• Show
Clear All

Good opening post.
    QPR
    Best team in the world
    Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffqpr View Post

Haven’t you noticed that they & we are doing very well at present, got your blinkers on again!
      What are you on about? I was referring to the comment about moving on from selling Les? We free falled down to the third tier as a result of selling him.

Comment

Originally posted by stanistheman View Post

What are you on about? I was referring to the comment about moving on from selling Les? We free falled down to the third tier as a result of selling him.
        We didn’t free fall because we sold Les , the recruitment from Wilkins was dreadful . Hately , Sommer , Goodridge , Zelic to name a few . He also persisted with certain kids that weren’t good enough Challis and Brazier spring to mind . The only decent player he bought was Osborne from Reading and then sold him within months.

Comment

[QUOTE=stanistheman;n2543398]

What are you on about? I was referring to the comment about moving on from selling Les? We free falled down to the third tier as a result of selling him.[/
          (however, time will tell how well the current board and Co. do.)
          that’s your comment in brackets I was referring to

Comment

I have to say we did free fall after selling Seaman, Parker, Peacock, Sinton and Ferdinand, in consecutive seasons.
            I hate Thompson for doing that to the club.
            So for me selling players year on year doesn't work and won't end well.
            But...if you sell big occasionally and then replace with a quality young up and coming youngster, is our best bet.
            We signed all those above from lower leagues, and sold them on, but you can't do it as Thompson did it, and lined his pockets, at the expense of the club's prem status.
            As I say with good scouting, and knowledgeable football people you can pickup rough diamonds and polish them up.
            The other way doesn't work for Rangers, we don't have the respect of these big players and they took the money and ran

Comment

Originally posted by QPRDave View Post
              I have to say we did free fall after selling Seaman, Parker, Peacock, Sinton and Ferdinand, in consecutive seasons.
              But...if you sell big occasionally and then replace with a quality young up and coming youngster, is our best bet.
              We signed all those above from lower leagues, and sold them on, but you can't do it as Thompson did it, and lined his pockets, at the expense of the club's prem status.
              As I say with good scouting, and knowledgeable football people you can pickup rough diamonds and polish them up.
              The other way doesn't work for Rangers, we don't have the respect of these big players and they took the money and ran
              Did Thompson sell those players to draw on the profits personally?

Or were those players sold and the money used to pay off debt caused by high player wages and buy other players that were not good enough?

Thompson lining his pockets eh?

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post

Did Thompson sell those players to draw on the profits personally?

Or were those players sold and the money used to pay off debt caused by high player wages and buy other players that were not good enough?

Thompson lining his pockets eh?
                Well where did the high player wages come from?
                We bought all those and more from the lower leagues, so I can't see as how players on huge wages were an issue.
                It's why we always looked lower down, because we couldn't buy top notch players.

Comment

The thing is Dave those players you named went on to join the likes of Man Utd .Arsenal , Newcastle . You can’t fight that or you just end up with unhappy players . You can only hope you get a good fee and reinvest it well .

Comment

Yeah I get that, and agree.But Sinton says he never wanted to go.
                    Then the #### Thompson tried to dispose of Gerry to Wolves, before he finally drove him out with Marsh.
                    He then wanted to buy Leeds if memory serves, the bloke was a ####.
                    Imo

Comment

Just to add, what has happened so far since Les, Mr Ramsey , and Mr hoos have come in I think has been fantastic.
                      To see our own players come through is a bigger thrill than buying in players.

Comment

Just to add, what has happened so far since Les, Mr Ramsey , and Mr hoos have come in I think has been fantastic.
                        To see our own players come through is a bigger thrill than buying in players.
                        Glad to see the respect you show to Mr Ramsey . I do believe he was brought in too early for his development, but too late to prevent the damage OH inflicted on the team

Comment

My point exactly but put in a more detailed way.
                          selling Ferdinand was the final piece of our downfall.

Stainrod made a good point about Wilkins wasting the money, but the damage was done in my view because Les was scoring the goals that won many matches that we would have otherwise lost or drawn. There weren’t that many strikers available who would have been able to replace him. Although I always thought that Niall Quinn (who was sold to Sunderland around the same time we bought Hateley) would have been a far better option.

Selling your best players every season only leads downwards.

Comment

[QUOTE=Jeffqpr;n2543402]

What are you on about? I was referring to the comment about moving on from selling Les? We free falled down to the third tier as a result of selling him.[/
                            (however, time will tell how well the current board and Co. do.)
                            that’s your comment in brackets I was referring to
                            Well let’s see how we do this season before praising them on a job well done rather than one match.

The team played well and fought hard, but the Forest match was a slightly fortunate win (Grabban missed two sitters he would usually score).

There are signs of a revival with some promising young players but still some way to go.

Comment

Yeah I get that, and agree.But Sinton says he never wanted to go.
                              Then the #### Thompson tried to dispose of Gerry to Wolves, before he finally drove him out with Marsh.
                              He then wanted to buy Leeds if memory serves, the bloke was a ####.
                              Imo
                              That’s all true as I recall.

Thompson had no ambition to develop and grow the club.

Comment

That’s all true as I recall.

Thompson had no ambition to develop and grow the club.
                                ... Or he needed to balance the books. The fact that hasn't changed is that we have a small income for a top flight. The thing that HAS changed is the income of the top clubs - it was a gulf, it's now a yawning chasm.

Those Prem years showed one thing that is still valid about this approach - the margins are such that get one re-investment wrong, or stop any conveyer belt of incoming talent to polish and that's it, nowhere to turn to. But, to compete, where your owners have either run out of money or do not want to spend anymore, this is the only way we can generate income.

Thompson was a business man. I suspect, but do not know, that he didn't make a profit on QPR. Although it looked like we were one or two away from seriously challenging back in the day, why did he have to throw those business basics out of the window and overspend?

Comment

Working...
                                X