Passing out from the back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passing out from the back

Just seen Tottenhams' 1st goal where Middlesboro's defence pass the ball back to their keeper who passed it to Lamela who shot and scored and also Newcastle's 3rd goal against Rochdale. It came after Rochdale played the ball around their defence and then the keeper passes it to Newcastle's Almiron who then shot & scored.

So it's not just QPR and Lumley that this happens to. I have seen goals conced like this plenty of times this season and what it tells me is that it is a terrible tactic that managers/coaches are trying to get their defenders and keepers to play.

Managers trying to make footballers out of footballers. It will never work.

Comment

Loads of teams muck it up. It looks simple on paper but it requires players who can pass crisply and accurately to feet and an ability to instantly kill/trap the ball. If a pass is several inches off target it instantly puts the receiver under more pressure. If a player takes an extra touch to control the ball they're under pressure. It's like a chain reaction and the simple move out of defence is hugely compromised once one player cocks up even a little bit. If a couple of elements go wrong it all becomes disastrous.
      What really gets on my wick is fact that football is so shoddy in this country there are loads of blokes with dodgy basic passing/trapping skills who still get employed as professional footballers???? Dunno why coaches and managers can't recognise when they have players who lack the basics and just advise them to welly the ball upfield and avoid trying anything exotic such as putting their foot in the ball and having a look to see who's on.

Comment

Some teams do it for the sake of it. Sometimes it can be done but any threat then play it longer.

Comment

Haven’t most of our mistakes come from Lumley miss kicking or mishandling rather than playing out from the back . If we had a competent goalkeeper I’m not sure it would be such an issue . Yes there is more risk involved playing that way but some teams think it’s worth it if you can suck the opposing team in and beat their press.

Comment

I watched the last 20 and Boro had no shape, resorted to route one football and got a goal!

I think our issue is we seen to pass over greater distances instead tight, neat, pass and move.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe90 View Post
              I watched the last 20 and Boro had no shape, resorted to route one football and got a goal!

I think our issue is we seen to pass over greater distances instead tight, neat, pass and move.
              I'd say for the last two to three years we've lacked cohesion between the midfield pivot and the attacking quartet.

We always look afraid to use our centre mids and more pertinently, they always look afraid to come short to receive the ball.

When they do, you'd expect the other cm to come and give options, or one of the wingers to drop in to create a forward opening.

Instead what happens is the ball goes back to the centre back or keeper, which would be fine if they drew in attackers and then capitalised on the space behind them.

Only issue is that they just lob it upfield to marked players, who inevitably lose the ball and we end up back at square one.

If there was some movement in midfield, we'd be much further up the table but Dom Ball is basically a tall Scowen when it comes to playing forward balls (never does) and Amos always looks isolated when he receives the ball.

We're so reliant on individual moments of skill or pure luck when it comes to attacking phase of play, we're so lucky to have players like Eze and BOS who actually have these skills. Any other players than those two and we wouldn't have the goalscoring prowess we have had.

I'd be curious to see Ilias Chair move into one of the midfield two spots should Clarke be finalised. His dynamicism and willingness to come for the ball could really help us out a lot there.
              "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Make you right Ness. Always has been our problem the connection between defense and midfield.

Comment

It’s pros and cons. Lumping it and losing the aerial battle can also bring pressure back on the team and reduce the chances for an effective attack. Got to the right people for it to work well, but also be prepared to mix it up

Comment

Hoof the bloody thing upfield and get the midfield to stick a foot in win the ball. Throw an elbow in their face for good luck too.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post
                      Hoof the bloody thing upfield and get the midfield to stick a foot in win the ball. Throw an elbow in their face for good luck too.
                      Shall we get Pulis or big Sam in while we’re at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stainrod View Post
                        Big Sam would be great. We'd be in the Ptemier League within two years, then we could reward him with the sack and appoint the latest Mark Hughes.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post

Big Sam would be great. We'd be in the Ptemier League within two years, then we could reward him with the sack and appoint the latest Mark Hughes.
                          Yeah I’m up for that we could legends like Bosingwa , Barton and swp back , what could go wrong ?

Comment

Originally posted by Stainrod View Post
                            Big Sam was on Brazil's breakfast show on talksport
                            Says that managers seem to be brainwashed into this playing out from the back.
                            Says it takes unnecessary risks and doesn't have to be played that way to get success

Comment

Originally posted by QPRDave View Post

Big Sam was on Brazil's breakfast show on talksport
                              Says that managers seem to be brainwashed into this playing out from the back.
                              Says it takes unnecessary risks and doesn't have to be played that way to get success
                              I’d say that’s why the likes of Sam and pulis are out of work for so long .Playing possession football is not their style.

Comment

Working...
                              X