Just Back on the Island...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Back on the Island...

I am seriously struggling to find words on what to write about today's game.

I would love to say that we played good attacking football, the crowd got right behind them, and the players got a great send off - but the reality was quite the opposite. Loftus Road had such a negative vibe surrounding it today, it's just difficult to find words to describe the feel around the place.

It's odd, in the past I have been criticized for turning a blind eye to any negativity at QPR - but this season (particularly since Sousa's departure), I just can't get past my indifference towards our club. In truth, I struggle to look past the serious mistakes being made, and it is clear for all to see how disgruntled our supporters have became.

Looking at the starting line up, and it was clearly an experimental side that Ainsworth chose to field. Miller (remember him?) was restored the starting lineup alongside Mahon in midfield, while Leigertwood was positioned at right back with Ramage on the bench.

Onto the game, and I have to say I am embarrassed to say that I have nothing of note to say about the first half. One half chance for Plymouth was ballooned over the bar... and... erm.... that's about it!

I have been sat here frantically scratching my head trying to think of something, but at the risk of going bald prematurely - I think I will honestly state that we didn't do anything.

As far as performances go, there were two players that stood out to me. Firstly Liam Miller. I have been critical of his recent no shows, and particularly for his performance against Bristol City. He was rightly dropped to the bench since, but he did look very good. Hounding every player in midfield, chasing the ball, and some pretty intricate footwork. To say he had a brilliant first half would be a large over statement, but I think I would sum him up as impressive.

Lee Cook was the other one that impressed me. I managed to catch up with him before the game. I complimented him on his two superb assists against Wednesday, and he smiled and said "Wait till next season, plenty more of that to come!" I know people may feel indifferent about his form this season, but I do just feel so endeared to him - you can hear in his voice how desperately he wants to recapture that form of a couple of years ago... and I know he will. His performance was also very good though. He was a real outlet on the left hand side, and although none of his crosses were met with a chance on goal... the positive was that he was running at players (getting to the byline), and looking confident coming forward.

Onto the second half (hands drift up to my skull again). Erm... Not much really happened... Oh actually how could I forget!!

As we looked up at the clock... 77 minutes gone and the game ticking on... then some action. As Cerny went to pick the ball up from behind the goal, we looked on as a young girl and who I assume was her brother run onto the pitch. First she stood in front of the R block, with her hands waving frantically in the air... the players all stopped, and naturally the referee stopped. Amazingly not ONE steward bothered to do anything, and during the course of her minute of fame... she managed to jog from the corner in Ellerslie Road, up to in front of the C club, down to where the Plymouth fans were located, and back along Ellerslie Road. After what must have been about 90 seconds, a well built (being kind for fat ) steward bundled onto the pitch. After jogging about 8 steps, he turned round and went back to his position by the corner flag. Remarkably, the girl almost walked herself off the pitch, before being confronted by a couple of dopey stewards.

In what had been a dire game, this was the highlight. She was given a standing ovation as she was marched off down the tunnel. As the game got going again, the little boy who we had seen run on with her, was being ushered down to where the girl was sent. He hopped over the barrier though, and confidently strutted back to his seat. He was given a pat on his shoulders by his mum, and was left with a beaming smile.

It provided laughter for us anyway, and had it not been for those two - I don't think this report would have exceeded 200 words!!

As the game ticked down towards the final , I was almost relieved that the end was close.

As is always the case at the end of the season, we waited in our seats for the players lap of honour. I have to say, I was gobsmacked at the amount of people that didn't bother waiting to clap the players. Looking over at South Africa Road stand, it was literally little pockets of people at the front of the top tier clapping them. Dead empty.

As the players walked down past the Ellerslie Road stand, again it was near on empty. I don't think there could have been more than 70 people in the R block that bothered to stay. The players didn't seem overly bothered to thank us either, and with the exception of Cerny/Ainsworth/Cook/Ramage/Ephraim - they looked as if they were walking round out of duty as opposed to choice.

What a far far cry from times gone by, if ever there was proof of the distance between player and supporter - it was there for all to see. Speaking from my heart, I was embarrassed 90% of our players. It would have been nice to have received some thanks for our support this season (admittedly sections may have been hostile towards them at times), but with attitudes like that - it certainly left me in no mood to back them.

I got up at 6:30am yesterday morning. I was on a 7:45am ferry, a train to London, then on the underground to Loftus Road. All in all the day cost me £105. Would it be so much to ask for the players to just raise their hand and clap us? I have been baffled by some of the chants of "We want our Rangers back" this season, but I think here it would probably have been quite fitting. They quite clearly - just couldn't care less.

Onto the player ratings, and I feel only 2 of them are really worthy of mention.

Angelo Balanta - Looked a class above when he came on. I can't believe that we haven't used him more towards the end of the season, he is clearly good enough. Some of the control he displayed was just jaw dropping. His skill with the ball at feet was marvelous. He should start against Preston. Oh he actually looked interested too!!

Antonio German - The only other time I have seen him play was against Southampton, and he looked very weak. I keep seeing glittering reports from his reserve performances, but yesterday was the first time I saw his potential. As I mentioned, I thought he looked weak at Southampton - but he is anything but that. He holds the ball up superbly for someone of his age, and he has got a nice burst of speed as well. Few really promising glimpses of a real player there, and like Balanta... would love to see him start next week. Very encouraging, and along with Balanta was one of very few that looked as if they wanted to be there.

In summary, I have to say the whole day left a bitter taste in my mouth. Not so much for the result, I appreciate that with it being so close to the end of the season - and relatively little to play for that we won't be treated to a classic. But the attitude of the players was just disgusting. I would have loved to have seen the players get fans back on their side at the seasons climax, but they just don't look interested at all to me.

Whether they are pushing for moves elsewhere or not I don't know - but there is something clearly not right there.

I will be going up to Preston next Sunday, and I hope to see if nothing else - just a little bit of commitment. But as i said, it seems the players are so alienated from us fans... that I won't be holding my breathe.

Again leaving this brutally honest report on a bitter sweet note.

For the first time I met Peter Ramage yesterday. What a fantastic guy he is. I complimented him on his brilliant form since being back in the side, and it was almost as if his whole face lit up as I said it. He stood and spoke for a little bit, and it at least restored some of my pride towards our players. Top top guy!

Another possibly controversial point - Martin Rowlands. Again, I met him outside before the game... and what an arrogant side he showed. Wouldn't give anyone the time of day, and when I asked how his injury was getting on... he just didn't even bother to reply. Captain fantastic eh? Cheers Rowley!

great report as always,Safa.

but what did you make of the EMU EMU EMU chants from big Dan??
    Last edited by rblockells; 26-04-2009, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X