Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The squad, transfer plans and looking to next season.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The squad, transfer plans and looking to next season.

After the past 5 performances I thought I'd breakdown how I see the current squad and plans for next season.

GK - We all know Lumley is error prone and cost us points at the start of the season. For me the jury is still out on Kelly, he's had some good performances but I cant help but feel like he has a mistake in him. I would probably look for a keeper in the next window. (Not Joe Hart. He left Man City because he couldnt play football with his feet and thats exactly what Warburton will expect from him. Disaster waiting to happen and wages will be too high).

LB - A priority. Manning has had some good performances this season but defensively he's been consistently poor. I dont think there's been a winger this season that hasnt turned him inside out at some stage of the game. He has a great left foot and puts in some great crosses on his day but defensively its a disaster. Havent seen too much of Wallace but its clear he's coming towards the end of his career and is prone to injury.

RB - A priority. Rangel been a great servant and somehow still puts in a shift at 37 years of age. My concern is that he gets in the team ahead of 26 year old Todd Kane who signed a 3 year deal with us at the start of the season. 3 years and he has looked nothing short of hopeless every time he has played. Maybe he needs a run of games to get some momentum going but my god it doesnt look promising. I hear lots of talk about Kakay but I think part of going down the academy route is recognising that not every player that comes through will make it, and not every player is good enough. We naturally look to him as the RB that has been been through our system and had loans etc but I personally dont think he's good enough. He's shown glimpses of promise, I'd give him 1 more season to prove he is championship level.

CB - A priority. I like Barbet when he's alongside someone that can do the dirty work. Classy player on his day and his left foot is great but I think he needs an experienced head by his side to compliment his ball playing style. When you put Masterson next to him it just looks a bit of a shambles, although I do think Masterson has a future at the club. Hall had his injury problems but was a good CB at this level when fit. He played 30 games this season and is a big loss for these last few games.

When the assessment is that Barbet is the only player I would start in our back 5 next season, its no suprise that we concede so many goals and look so poor at the back. Shambles.

CM - A priority. I cant make my mind up on Dom Ball or Luke Amos. Both have shown glimpses of what they're capable of but equally have had some #### poor performances this season. I think they both make good squad players but if I'm being perfectly honest I just dont think they're good enough to start if we want to push for top half and the top 6. I can understand Geoff signing a new deal, he's an experienced head and clearly has quality even though its fading. Another problem area for us.

CAM, LM, RM - I've grouped these positions together because its clear under Warburton that the 3 of them rotate and are expected to be competent in each of the 3 positions. Recruitment here is obviously dependent on what happens with Eze and Bright. Assuming that we lose them both (which is looking increasingly likely based on Les and Lee's recent interviews) then this becomes a priority area for us, but for now its definitely our strongest area. I like Chair and think he has a big future ahead of him, he has a part to play over the next few seasons and hopefully fulfills his potential.

ST - A priority. I actually think Hugill is a good striker at this level. He'll never make it in the premier league because he clearly lacks composure and loves to miss a sitter. That being said, he finds himself in the right places and always has a goal in him with the right players behind him. West Ham will want money for him that we definitely wont (and shouldnt) pay so I think we'll be parting ways at the end of the season. Yet again this leaves us light in this position (I sound like a broken record), with Oteh as the only recognised striker at the club. Oteh for me is similar to the Kakay situation, he's clearly not good enough. 1 goal in 13 appearances at Walsall and 3 goals in 18 appearances at Bradford just doesnt cut it. I'm all for promoting youth and looking to the academy but part of that is accepting that some players arent good enough.

So the conclusion is that I would buy a new GK, LB, RB, CB, CM and ST. The only positions I feel as though we're strong are the front 3 behind the striker, but thats including Eze and Bright who are inevitably leaving. What does this mean? Another rebuild...

I'm ok with rebuilding as long as this time its done with more quality. We signed 13 players this season for just £50,000 which on paper is fantastic business. When you assess the likes of Dom Ball, Marc Pugh, Liam Kelly, Geoff Cameron etc based on what they came in for then you can call it good business. But if we really want to push on to greater things now then the money we sell Eze and Bright for MUST be invested in the squad. I dont have faith that the club will get a lot of money for the pair of them, so hypothetically lets say we make £10m from their sales. Even if only half of that is invested in the squad its significantly more than the £50,000 spent this season. I dont want to hear excuses from the board next season if we lose our star players 'well it was always going to be harder after losing the likes of Eze and Bright'. The narrative we have been sold is that we make no revenue from ticket sales so our transfer business must be funded by player sales. Next season will be the first for a long time that we have made considerable money from player sales and the board should be judged accordingly. I understand FFP and I like that we are trying to be more sustainable, but there is no excuse for not investing in the squad next season. Here's hoping that we see some progress, although I have little faith.

Great post and makes an awful lot of sense.

