X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rangers Rewind - 1992-93

Anyone watched this on the QPR website?

https://www.qpr.co.uk/videos/feature...season-review/

A bit before my time, know a lot of the names, but surprised how good some of the goals where! Gary Penrice was quality as was Wilkins and Sinton!

The ground looked absolutely rocking with the Lower Loft unlike anything I've seen at LR in my time. Shame, I was only 6 at the time, really missed out!

Do people on here remember that season? What was it like at LR then compared to now?

watched it yesterday. superb.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe90 View Post
      Anyone watched this on the QPR website?

https://www.qpr.co.uk/videos/feature...season-review/

A bit before my time, know a lot of the names, but surprised how good some of the goals where! Gary Penrice was quality as was Wilkins and Sinton!

The ground looked absolutely rocking with the Lower Loft unlike anything I've seen at LR in my time. Shame, I was only 6 at the time, really missed out!

Do people on here remember that season? What was it like at LR then compared to now?
      When Rangers are playing wide expansive Football and competing at the very top level, Loftus Road is one of the best atmospheres around. Even then not every game sold out but the football we played was probably the closest to 73-77 period, no surprise as Gerry was manager. When we clicked we tore teams apart and even in some of the games we lost, some of the chances we created and missed were unbelievable and had they gone in who knows what might of happened that season. If we are competing for promotion then LR will be rocking again that is for sure and with the way the Premiership is heading at the moment who knows where we might all end up.

Comment

Critical me. Some observations.

We came from behind quite often
        Defensive errors
        What's changed?

State of the pitches - particularly away - when did we get plastic/rip the plastic up?
        Where would we have finished without Les's finishing?

Oldham !!!! Who?

How was that performance sufficient to come 5th (in terms of point gained)

We were somewhat off the pace - 8 points off 4th ( I forget)

Shoot me down if you wish.

Comment

Wow, you must hate watching QPR now!

Comment

Agonising!

Comment

That was my favourite season as a QPR fan. If we had kept the first teams fit we would've achieved even more. Defence looked strong and fast, midfield had the right blend of guile and umph and up front Les looked like the best striker in the world to my 17 year old eyes. I'll never forget 3 days when Les got back to back hattricks. Went to my first outside-of-london away trip to goodison and got a free ticket from Gerry Francis as he got off the team bus; shame it was in the main stand as I was almost lynched when we went 5-1 up! Ah the memories!

Comment

It was a good season to watch, but had some poor peformances in some games that cost the team quite a lot of points. If Liverpool fans hadn't got English clubs kicked out of European competitions QPR would have played in the UEFA Cup again. Funny how today's UEFA bosses can't issue blanket bans to a country's clubs.

I listened to the interview with Richard Thompson about holding on to the players, then just before the next season kickwd off he sold Sinton to Sheff Weds and in March of that season he sold Peacock to Newcastle. the following season drove Francis out of the club and then in pre season of 95 sold Ferdinand to Newcastle and we all know what the outcome was.

Comment

Originally posted by stanistheman View Post
                  It was a good season to watch, but had some poor peformances in some games that cost the team quite a lot of points. If Liverpool fans hadn't got English clubs kicked out of European competitions QPR would have played in the UEFA Cup again. Funny how today's UEFA bosses can't issue blanket bans to a country's clubs.

I listened to the interview with Richard Thompson about holding on to the players, then just before the next season kickwd off he sold Sinton to Sheff Weds and in March of that season he sold Peacock to Newcastle. the following season drove Francis out of the club and then in pre season of 95 sold Ferdinand to Newcastle and we all know what the outcome was.
                  Can’t really blame Thompson , we were a well run club back then . Sinton pushed for his move for more money , we got good money for Peacock and he was joining a much bigger club .Les had served his time with us and deserved his move .The real problems came when Wilkins wasted the money on poor signings.

Comment

Originally posted by stanistheman View Post

Never did like Rich turd Thompson! Sold us down the river, sold our best players, got rid of Gerry, and as has been said, great player for us and lovely bloke Ray Wilkins was, his poor judgement in recruitment of Mark Hateley, Ned Zelic, Simon Osborn er al, ultimately cost us and relegation ensued the following season.

Comment

Originally posted by Stainrod View Post

Can’t really blame Thompson , we were a well run club back then . Sinton pushed for his move for more money , we got good money for Peacock and he was joining a much bigger club .Les had served his time with us and deserved his move .The real problems came when Wilkins wasted the money on poor signings.
                      I think we have to agree to disagree on this.

Yes, we got good money for them, but as Ferdinand said in the interview QPR were just one or two signings away from having a trophy challenging or winning team - a better keeper i.e..Nigel Martyn from Bristol Rovers for £1M could have made a huge difference could have been signed a few seasons earlier.

Thompson also pushed Francis out of the club. Those decisions cost the club dearly and led to Wilkins being appointed as manager. I do agree that Wilkins then wasted the money from selling Ferdinand on next to useless signings of Hately, Zelic, Osborne and Somner.

Comment

Working...
                      X