An old head or two

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An old head or two

Right now, we only have two squad members over the age of thirty. Those are Cameron (35) and Wallace (33), both very injury prone. I don’t think we can count on them playing more than 20-25 matches at most.

Other than these two just Barbet (27), Kane (26) and Carroll (28) are above 25.

In a matter of eight months we have lost a number of seasoned pros: Wells (30), Pugh (33), Rangel (38), Hugill (28), Scowen (27), Hall (28) and Leinstner (30).
    These have been replaced by mostly young players: Thomas (23), Dykes (24), Amos (23), Ramkilde (22) and Dickie (24) plus Carroll and we have taken back Oteh (21), Kakay (23), Hamalainen (23), Smyth (23) and Dieng (25) from loans. Three players have been promoted from U23: Bettache (20), Gubbins (19) and Alfa (21) and you might as well add Owens (22).

It is an exceptionally young squad. While we have replaced the outgoing players with same number of new faces, we have not replaced the experience that we have lost, not the quality.
    I support our present recruitment policy, where we are looking for affordable young gems with a sell-on value. But we cannot count on youngsters only. We must blend it with a few experienced players, and not just those injury prone old heads we have.

I think 3-4 more players are incoming, including loans. I would like three of these to be 30+.

In the past, we have very good experience signing experienced players looking for their last decent contract, like Richard Dunne, Clint Hill and Clive Wilson in defense. In midfield I think of players such as Ray Wilkins, Peter Reid, Shaun Derry, Wild Thing, Gavin Peacock and even Vinni Jones. Some of the old forwards we have signed include Paul Furlong, Heidar Helguson, Trevor Francis, Clive Walker – all great signings. We might not always afford same quality today, but I don’t think some old players stepping down from the Premiership are always that expensive.

I feel Kenny (32 at the time of signing), Hill (31), Derry (32) and Helguson (33) were exceptionally shrewd signings by Warnock right before the 2010/2011 season. I don’t think any of them cost us a fortune and none of them had a long record of injuries as far as I can recall.

If they're anything near carthorse Cameron level then I would stick with youngsters.
    I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

Maturity is more important than age imo. We should be signing players on their potential to improve the squad, not their age. As long as they are dirt cheap, of course.

Never win anything with kids though.
      "I don't read the papers, I don't gamble, I don't even know what day it is." - Steve McClaren.

Comment

Ben Watson would be a great addition

Comment

Yet for all those experienced players only Hall played more than half a season with us. In the general current circumstances we cannot afford to carry players on high wages.

Comment

Think our loan players coming will be the mature ones.

Comment

We need a few old heads massively we have a young inexperienced squad not knocking that but you need some experience in there too Ben Watson would be a good signing for us on a free I'd love us to go all out for scott hogan but we shall see the next few weeks could make or break our season

Comment

It’s disappointing that the transfer window is open until October but the season starts early September.The bigger clubs are in no rush to finalise their squads while the smaller clubs are left waiting to pick up their scraps . Happened 2 seasons ago when we were already 4 games in before we managed to get Wells and Hemed .

Comment

It’s true we need some older and more experienced players in our ranks.

I am hoping that the club will be able to get them in and sooner than later in the window.

i agree that Ben Watson would be a good signing to make.
                  But another young player could be brought in and he has some experience at this and a higher level - Smith-Rowe from Arsenal. They have made it quite clear that he is available and I would have thought Banfield with his connections to them would have made this a realistic option.

Comment

Wouldn’t Johnny Williams from Crystal Palace be worth taking on a season long loan. He is good enough and has plenty of experience.

Comment

Originally posted by stanistheman View Post
                      Wouldn’t Johnny Williams from Crystal Palace be worth taking on a season long loan. He is good enough and has plenty of experience.
                      Stan if we signed every player you’ve recommended this summer we’d have a squad of about 50 .

Comment

Originally posted by Stainrod View Post
                        Stan if we signed every player you’ve recommended this summer we’d have a squad of about 50 .
                        Stains, as we've all been made aware, we know you work for the club. What's wrong with giving you (and them) a few leads if case you might have overlooked them?

Comment

Originally posted by Undecided View Post

Stains, as we've all been made aware, we know you work for the club. What's wrong with giving you (and them) a few leads if case you might have overlooked them?

Ha ha , ok I’ll pass it on to Warbs in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Stainrod View Post
                            And just how many of the recommended have we signed!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stanistheman View Post
                              He seemed somewhat shy and effete in that Sunderland documentary on Amazon..... Last thing we need is another midget lightweight in the squad.

Comment

Working...
                              X