Behind closed door until there is a vaccine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Behind closed door until there is a vaccine

I see that there are speculations that football will have to be played behind closed doors until there is a vaccine:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/footb...virus-vaccine/

A vaccine is probably earliest available 12-18 months from now, if at all. It can be late 2021, 2022, 2023 or never. And it takes forever to vaccine the entire populations, so add another 6+ months from vaccination will be introduced until everyone has got their injection.

It is impossible for some Championship clubs to survive without fans and match day revenues. If there are no fans attending matches there wont be much other revenues either, as most other commercial revenue will disappear. Not all clubs can survive on selling players, either because they don't have salable players or because not many clubs can afford to buy.

If some Championships cannot afford to play without fans, I think the league has to shut altogether, until there is a vaccine and games can resume. It won't be fair to keep going if it drives clubs to bankruptcy.

So lets face it: If the government decides to abandon matches until there is a vaccine we have to go into stamp collecting or some other new hobbies, as there won't be Championships matches for a very, very long time.

My opinion: I think this lock down is madness. The lock down kills way more people than the virus. Hundreds of million jobs are lost around the world and hundreds of million people are driven into poverty, with potential social unrest that we have never seen before once the long term consequences are taking its toll.

Lockdowns are lifting all over the world so let’s see how that goes . If infections don’t spiral out of control it will stay manageable. Maybe a reliable anti body test will come before a vaccine and lots of people could go back to normal life again if it was proved they have had the virus already which I’m sure thousands have already without even knowing it.

Comment

Yes, they ease the lock down everywhere, allowing people back to work and children back to school. I live in Norway and all schools, kinder gardens and universities have either opened or are opening this week. Most businesses are back to normal, but not the travelling and event industry.

However, one thing is opening up critical infrastructure like schools. Another is mass events like rock concerts or football games. If Boris & co really mean people cannot gather in bigger numbers in sport arenas before there is a vaccine this will mean a a lengthy lock down for football. Premier League can go on behind closed doors with its big TV money, but outside PL there wont be a financial platform for football without fans.

I have seen interviews with Graeme Souness and Jamie Redknapp today saying the same. They are of the opinion we cannot play football matches as long as people are dying. People will still die from this virus for years and we have just seen the very beginning of it.

Comment

Originally posted by QPROslo View Post
        Yes, they ease the lock down everywhere, allowing people back to work and children back to school. I live in Norway and all schools, kinder gardens and universities have either opened or are opening this week. Most businesses are back to normal, but not the travelling and event industry.

However, one thing is opening up critical infrastructure like schools. Another is mass events like rock concerts or football games. If Boris & co really mean people cannot gather in bigger numbers in sport arenas before there is a vaccine this will mean a a lengthy lock down for football. Premier League can go on behind closed doors with its big TV money, but outside PL there wont be a financial platform for football without fans.

I have seen interviews with Graeme Souness and Jamie Redknapp today saying the same. They are of the opinion we cannot play football matches as long as people are dying. People will still die from this virus for years and we have just seen the very beginning of it.
        Germans starting this week .

Comment

Not directly related but government has just released this......

Step two of that plan - which will not be allowed to start before 1 June - includes "permitting cultural and sporting events to take place behind closed doors for broadcast, while avoiding the risk of large-scale social contact".

I can't see how these plans to play games AND televise them can happen without involving 200+ people. What the definition of "large-scale" is could be debated but I'd say anything over 50 is not acceptable at this time.

Comment

There is so much uncertainty in all aspects of society, I don't have the answers and the people leading us are gambling with every decision which they say is based on scientific advice, trouble is even the scientists say they are uncertain as there is no template for this scale of pandemic across the globe.
            ​​​​​​
            What does our club do? What can they do? They need money to survive.
            Season ticket deadline for renewal been extended to the end of May, who realistically thinks fans will be in stadiums this side of Christmas?
            Should the club say what happens if you buy and first half of season behind closes doors?
            Season ticket discussions are irrelevant to the nations health crisis but as I've said, what should our club do as it is a business and at risk.

Everyone take care and stay safe.

Comment

- BCD for this and possibly next season. It’s the only way in all countries except Sweden, where one season will be enough. No lockdown here and approx 40% of all people in Stockholm have been infected at June 15
              - Stream the games not on Sky for £15 for all at any location
              - Buy a stream season ticket at lower price

Done.

Comment

Many clubs outside the prem even some in the prem will not survive if they are playing without crowds , for the next 12-18 months, I think probably best we will see is start of next crowds being allowed if the season kicks off in August.

Comment

its just a mess with no easy answers. Football behind closed doors will be rubbish . Players contracts up , whose going to pay players .i wouldn't like to be deciding footballs future right now

Comment

I see there is a spanner in works in Bundesliga with a covid outbreak at Dynamo Dresden. That's all well and good but I noticed their DoF is called RALF #####!

RALF #####!!!! Fantastic... Never thought STEFAN ####Z would be topped but The Bundesliga keeps on giving. If I get really bored tomorrow I might scour German squad lists for other names that sound like slang for female intimate anatomy parts.

Drat! Ralf's name gets censored!!!l 5 letters and rhymes with HINGE.

Comment

Working...
                    X