we are to achieving it's disappointing to not see that little bit of what we think would do the job being speculated about.

Anyway, what will be will be and it should be enjoyed as we will be in for a lot of exciting times waiting to hear some news.

Last edited by Neo; 07-05-2009, 07:18 PM. Reason: Spelling....I do my best to get it right :)
            The future's bright...the future is blue and white.
            :grimace:

Comment

Originally posted by Minty View Post
              It's not so much the fact that we're looking at players without a manager in place, but rather the quality (ie.poor quality) of the players rumoured to be of interest to us that is the most worrying aspect.
              I agree. It is disappointing to read that we are enquiring after a player who not only struggles to break into Swansea's side but also plays in a position (central/defensive midfield) that we are relatively strong in (Mahon, Rowlands, Ephraim, Buzsaky and Leigertwood).

Hopefully now the club will look down other avenues and maybe during that time we will have appointed a new manager who will have a say on recruitment.

Things could have been worse and we could have agreed a deal in priniciple for a player who is arguably no better than the players we already have.

Comment

The unrest, Sir Pie, is because it says something about our intent. If we were trying to sign Ronaldo - or to be at least mildly realistic, Marlon Harewood or Jason Scotland - we wouldn't be so disapointed if we were pipped to the post because it wd set a bench mark for the quality we are looking for. So we might, in that scenario, end up with Lita, say. But if we are looking at Adybadbuy, Pratley and a Notts Forest reserve - all gossip, admittedly, we must keep that caveat - it suggests that whoever we do end up with its likely to be bargain basement buys. No prob with that in principle - Buz was only half a million, just because you pay lots for a player doesn't make him any gd - but it does make it v much harder to get gd players, particularly without a good manager - or indeed any manager.

Comment

:surrender:

Comment

very true. Excellent post.

Comment

sirpie,

far too articulate for me !!

Do you want a rumour on the new manager or not?
                      ALL BEST BANTER AND ALL THE LATEST FROM QPR.
                      THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

Comment

I don't want any players signed without the new managers say-so. I don't care if that means we miss out on so-called good players, just as long as the new manager can buy and play who he feels will benefit QPR and will get us promoted.

What is the point of us buying any players if the new man don't rate them, or feel they won't fit into his system/plans?

If we do sign players then it just proves what a **** FB is and who it is who actually has far too much influence - I wonder who I mean!

Comment

Have no problem with that.
                          ALL BEST BANTER AND ALL THE LATEST FROM QPR.
                          THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

Comment

Of course the reality is that we should not even be in the position to be without a manager. You may all think that taking the time to get the right appointment is a necessary evil, but...

1. Ipswich acted swiftly and got their man in before the end of the season so that he can concentrate on the entire down season and pre-season to think about what is needed (believe it or not, PLANS are an essential part of any business).

2. If, as we all strongly suspect, Sousa was under threat from the Ipswich (h) game then surely there was sufficiwent time to collate a list of top contenders, sound our targets and be in a good position to take the club forward?

3. Maybe, because Sousa's dismissal conincided with the beginnings of the Formula 1 season, Rangers are way down the list of Flab's priorities; he has been spending a lot of time annoying all F1 fans and official, so maybe he decided to leave it for a while.

4. Borrowdale is there for ALL to see. The board sign him, the manager doesn't want him. Cerny was signed and, allegedly, only played because Flab / GP told Dowie that he HAD to be first choice.

Whilst I hear what sirpie is saying, the actions of the board are pretty indefensible. There is no need for this delay (unless they have already offered the job to LDC and are waiting for him to be out of contract before appointing him) and, yet again, reeks of unprofessionalism.

Comment

davman/stainrod you both make good points but as I've already said do we actually have proof that we have gone for Adebola? We've read it on this board and seen newspaper stories but do we have any facts?

The only player we know we have definitely gone for is Prattley as the Swansea Chairman has publically stated we have made an approach. Although I don't rate Prattley we may have gone for him because Miller was supposedly expensive and didn't perform and Lopez supposedly wants a massive salary hike. Both by the way, along with SDC are still on the official squad list and may have not left the club although some ITKs have said so.

How about this for an idea: Make an approach for a player (Prattley) which you know will be rebuffed so that a player you want to keep (Lopez) lowers his wage demands?

Comment

Working...
                              X