A wake up call

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A wake up call

Lacy journalists are running polls every day, asking fans if we should sign Angel Rangel, Grant Hall and other out-of-contract players. The questions are impossible to answer. The only responsible action of any EFL club right now is to bin any idea of new signings. The uncertainties surrounding future revenues are so severe that the only sensible thing is to look hard at all sorts of cost cutting, and not spending a second thinking of new signings. Survival is paramount and right now should be the only focus.
    A football club have five sources of income. All are under threat:
    • Media revenue: If all matches are put on hold there are no TV revenue. Football might resume during summer, but we cannot rule out that matches might not resume before late this year. If the number of matches next season need to be drastically cut, i.e. by teams playing each other only ones, the Championship being split in two regional divisions and/or all cup matches dropped, it is unlikely the TV companies will not look for significant reduction in payments.
    • Match day revenue: If the season resumes it is likely to be played behind closed door for quite some time. More people will pay for streaming services, but this will only compensate for a limited part of the losses.
    • Commercial revenue: If matches will be played behind closed doors or if less matches will be played, the commercial revenues, such advertising space and sponsorships will diminish.
    • Sale of players: I cannot see that many Championship clubs will be left with any transfer fee budgets. Premier League clubs will, but if the lock down continues for a long time, the TV companies, which provide 80%+ of the Premier League revenue, will demand significant cuts. With exceptions of a few top clubs, most clubs will cut their budgets, and this will reduce demand and reduce value of players such as Eze and BOS.
    • Subsidies: Many owners will find themselves in a more difficult financial position, if their income derives from industries such as air travel, leisure, oil, steel, cars etc. Fewer owners will accept to keep subsidizing football clubs and will demand that clubs try to balance the books.
    QPR will likely be affected by all the issues above. I am therefore disappointed the message from the club is that players are agreeing to wage deferrals rather than wage cuts. Until there is more clarity of the future it would be irresponsible to renew loan contracts for Hugill, Amos, Clark and extend contracts of players such as Hall, Rangel, Cameroon and Pugh. We are probably closer to selling more players than just Eze and BOS than to sign new players.

Luckily, we have lots of good youngsters, and it is a fantastic opportunity for players such as Owens, Smyth, Shodipo, Dalling, Gubbins etc to stand up, and for long term fringe players that are still contracted, such as Kakay and Hämäläinen, to get a chance. I think we are in a better situation than many other clubs that cannot rely on the same quality and quantity of youngsters.

I get what your saying Oslo but every other club is in the same situation . Even the premier league is not immune when you take into account their outlay on wages .We have been getting our finances in order for a few years now and compared to most clubs we are in a good place .

Comment

I think its inevitable that if Eze and BOS leave the transfer fees will be massively impacted. I would be amazed if we get more than £20m for the pair now. But it will be essential that sell on fee percentages are bigger.

Dont blame Sir Les for these fees if they're not in the £35m bracket for the pair.

Comment

I agree Stainrod and Sheep. We are in a better position than most other Championships clubs and now appear better managed than ever.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post
          I think its inevitable that if Eze and BOS leave the transfer fees will be massively impacted. I would be amazed if we get more than £20m for the pair now. But it will be essential that sell on fee percentages are bigger.

Dont blame Sir Les for these fees if they're not in the £35m bracket for the pair.
          It will always be the fault of evil Les according to some posters.

Comment

Originally posted by Stainrod View Post

It will always be the fault of evil Les according to some posters.
            For sure............

There seems little money out there with Prem clubs losing revenue and having big squads to pay. Wouldnt be at all surprised to see Eze walk on a free next summer!

Comment

Tell them both to sign a contract extension play ore more season let the world get back to normal and show the world what you've got and then you and us will be better off. Every ones a winner baby

Comment

To show the financial impact:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52409583

Comment

Working...
                X