FFP, Ownership and Warbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FFP, Ownership and Warbs

Just watched the full 90 mins of the Blackburn game, the frustration really made me think about the state of our club right now.

It's safe to say FFP has hit us really hard. We're now a selling club until we generate enough funds to build a team that's capable of challenging. Find cheap, sell high e.g Bright, Eze, Chair etc. Loans and free transfers will fill the rest of the squad.

It's unfortunately the result of years of poor decisions from the board. They seem to have got it right now, but its going to be a long and tedious process. As fans we're just going to have to accept that the Nahki Wells situation is one that we're going to see more often. Eze & co will go when the price is right, and that money will be used to find more of the sort. Repeat until you have a squad thats capable of challenging and a profitable football club. I hate to say it, but Brentford are coming towards the end of this exact model and are now reaping the rewards. It's painful to lose your best players, but it's the way things are going to be in the near future.

Warburton IMO is the man to take us forward through this process. His style of football gives us an identity we've lacked for so many years, but also gets the best out of players (especially forwards). I have doubts that Eze, Wells and Hugill would have scored/assisted as many in other setups, it's a smart way of adding to their value. I can see the fans frustrations defensively, but I struggle to think of another manager that would do any better with the squad at hand, its a poor squad on paper. We're lucky to be in a position where a manager wants to be part of a project and everyone (including the board, FINALLY) is moving in the same direction.

I say 'lucky', realistically this situation never needed to happen. The magnitude of poor decisions made after promotion was ridiculous, we had a platform to stick around in that league for a very very long time. Our fan base has turned very toxic in recent years, but I cant help but think its justified. You cannot expect the fans to not be frustrated by our current situation, we took 2 steps forward and 10 steps back. 2 promotions and 2 relegations later, we're back to square 1. The board seem to have bucked their ideas up, but it's madness to expect fans to get on board without backlash.

Patience is running very thin due to years of poor decisions, the irony is patience is exactly what is required for the next phase of our football club to be successful.

Great post Brad... full of wisdom, true and insight.

Comment

I honestly don't know how long we are supposed to put up with this shite. My first game of the season this Saturday too
      I must away now, I can no longer tarry
      This morning's tempest I have to cross
      I must be guided without a stumble
      Into the arms I love the most

Comment

Just glad I am not a Sunderland or Bolton supporter. Their boards must be really toxic.

Comment

Originally posted by bradrangers View Post
          Just watched the full 90 mins of the Blackburn game, the frustration really made me think about the state of our club right now.

It's safe to say FFP has hit us really hard. We're now a selling club until we generate enough funds to build a team that's capable of challenging. Find cheap, sell high e.g Bright, Eze, Chair etc. Loans and free transfers will fill the rest of the squad.

It's unfortunately the result of years of poor decisions from the board. They seem to have got it right now, but its going to be a long and tedious process. As fans we're just going to have to accept that the Nahki Wells situation is one that we're going to see more often. Eze & co will go when the price is right, and that money will be used to find more of the sort. Repeat until you have a squad thats capable of challenging and a profitable football club. I hate to say it, but Brentford are coming towards the end of this exact model and are now reaping the rewards. It's painful to lose your best players, but it's the way things are going to be in the near future.

Warburton IMO is the man to take us forward through this process. His style of football gives us an identity we've lacked for so many years, but also gets the best out of players (especially forwards). I have doubts that Eze, Wells and Hugill would have scored/assisted as many in other setups, it's a smart way of adding to their value. I can see the fans frustrations defensively, but I struggle to think of another manager that would do any better with the squad at hand, its a poor squad on paper. We're lucky to be in a position where a manager wants to be part of a project and everyone (including the board, FINALLY) is moving in the same direction.

I say 'lucky', realistically this situation never needed to happen. The magnitude of poor decisions made after promotion was ridiculous, we had a platform to stick around in that league for a very very long time. Our fan base has turned very toxic in recent years, but I cant help but think its justified. You cannot expect the fans to not be frustrated by our current situation, we took 2 steps forward and 10 steps back. 2 promotions and 2 relegations later, we're back to square 1. The board seem to have bucked their ideas up, but it's madness to expect fans to get on board without backlash.

Patience is running very thin due to years of poor decisions, the irony is patience is exactly what is required for the next phase of our football club to be successful.
          Nothing new their fella , it’s what I’ve been saying for a while now but it’s not what some fans want to hear , some want to keep shouting and screaming about the past.The future could be bright if we stick with it . There are plenty of clubs in our league that are in a financial mess and are only about to start what we have been through.

