What We Need to Do Next

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with Gator.

Give MW another chance next sseaon and see what , if any, progress is made.

Let's be honest here,the club is not exactly an enticing option for good managers and coaches - low budget, poorly run by those at the top stadium and training ground issues..

Comment

The 'brentford model' has taken years to get in place and we are only now seeing the first wave of talented young players coming through the system. With a fair wind we might get some decent money for 2-3 players and the cycle starts again. But next time we'll have a few quid to buy, or more likely, put towards the higher wages needed to bring some quality in. If we can generate £30m in transfer fees every three years that will go a long way to make us challenge at the top end of the championship.

With the current budget and quality of the squad I dont think a change any time soon will improve the situation. Everyone on the management structure are singing off the same hymn sheet so let's just leave things as they are and review it when MW contract is due for renewal. I doubt we have the cash to pay him off early even if we wanted to.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post
        The 'brentford model' has taken years to get in place and we are only now seeing the first wave of talented young players coming through the system. With a fair wind we might get some decent money for 2-3 players and the cycle starts again. But next time we'll have a few quid to buy, or more likely, put towards the higher wages needed to bring some quality in. If we can generate £30m in transfer fees every three years that will go a long way to make us challenge at the top end of the championship.

With the current budget and quality of the squad I dont think a change any time soon will improve the situation. Everyone on the management structure are singing off the same hymn sheet so let's just leave things as they are and review it when MW contract is due for renewal. I doubt we have the cash to pay him off early even if we wanted to.
        Bang on .

Comment

My twopenneth worth.
          The manager has performed miracles imo.
          Literally turned water into wine.
          My concern would be not to lose him to another club.
          This season was never going to be a promotion one.
          Next won't be either, or probably the one after.
          But I think this fella should be here until at least then.
          He works well with the system we have

Comment

Originally posted by QPRDave View Post
            My twopenneth worth.
            The manager has performed miracles imo.
            Literally turned water into wine.
            My concern would be not to lose him to another club.
            This season was never going to be a promotion one.
            Next won't be either, or probably the one after.
            But I think this fella should be here until at least then.
            He works well with the system we have
            The only manager who could have done better is Olly. What do others think?

Comment

I thought Olly was a ton of fun to watch, but by the end of his tenure he was giving stick to the fans as well as other doubters. Believe he was a perfect transition to what we now have with MW (with the little hiccup of McClaren in between).

Given MW and Les and Hoos seem to be aligned (finally) on a longer range fix to what we all want to forget, let's stay the course. As I pointed out above, beyond MW's solidity, he seems to be a magnet for drawing players here. That's no small deal given most players making a move seem to have more than one suitor. Figure we off-load Eze for 15-20m, sign a solid CB like the dude from Aberdeen + another CB on the rise, add a central midfielder and two fast forwards, and we are likely to improve in the next season and the season after that.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post

The only manager who could have done better is Olly. What do others think?
                Not a popular view point, and imo Olly didn't play as attractive football.
                But...he did have the same level of problems, and did keep us up in the first season and a midtable finish.

Comment

Joe Hart - experienced veteran keeper?

Comment

Wouldn't fit the wage bill or the desire imo of course

Comment

Working...
                    X