Questions about strikers, recruitment and progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QPROslo View Post
    We had no money to spend in the Januar 2019 transfer window. We put together more or less an entire new squad during the 2019 summer window on a total transfer fee budget of £50.000. We have once again put behind us a window without spending, in order to keep our ammunition for the upcoming transfer window dry. By 1 July 2020 we are out on the three year FFP rolling interval that includes the devastating loss of the 2017/2018 season and we have again freedom to spend a bit.

I think the higher hierarchy of the club has considered it better to sign a couple of good young hungry strikers for a couple of million pounds each during the upcoming summer window than to spend at inflated prices during this recent window, also having in mind the fact we are probably sailing very close to the wind in terms of FFP.

On the back of this I believe it is unfair to accuse Les or any other key decision makers for lack of acquisitions of strikers or players for any other positions for the sake.

The fact is that we are doing amazing given the financial constraints we are under. I simply cannot understand the criticism that keeps coming up with reference to lack of ambition and lack of spending. It is like criticizing a poor working man for not buying a Rolls Royce so he can move around in some style.
    But it is not about having big money. It is about having the right eyes, in the right places, and crucially, at the right time, to uncover the Toney’s before they become out of our league. The problem is we are not doing that. Why not? Is 2 odd years not ample enough time to find a single up and coming young striker? We have found none.

Secondly, if we are afraid of “putting all eggs into one basket”, and splashing 2-3m on one striker, then think offside the box and deploy an alternative strategy and take on 3 young strikers @500k each, total outlay 1.5m, coach them, improve them, and ultimately work on the probability that 1 will work out, 2 will fail. This is the role of DoF. It requires a business brain and a football brain. Not one or the other. We need action and conviction, not procrastination, dithering, or worst still, the wrong quality of scouting.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny View Post

But surely the real question is we didn’t identify Toney BEFORE he went to P’Boro and became in-demand and want 5-7m. His record of 1 in 2 as a young lad aged 18-21 in the lower leagues is impressive. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Toney

Now he’s 23 and our of our league.

Who is the next Toney type and why aren’t we finding them?
      I agree.

QPR should have a better scouting system, one that can spot these players. The Dof is responsible for setting one now. The club cannot afford to buy goalscorers so scouting talented prospects and bargains is vital.
      Les has been in the role for 5 seasons now. We must see progress in this matter being made.

Comment

Originally posted by Stainrod View Post

On the other hand Toney had been at Newcastle and never got a look in .Why accuse us of not buying him when he has never played above league 1 level and no other club has taken a punt on him .The Washington scars run deep for a club in our financial position.
        Toney is one but example. Levels are important yes, but a good scout can see a player regardless. We are simply not finding any. Why not?

If the Washington scars run deep; those scars must be repaired, and if they cannot, removed, since they are affecting club decision-making, action, and progress.

Comment

But it is not about having big money. It is about having the right eyes, in the right places, and crucially, at the right time, to uncover the Toney’s before they become out of our league. The problem is we are not doing that. Why not? Is 2 odd years not ample enough time to find a single up and coming young striker? We have found none.

Secondly, if we are afraid of “putting all eggs into one basket”, and splashing 2-3m on one striker, then think offside the box and deploy an alternative strategy and take on 3 young strikers @500k each, total outlay 1.5m, coach them, improve them, and ultimately work on the probability that 1 will work out, 2 will fail. This is the role of DoF. It requires a business brain and a football brain. Not one or the other. We need action and conviction, not procrastination, dithering, or worst still, the wrong quality of scouting.
          Paul Smyth is an example , young talent we took a punt on for little money . Truth is he probably will never be good enough to play at this level . Off the top of my head apart from Watkins at Brentford I don’t know of a lower league striker doing at this level . Millwall spent £1 million on Bradshaw from Walsall last season and he has had no real impact .I think this is a tough area to recruit in for all teams at championship level and above as its always a gamble and for a club with no money even more so .

Comment

Paul Smyth is an example , young talent we took a punt on for little money . Truth is he probably will never be good enough to play at this level . Off the top of my head apart from Watkins at Brentford I don’t know of a lower league striker doing at this level . Millwall spent £1 million on Bradshaw from Walsall last season and he has had no real impact .I think this is a tough area to recruit in for all teams at championship level and above as its always a gamble and for a club with no money even more so .
            Watkins is a great example. We scouted Wheeler at Exeter, and took him, whilst his team mate Watkins went to Brentford. The rest is history. But one thing is clear- we got the wrong player despite having watched Exeter for months.

The key question is why small clubs like P’Boro, are able to find striker after striker after striker for little to no money, but QPR cannot?

If finding good strikers, or any players for that matter, was all about money, then the entire football league might as well give up. Fortunately, it more to do with quality of scouting (role = scouts) and conviction of decision-making (role = DoF types).

The same comparison can be made with large corporate companies and start-ups or smaller companies. Large companies with huge amounts of cash should be able to dominate markets. But time and time again, the young-start up competes, grows, and in time, becomes a big fish themselves. That shouldn’t realistically happen, but is does, continuously.