I think Manning will be sold aswell tbh, and as you say it is going to be another massive re-build and overhaul of the squad again.

One thing you may have missed though in the keeper department is Dieng? Promising young keeper with good reviews from his loans. He may save us a few quid, and between him and Kelly may be our options for first choice next season in net. I have no confidence in Lumley and would happily ship him on and snap anyones hands off if they offered us any kind of fee for him!

Comment

I couldn't agree more with your philosophy regarding player sales/investment. Next season could realistically be an all or nothing season.

I think your assessment of our current team may be a little harsh, but judging by the results/performances in the last 2 games seems spot on. Some players need to up their game or be replaced.

​​​​It appears as if there may be quite a few players without clubs/contracts come the end of the season, so I guess we will probably trawl through those first (not certain if this is a good or bad strategy though).

Comment

And what about our manager?
        QPR
        Best team in the world
        Sort of

Comment

I really cannot decide about Warburton, every time I think he's nailed it and we are moving in the right direction, we go on a run of poor results and performances. On balance I would give him more time.
          ​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Darkranger View Post
            I really cannot decide about Warburton, every time I think he's nailed it and we are moving in the right direction, we go on a run of poor results and performances. On balance I would give him more time.
            ​​​​​
            I think I can agree with you.
            QPR
            Best team in the world
            Sort of

Comment

Very important post and the comments above are solid.

My take:

If you could do one thing next year, rebuild the defense. Ship Lumley off on loan; he's got zero confidence. If we can't recruit a veteran keeper, agree that Dieng should be elevated and asked to compete with Kelly for #1. Given all of our other needs, that's okay for the time being.

Agree that Barbet is the only solid cog on the back line at present, and needs a veteran next to him like that hoss Aberdeen CB we pursued earlier this year. Would allow Masterson to mature at a proper pace. At RB, Kane is a loss, Rangel is a wonderful presence and backup, but need better there. Believe it harsh to judge Kakay as incapable given he has not had a proper chance to show what he can do in a QPR game (versus on the practice field, which for some players can be different). Would muddle along with these three next year given so many other needs to be filled.

At LB, tbh I am frustrated by Manning's precipitous fall from a top performer earlier this season to one who lacks not only defensive skill by increasingly any ambition on offense. Wallace should be given more playing time there, but we all know that's not enough.

Like Cameron, Ball and Amos as part of the answer in defensive midfield, but know we are in desperate need of a recruit who can push the ball upfield better and faster.

There is no easy replacement for either Eze or Bos, and agree they are almost 100% sure to be sold for funds before the start of next season. Chair is going to be the next QPR star, so key is to build around him, knowing while Shodipo is okay the others in the squad are too green at the moment.

Hugill is as good as our budget can afford at striker, but given he's likely to move on and Oteh offers no prospect there, we'll have to go shopping. Nahki Wells is sorely missed.

Which brings us to the final two pieces: Warburton and our style of play.

MW clearly likes the passing game, but the way it's being exercised is creating an ambition-less and boring brand of football. What happened to our pace, our drive, our sense of urgency? Frustrating to see Kelly get the ball, run around in the box, then throw it out to a defender who passes it back and forth to other defenders before launching a long (usually ineffective) pass upfield. If it goes to the left side, Manning 9 times out of ten passes it backward; if on the right, BOS is usually double-teamed; and if down the center Eze despite his flashes of utter brilliance offers no consistent push to put the other team in harm's way. Them by game's end, we look at the stats and see we dominated possession but only had a few shots on goal.

I would rebuilt our style of play around one quality: pace. Go out and find speedy players who never stop running, pressing, and pushing forward. Given QPR does not have the budget to fund top quality, MW's tactics must be based around a "plug and play" system that players who come and go can understand, and adapt to, quickly and willingly.

This season is over. Time to take stock, restock, and prepare for the future.

Comment

The trouble is we are skint and reliant on selling Eze and BOS to free up a bit of cash

I may be a lone voice but I actually want these to be sold for a reasonable amount otherwise we are stuck with the squad we’ve got

The way BOS and Eze are playing at the moment their value is decreasing by the week!

Comment

Originally posted by Shania View Post
                  And what about our manager?
                  How could I forget!

I think he's done well with the squad at his disposal. Its very difficult to lay blame on the manager when you've come to the conclusion that a lot of the players arent good enough. I think he's getting the best out of a very average bunch of players and should be assessed accordingly. Correct me if I'm wrong but his highest finish in the championship was guiding Brentford to 5th with the likes of Andre Gray, James Tarkowski, Jack O'Connell etc. It doesnt take a genius to recognise that the current crop of players are nowhere near the level required to successfully implement his philosophy. I would also note that the style of football he plays actually adds to the value of players, which is key when we're trying to develop and sell assets.