Comment

Originally posted by Stainrod View Post
            Nothing new their fella , it’s what I’ve been saying for a while now but it’s not what some fans want to hear , some want to keep shouting and screaming about the past.The future could be bright if we stick with it . There are plenty of clubs in our league that are in a financial mess and are only about to start what we have been through.
            100%

Comment

Post is spot, the disappointing thing for me is as a businessman I can't bring in a salesman on 100k etc not knowing if he's going to succeed but TF played a gamble and to a certain extent trusted Hughes Redknapp etc to do the right thing instead of thinking we only generate X income we can't sustain this sorry no.

Moving forward ive no hangups in youth being sold and we replace with 2-3 better players team game not individual so if Eze is flogged or at moment more worryingly I think Bos will go 1st and we get a couple of full backs and a CF so be it.

Going to be a long road to recovery maybe a decade or more who knows thats football, id like to know how Derby Leeds are doing what there doing within FFP possibly doing a saracens

Comment

Originally posted by shaggy24 View Post
                Post is spot, the disappointing thing for me is as a businessman I can't bring in a salesman on 100k etc not knowing if he's going to succeed but TF played a gamble and to a certain extent trusted Hughes Redknapp etc to do the right thing instead of thinking we only generate X income we can't sustain this sorry no.

Moving forward ive no hangups in youth being sold and we replace with 2-3 better players team game not individual so if Eze is flogged or at moment more worryingly I think Bos will go 1st and we get a couple of full backs and a CF so be it.

Going to be a long road to recovery maybe a decade or more who knows thats football, id like to know how Derby Leeds are doing what there doing within FFP possibly doing a saracens
                Sheff weds , Birmingham , Forest also . It will all come to roost for them .

Comment

Makes me wonder if Fernandes and Beard had any Excel spreadsheets skills, pretty simply stuff to see you are overspending by millions.
                  I have supported Rangers for 55 seasons, since March 1969.

Comment

They knew alright, but gambled on staying in the PL to pay it all off with Sky money

As others have said, we're on the right road now, just hope the EFL have the balls to smash the other cheating clubs too

Comment

If the efl has the courage to penalise should of applied same penalty to brum instead of points, ok they may not of been as reckless as us but Derby must be flaunting loophole after loophole

sadly it’s all irrelevant of the club as it’s fans that ultimately punished

Comment

Originally posted by shaggy24 View Post
                        If the efl has the courage to penalise should of applied same penalty to brum instead of points, ok they may not of been as reckless as us but Derby must be flaunting loophole after loophole

sadly it’s all irrelevant of the club as it’s fans that ultimately punished
                        The rules were changed after our misdemeanour.

Comment

Well we will going into next year with a weaker financial position than Brentford, IMO that is the long term failure of the club. Brentford will have more corporate/money making opportunities because there chairman came into the club with a plan and stuck to it ! We have had to put up with a number of chiefs at the club and now we seem to have a new tighter budget approach due to FFP and we seem to have a clear plan.
                          FFP however dictates how much we can spend, and this means without a better more financially stronger ground we will be a mid-table championship club.

However I am not going to say Warburton is bad or good, for me he is another great coach but not a man manager and this is because we are working under this system of a DOF who takes no responsibility for results but ultimately decides who to sell and who to buy. This in my opinion is why Warnock never returned as he would not work under that system.

Praise however, the club has done a fantastic job in bringing through young talented players and maybe the best era of that for many years. With people looking at Manning, BOS, EZE and IMO soon will be Masterson we seem to be on the right track. I seriously do not understand us loaning young players as all we are doing is building other clubs academies ! I am sure its a cheap approach but shouldn't we be giving game time to our own players. Example is 26 year old Josh Scowen has just left and would we of been able to recoup more if he was playing?

Not all bad, not all good ! We as fans need to see some successes going forward... I mean training ground, Ground progress and an effort to stay in a cup !

Comment

The issue for me is that it seems like Warburton keeps changing a winning formula without really knowing it. On the other hand, as a club with a huge dept and a reputation as a not particularly modern run organisation, I think we are close to doing everything right now. We are on the up. Definetly.
                            QPR
                            Best team in the world
                            Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by CroydonCaptainJack View Post

The rules were changed after our misdemeanour.
                              Not too sure what would of been worse points deducted or the fine ok we would of gone down but I’m not sure how long before we find our feet again. Not knocking warbs in any way but TF and co have seriously ballsed things upc

Comment

Working...
                              X