Why? Because they out-think, and out-innovate the competition. Where are we innovating as QPR?

Comment

The key question is why small clubs like P’Boro are able to find striker after striker after striker for little to no money, but QPR cannot?

If finding good strikers, or any players for that matter, was all about money, then the entire football league might as well give up. Fortunately, it more to do with quality of scouting (role = scouts) and conviction of decision-making (role = DoF types).

The same comparison can be made with large corporate companies and start-ups or smaller companies. Large companies with huge amounts of cash should be able to dominate markets. But time and time again, the young-start up competes, grows, and in time, becomes a big fish themselves. That shouldn’t realistically happen, but is does, time and again.

Why? Because they out-think, and out-innovate the competition. Where are we innovating as QPR?
              But Peterborough are buying for a different level , their gamble is far less than a championship club . Toney for instance has not stepped up a level and proved himself he has moved sideways and carried on doing what he was doing .You seem to be using Peterborough as an example of recruiting but how many of these Peterborough strikers have ever gone on to do anything above league 1.

Comment

But Peterborough are buying for a different level , their gamble is far less than a championship club . Toney for instance has not stepped up a level and proved himself he has moved sideways and carried on doing what he was doing .You seem to be using Peterborough as an example of recruiting but how many of these Peterborough strikers have ever gone on to do anything above league 1.
                To be clear, this is not just about PBoro. Championship sides like Brentford and Barnsley have superb player scouting and recruitment.

And thus, one final time; the question remains, which you have not yet answered, why are we not able to compete like the above small clubs?

Comment

the difference in the way Brentford is run and us is truly shocking
                  I must away now, I can no longer tarry
                  This morning's tempest I have to cross
                  I must be guided without a stumble
                  Into the arms I love the most

Comment

To be clear, this is not just about PBoro. Championship sides like Brentford and Barnsley have superb player scouting and recruitment.

And thus, one final time; the question remains, which you have not yet answered, why are we not able to compete like the above small clubs?
                    Let’s not forget we scouted Bos , Hall , Eze , Freeman ,for very little money.I agree we need a striker but let’s not pretend we have missed the boat on many because as I said I can only think of Watkins that have stepped up recently.

Comment

BRAVO JONNY, some great points and I’ve been criticised for years regarding them

Our DOF (Les Ferdinand) is not doing his job correctly

Great points Jonny. LES OUT
                      Under Les Ferdinand:
                      Luke Freeman, top assists in the league: 4million
                      Alex Smithies, great goalie for this club: 3,5million
                      Charlie Austin, 19 Premier League goals: 4million
                      Jack Robinson: Contract ran out, left for free
                      And many more mistakes

LES FERDINAND, IT'S TIME TO GO

Comment

Originally posted by lymehoop View Post
                        the difference in the way Brentford is run and us is truly shocking
                        Please tell us something we don’t know . Brentford haven’t gone through the boom and bust we have over the last 10 years but our fans seem to think that’s not an issue.

Comment

It sounds like we haven't scouted and found a single player during the recent seasons. But if I am not mistaken there are few clubs that can now possess a longer list of valuable young players outside the Premier League. With the likes of Eze, Chair, BOS, Manning, Smyth and Masterson we are not doing bad at all. There are a lot of other youth players knocking on the door, of which Dalling excited me a lot when seeing him play in a U23 match, as did some of the other youngster that have not yet broken through.

We have spotted a lot of offensive minded players, like some of those above, but the out-and-out striker is missing. If we find and develop gems for 5-6 positions out of 11 we are doing much better than most clubs. But some will of course always find reasons to moan if we don't find and develop own players for all the 11 positions on the field.

Comment

Some very good points by many made in this discussion, there are lots of questions as to exactly what the club strategy is, perhaps more clarification to the fans would be helpful! As QPROslo points out our hands are tied until this summer transfer window! I still think we are playing a very dangerous game especially being left so thin at the important striker position, if we survive this season and are able to improve for next many of us will say job done, that's a real big IF at this point!
                            @gatorTFC

Comment

Originally posted by gator View Post
                              Some very good points by many made in this discussion, there are lots of questions as to exactly what the club strategy is, perhaps more clarification to the fans would be helpful! As QPROslo points out our hands are tied until this summer transfer window! I still think we are playing a very dangerous game especially being left so thin at the important striker position, if we survive this season and are able to improve for next many of us will say job done, that's a real big IF at this point!
                              Spot on Gator

Comment

Originally posted by gator View Post
                                Yes, but one risk has to be balanced against another one. If we took a gamble and got a striker on board but turned out to break FFP and later got docked 12 points I can tell you that most fans would be furious at our risk profile. Its easily damn if you do, damn if you don't. Personally, I have a lot of understanding for the difficult situations the club faces and I think that we manage very well in the circumstances.

We are right now between a rock and a hard place, but things will look much better from the summer of 2020. If we can get another 10 points on board between now and end of the season and manage to stay up I think we will see an exciting strengthening of our squad once again, but now based on spending some fair amount on money, not just on getting on board freebies.

Comment

Working...
                                X