If Warbs is allowed to invest next season and we fail to make any progress then of course his position should be under scrutiny. For now he's working with a bang average crop of players and we're probably about where we should be in the table. I feel the frustration and nothing makes me angrier than watching performances like Barnsley and Charlton, but to blame that on the manager I dont agree with. We have some consistency for the first time in while, lets give him a chance and see what he can do with some investment. All goes wrong? Get rid.

Comment

Originally posted by bradrangers View Post

How could I forget!

I think he's done well with the squad at his disposal. Its very difficult to lay blame on the manager when you've come to the conclusion that a lot of the players arent good enough. I think he's getting the best out of a very average bunch of players and should be assessed accordingly. Correct me if I'm wrong but his highest finish in the championship was guiding Brentford to 5th with the likes of Andre Gray, James Tarkowski, Jack O'Connell etc. It doesnt take a genius to recognise that the current crop of players are nowhere near the level required to successfully implement his philosophy. I would also note that the style of football he plays actually adds to the value of players, which is key when we're trying to develop and sell assets.

If Warbs is allowed to invest next season and we fail to make any progress then of course his position should be under scrutiny. For now he's working with a bang average crop of players and we're probably about where we should be in the table. I feel the frustration and nothing makes me angrier than watching performances like Barnsley and Charlton, but to blame that on the manager I dont agree with. We have some consistency for the first time in while, lets give him a chance and see what he can do with some investment. All goes wrong? Get rid.
                    See what he can do with some investment? Where's that coming from then?

Even if we get £15-20m for Eze and BOS there will be Directots loans to pay off and cover the drop in income from COVID. Any money left over will do towards subsidising next seasons wages.

Whatever fees we get I suspect we will continue to pock up young players released from Prem teams and free transfers. With our budget success means 55-65 points and MW will be doing very well to achieve that next season.

The owners will have other businesses under pressure and even if they had spare cash I doubt they'd put it into us. They've already done that and it sidnt work.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post

Even if we get £15-20m for Eze and BOS there will be Directots loans to pay off and cover the drop in income from COVID. Any money left over will do towards subsidising next seasons wages.

Whatever fees we get I suspect we will continue to pock up young players released from Prem teams and free transfers. With our budget success means 55-65 points and MW will be doing very well to achieve that next season.

The owners will have other businesses under pressure and even if they had spare cash I doubt they'd put it into us. They've already done that and it sidnt work.
                      I dont disagree with you.

My point is that its unfair to assess Warburton when there is practically no investment in the squad.

Until we are in a position where thats a possibility, I dont think its fair to say he's not doing a good job.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post

Are the Director's loans different loans from the Owner's loans?

Also, not sure that even if the Owners wanted to pump more money in it would help remove the FFP threat. Unless that is suddenly and inexplicably waived in the Championship.

Comment

Originally posted by bradrangers View Post

I dont disagree with you.

My point is that its unfair to assess Warburton when there is practically no investment in the squad.

Until we are in a position where thats a possibility, I dont think its fair to say he's not doing a good job.
                          I am assessing him based on the current restrictions and I think he's going a great job. I think his job is safe for a couple of seasons yet if we can maintain mid table finishes.

Comment

Originally posted by Undecided View Post

Are the Director's loans different loans from the Owner's loans?

Also, not sure that even if the Owners wanted to pump more money in it would help remove the FFP threat. Unless that is suddenly and inexplicably waived in the Championship.
                            I have just looked at the last accounts to 31 May 2019 and it shows debts of £33m. So even if we sold Eze, BOS and Manning for £33m it could all.go to clear that debt and would not necessarily mean our current business model if investing in young players and free transfers would change.

Hoos said in a recent interview that wages are now 60% of income so we are getting to be in a good position, but doubt we'll be in s profit situation. In theory you can lose £35m over three years and once that cycle has ended you can invest again to lose that money again over another three years. But when financial constraints are over I'm not sure whether they"d put their hands on their pockets again to that level. They've already burned so much money that hasnt brought success. Hopefully we'll stick to the current model that is bringing stability even though if it means there can be bad runs of form on the pitch.

Comment

We will need another revolution of the squad in the summer and I suspect Covid has killed any meaningful investment plans even allowing for Eze and BOS going.

Defensively need two CBs, maybe one permanent one loan to give us some depth and competition.

Midfield would take Amos again on loan or someone similar and maybe one permanent signing.

The problems are further up the pitch. We literally have no competent striker of our own at this level. We need so sign a minimum three Championship level strikers plus say a youngster. Ideally two permanent and maybe a loan or two. Couple of wide players.

Loan market again will be important for us. Would rather not leave it until so late in the window either, although appreciate why we had to. Maybe as part of any BOS/Eze deal get a loan or two, maybe even a part exchange to give us something sooner rather than later.

Happy enough with Warburton but we need to see continual improvement year on year.

Comment

Working...
                              X