Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh and I watched it too
    I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post
      Been watching Sunderland til I die on Netflix - fly-on-the-wall docuseries on Netflix. Quite a good watch.
      Anyway, you get to see their magnificent stadium, offices, academy and training/medical facilities - all top notch and fantastic. I suspect they must have amongst the best you can get.
      Thing is, despite that first class set-up the team is totally garbage and the players are useless. It starkly illustrates that a fancy training ground is NOT a panacea or magic bullet for success. Sure, given a choice of rundown clapped out training ground or state of the art facilities anyone would prefer the latter. However, if money is tight I'm not convinced a new training ground would be first item on my list of ways to improve a team..... I'd spend the cash on actual player contracts and coaches.
      Sunderland till I die is a brilliant watch. As said beautiful facility’s

However I don’t agree with that last bit, tho Sunderland players are naff. a good team and a good training facility can go hand in hand and make an outstanding end goal

Most premier league teams have great training ground and that’s no coincidence.

players spend like 90% of their time there, hugely under valued in fans eyes because we only see match day
      Under Les Ferdinand:
      Luke Freeman, top assists in the league: 4million
      Alex Smithies, great goalie for this club: 3,5million
      Charlie Austin, 19 Premier League goals: 4million
      Jack Robinson: Contract ran out, left for free
      And many more mistakes

LES FERDINAND, IT'S TIME TO GO

Comment

Definitely definitely......heard it all before

Comment

My point is it shouldn't be top of the shopping list. A decent coach will only need some bibs, a bag of balls and some cones. If the starting point is a duff team, a poor stadium and an overdraft I can't see how the state of the art high-tech training facility is the immediate answer. Fair do's if the squad is decent, the stadium is up to date and there's money/investment in the club but until that point is reached I can't see the point.
          One thing..... It would make a lot of sense for a few clubs/teams (ie not necessarily all football teams) to pool their resources and share a facility. It seems wasteful for every football team and rugby club in London to have individual facilities. Huge economies of scale and access to elite levels of service in terms of rehab, nutrition, physio etc etc would be possible.

Comment

Why should it take 18 months before work gets started on it?.
            it will then take another year or so building the facilities.
            but as said already, take it with a pinch of salt .

I don't expect a new stadium any time this decade at the rate the club is going so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post
              My point is it shouldn't be top of the shopping list. A decent coach will only need some bibs, a bag of balls and some cones. If the starting point is a duff team, a poor stadium and an overdraft I can't see how the state of the art high-tech training facility is the immediate answer. Fair do's if the squad is decent, the stadium is up to date and there's money/investment in the club but until that point is reached I can't see the point. One thing..... It would make a lot of sense for a few clubs/teams (ie not necessarily all football teams) to pool their resources and share a facility. It seems wasteful for every football team and rugby club in London to have individual facilities. Huge economies of scale and access to elite levels of service in terms of rehab, nutrition, physio etc etc would be possible.
              it will definitely help to attract younger players. It’s why Man United always take younger players they are looking to sign to their Carrington training facility.

Comment

Originally posted by Northolt_Rs View Post

it will definitely help to attract younger players. It’s why Man United always take younger players they are looking to sign to their Carrington training facility.
                True and QPR would be in a better position to go back to what they did in the 70s and 80s and develop 3-5 young players for the 1st team squad every 2 or 3 seasons.

We need to get more of the likes of Eze & Chair when they are still at school rather than hope to pick them up after other clubs have rejected them.

I know it is still not a guarantee that they will stay on to sign professional i.e. Sterling or Sancho (Watford to Man City then Dortmund), but we might get to keep a few or at least get some financial recompense as we did from Liverpool with the former Rangers schoolboy.

Comment

Working...
                X