Irish heritage QPR fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish heritage QPR fans

Just curious. When I started going to Loftus Rd in the 1970s we had a lot of Irish fans. Are there many on this board of Irish descent?

I'm irish born and bred. I moved to England aged 9. My dad started taking me down to QPR straightaway. Still go whenever I can. Lots of first and second generation Irish still go to loftus road. QPR actually have a good few Irish fans that live in Ireland and follow the club. Most irish football fans are man utd and liverpool as they are glory hunters!! Imo!

Comment

Count me in grandparents from the old country

Comment

Me too,
        dad from dungarvan.

Comment

Back in the 70s the Bush was full of Irish and loads followed their home team. I lived in Loftus Road and was mates with quite a few who came with me.

Comment

Originally posted by LoftusRoadLad View Post
            Back in the 70s the Bush was full of Irish and loads followed their home team. I lived in Loftus Road and was mates with quite a few who came with me.
            Close to Kilburn and Chelsea too posh and for establishment bods, so they gravitated to the slums of Shepherds Bush? Also, Hoops similar to Celtic?

Comment

Moved to London in 20111 having followed the R’s since the mid 70’s - mainly down to seeing Don Givens score hat tricks for Ireland against Russia and Turkey in Dalymount Park as a kid. Attended lots of games before 2011 but became Upper Loft season tIcket holder then. No Irish near me but met plenty on away trips.

Comment

Originally posted by dawals View Post
                Moved to London in 20111 having followed the R’s since the mid 70’s - mainly down to seeing Don Givens score hat tricks for Ireland against Russia and Turkey in Dalymount Park as a kid. Attended lots of games before 2011 but became Upper Loft season tIcket holder then. No Irish near me but met plenty on away trips.
                I know season ticket holders who sit in the upper loft who are irish and have been sat up there for at least the past 15 years. IIRC !!!

Comment

Originally posted by dawals View Post

Wow, a time traveler.

I have two questions for you oh travelled one.

1) Did Lumley ever become the great Keeper many predicted.

2) Did Fernandes ever come up trumps with the new stadium or was it all just BS .

Comment

I am not Irish but I live in Donegal.
                    My wife's parents are both Irish, her father has passed now.
                    Back in the 80's most of the lads from the Goldhawk pub were Irish or sons of Irish.
                    We went to Liverpool away in the Milk Cup semi final 86 by coach, the lads draped an Irish tricolour on the back window.
                    beatmydemons.com

Comment

Cork born,and started supporting QPR because of Don Givens back in the 70s ,but also Gerry Francis and stanley Marsh

Comment

Born in Dungannon. My Dad has a mate from there that sometimes flies over to games.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebel R's View Post
                          Cork born,and started supporting QPR because of Don Givens back in the 70s ,but also Gerry Francis and stanley Marsh
                          Dont you mean Rodney ?

Comment

Originally posted by LoftusRoadLad View Post

Dont you mean Rodney ?
                            StanlBowles and Rodney Marsh of course

Comment

most of the fellows i knew from the white city estate in the 70's were all of irish decent.
                              proper irish surnames, still see a few of them now and again.
                              as someone on here mentioned the goldhawk, my father in law, from galway, always in there back in the day.
                              even the springbok and flanagans (remember that boozer in uxbridge road) was full of paddys.

Comment

Working...
                              X