X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harryboy
    replied
    Originally posted by W6hoops View Post
    Growing up in Markland House Flats, a tower block over looking the westway by Latimer Road station around 1970 to 1977, before that was Methold Road. At This time i never went to Rangers, but as i boy I used to look out of our 9th floor window and see White city stadium lights on and i used to think they were QPR`s! Usually Banger Racing or The Dogs. Used to watch The Big Match and always see QPR on there,most of the other kids at school were R`s too, maybe ther was other teams but don`t recall too well. Our great time of that time were Nationally known and I was always out playing footie with other kids wanting to be the Likes of Bowles/Thomas/Francis/Masson/Givens et al. I`d like to think i done them proud!!

Remember my mum buying peas pudding & saveloys from butchers. Lots of west Indians. Oxford Gardens Borstal (Sorry School!) Going Round to Our Nan`s in Hillfarm Road every saturday and having to watch The Wrestling, Only wanted to see Final Score and The Great ****ie Davis!

Was`nt Presto Supermarket in Shep Bush open around this time too?
    I live in Markland house now, since 92

Leave a comment:

• superhooper
    replied
    I used to play for the Harrow Club. We use to win the Westway Flyover, Lilley Road and Mets 5-a-side leagues pretty much every year for my age group. I remember Reg Clements very well. He was my manager for about 5 years or so. Barry Leech I think was another chap who ran sides (slightly older age groups) and I think it was him who ran the Friday night leagues. Think it was on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday that I use to go. Judo and Canoeing was on Tuesday nights and Archery was on a Thursday. Use to jump in the bus outside the laundrette near Edward Woods Estate. I played in the year above Reg's son Ian, who sadly passed away a couple of year from a rare from cancer I believe (think it was sarcoma). I remember Dennis Palfrey too and I think he now lives in Northolt. He still goes down the Rangers. Use to love the banter against I think it was the Ladbroke Celtic, Boys Brigade and Rugby Club. I also played at Coverdale School under Les Boyle for a few years too. Great memories from those days.

A big problem with this country nowadays is that there isn't many places like the Harrow Club left for kids to get a good grounding and play football in my opinion. It really was a great place.

Leave a comment:

• Stanley
    replied
    Getting into the loft for 50p...my old man parking in the white city car park on match days for next to nothing....the music they played as the team ran out in 75/76, (which amazingly nobody here can remember what it was)...my first ever home game at the age of 8, walking up the SAR steps and seeing the pitch for the first time - being awestruck by it.

Leave a comment:

• Robsondinho
    replied
    Got a scar on my face to remind me of my days in W12...first years of my life were in the Batman Close flats. One day going shop with my mum I was running down the flat stairs and didnt stop at one the balconys, went straight through the glass door onto the balcony. Stitches to close a massive cut on my nose, still got the scar on my nose. Moved to Luton after w12, now MK. All my family grew up in the area so they tell me stories about it.

For those on facebook there is a good group called...'w12 more then a postcode' check it out.

Leave a comment:

• Factamondo
    replied
    the original 'house of pies'............yummie!!!

Leave a comment:

• askewboy
    replied
    liptons,holmes hamburger house,donut diner.shorts of london,duke of sussex,wellington.mailcoach,wimpey in goldhawk road,georges fish and chip shop by the station.

Leave a comment:

• superhoop67
    replied
    Originally posted by factamondo View Post
    last i saw of him the fella was suffering from parkinsons/or alzheimers i think.....how old are you old son???
    Still about , but not in greatest of health

Leave a comment:

• W12_Ranger
    replied
    Originally posted by lymehoop View Post
    did den use to live in Batman Close?, manager of the infamous Batman Rangers, grew up with his son Terry, also can anyone remember when Gilbert O'Sullivan done an episode of his series in the Vic, I was on screen more than Gilbert, right looker I was in my twenties
    Yes thats the same Den, lovely fella.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by w12boy View Post
    Thats really sad Les is a legend and did a lot for me and my football.
    I am 55 and next season will be my 50th
    50 years watching rangers? Nice one w12boy.

Leave a comment:

• lymehoop
    replied
    Originally posted by W12_Ranger View Post
    I use to play for the Harrow Club, taking the short cut over the flyover to get to Latimer Road from the manor. Back then Den Palfrey from Wormholt use to run it, see him over the Rangers a while back as well.
    did den use to live in Batman Close?, manager of the infamous Batman Rangers, grew up with his son Terry, also can anyone remember when Gilbert O'Sullivan done an episode of his series in the Vic, I was on screen more than Gilbert, right looker I was in my twenties

Leave a comment:

• Scarlet pimple
    replied
    I was born in Latimer rd, before the a40 flyover was built, and used to walk to Norland market with my dad.........good times, miss em terribly.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Growing up in Markland House Flats, a tower block over looking the westway by Latimer Road station around 1970 to 1977, before that was Methold Road. At This time i never went to Rangers, but as i boy I used to look out of our 9th floor window and see White city stadium lights on and i used to think they were QPR`s! Usually Banger Racing or The Dogs. Used to watch The Big Match and always see QPR on there,most of the other kids at school were R`s too, maybe ther was other teams but don`t recall too well. Our great time of that time were Nationally known and I was always out playing footie with other kids wanting to be the Likes of Bowles/Thomas/Francis/Masson/Givens et al. I`d like to think i done them proud!!

Remember my mum buying peas pudding & saveloys from butchers. Lots of west Indians. Oxford Gardens Borstal (Sorry School!) Going Round to Our Nan`s in Hillfarm Road every saturday and having to watch The Wrestling, Only wanted to see Final Score and The Great ****ie Davis!

Was`nt Presto Supermarket in Shep Bush open around this time too?

Leave a comment:

• w12boy
    replied
    Originally posted by factamondo View Post
    last i saw of him the fella was suffering from parkinsons/or alzheimers i think.....how old are you old son???
    Thats really sad Les is a legend and did a lot for me and my football.
    I am 55 and next season will be my 50th

Leave a comment:

• Scarlet pimple
    replied
    Originally posted by W12_Ranger View Post
    Reg Clements also was there when I play don't remember Lou Ashman though, you must be older than me
    Joined when i was 10 years old, 1958 all boys club then, was much smaller and my name is carved (among others) on the old entrance door which could be seen from the flyover, left when i was 16, won loads of medals with em really good club going mixed ruined it as a sporting club lol.

Leave a comment:

• W12_Ranger
    replied
    Originally posted by Scarlet pimple View Post
    Used to play for the Harrow club as well, football, cricket, and table tennis.
    Lou Ashman ran the club when i was there.
    Reg Clements also was there when I play don't remember Lou Ashman though, you must be older than me

Leave a comment:

Working...
X