Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Long term investment in youth or short term experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long term investment in youth or short term experience?

Many of us believe that next season has to be our season but arguably to do this we would have to buy players who will give us that immediate success. Obviously no player can guarantee us success but bringing a player in with both experience and success at this level is more likely to help us get out of the division then buying young and inexperienced players.

I ask then would you prefer us to buy players who may not make it in the Premiership but will give us a great chance of getting their or would you prefer the club to invest in youth who aren't ready for a season long campaign?

Let me help you with answering this question:

Players like Andy Gray, Tommy Smith even Kevin Phillips don't have the quality to cut it at the highest level but would bring much need experience, leadership and hopefully goals which our team need. But by signing such players we would need to release them and bring in new players for a Premiership campaign.

If, however we invest in youth and build an academy and a scouting system similar to that of Wolves it might take us longer to reach the Premiership but the result would be that we could turn freebie or low cost signings into multi-million pound players and not be left with has beens or cast offs.

I'm in two minds over my own question. On the one hand I would love us to get back to the Premiership sooner rather than later but I would also love us to do it with our "own" players. The thought of going up having had to sign ex-Charlton or ex-Watford players wouldn't matter when promoted but during the season it would get mentioned everytime he plays badly. When a player is "our own" we tend to give him more time and I would even go so far as to say that we would celebrate more if they were to score then if they were/are someone elses. An example for this is that I believe that we would be happier if Balanta were to score a hat-trick knowing he is our player than if Di Carmine scored one (not that it will happen) because he isn't our player.

I can guess already that the majority will say they want success sooner but I would interested to here the debate into why.

Why not do both I'd like us to upgrade to Academy stautus we do after all have the funding and it would fit in with Flavio's long term plan for fortress boutique.

Having said that.....

How dare you come onto this site with a well reasoned and logical point about investimg in the future.

MYU ban this poster and banish this post to the morgue that is the Beyond QPR section.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/1882QP...5398272?ref=ts

Comment

If we bought older experienced players at this level who then couldnt cut it at he Prem we wud have a player overhaul this summer, to get them in, and the summer before we started in the Prem, to get them out and better quality in. I think if we build a solid youth investment then they will take us up and be able to cut it at the top level.

On the other hand i want us to go up nxt year so.... !!!
      CHAMPIONS
      Ainsworth is a Legend http://twitter.com/#!/ChrisHermitage Has scored at Loftus Road

Comment

Originally posted by hermitage10 View Post
        If we bought older experienced players at this level who then couldnt cut it at he Prem we wud have a player overhaul this summer, to get them in, and the summer before we started in the Prem, to get them out and better quality in. I think if we build a solid youth investment then they will take us up and be able to cut it at the top level.

On the other hand i want us to go up nxt year so.... !!!
        It is a tough call. Because if the board bring in older talent and we aren't successful then we are stuck. If they bring in youth then we have time to improve players but promotion takes longer to achieve.

Comment

we must get an fa academy up and running, then we can attempt to lure the best players into our yth set up...its a long term investment but in 5 yrs or so, players will come thru we can use or sell...
          the yth team are doing well but with real finance can only do better?
          and we won't have to get all these loan players.

Comment

Good topic SPC.

I would go for experience to get us promoted. Simply because I don't trust our rich owners to hang around forever waiting and it could all go pop before we get there with youngsters....

Comment

Good question, sirpie.
              I'd like to see us achieve promotion under a manager whose team does the business with a blend of youth and experience, however long it takes.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHRANGER1982 View Post
                Good question, sirpie.
                I'd like to see us achieve promotion under a manager whose team does the business with a blend of youth and experience, however long it takes.
                The more I think about it the more I like that idea. I saw an interview with Mick McCarthy at the weekend and he was saying how all the players he has taken on have come from lower place/division teams and has built his own side. Next season we wil have a manager who will have Holloway, LDC, Dowie and Sousa players and more than likely he will also have even more players brought in before he starts.

Comment

and meanwhile the prices will keep going up

Comment

You have to have a blend of both as someone has already said, but it would be nice if we could bring our own youth through in years to come instead of looking at other clubs 16s and onwards.

Comment

Working...
                    X